Wholesale Sports is closing.

JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Wholesale Sports is closing.

Post by JLives »

kgcayenne wrote:Anyone have recommendations for finding good hiking shoes in WK? We don't want to 'go into town' if we can avoid it, besides The North Face store on Bernard is gone, Sport Check has lack of inventory/sizes, and Atmosphere has hours that just don't work for our schedules, unless we want to take time off work and ensure the purchase of two pairs of hiking shoes costs $500.

You're going to have to bite the bullet and come to the good side of the lake. :biggrin: Mark's Work Warehouse or Redd Hart has what you need. Mark's is less expensive. I buy most of my footwear there.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Even Steven wrote:It doesn't cost the store money if I pop in and check things out. They're already open. They already have staff. They already have lights on. They're not spending extra money on me walking into the door.

And if they can't compete with online, they're dinosaurs.

If you have no intention of buying anything at the store, that's taking advantage of the sales staff's time when they could be helping paying customers.

It's bit like going to a full service station to have them clean your windshield, then driving across the street to the self serve to buy your gas.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Poindexter wrote:
Even Steven wrote:It doesn't cost the store money if I pop in and check things out. They're already open. They already have staff. They already have lights on. They're not spending extra money on me walking into the door.

If you have no intention of buying anything at the store, that's taking advantage of the sales staff's time when they could be helping paying customers.

It's bit like going to a full service station to have them clean your windshield, then driving across the street to the self serve to buy your gas.

Yup
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Poindexter wrote:

And the store has laid out cash to pay for those shoes/clothes/whatever that you want to try on for free, before you go buy them somewhere else.

How about instead, you order a couple different sizes online so you can try them all on to fit for size then return the ones that aren't suitable?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bunnyhop wrote:How about instead, you order a couple different sizes online so you can try them all on to fit for size then return the ones that aren't suitable?

You apparently have no clue what it costs for shipping in Canada.
I order from China all the time and to return a defective item would cost many times the value of the item.
It's just not worth the hassle/cost.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Bsuds wrote:
Bunnyhop wrote:How about instead, you order a couple different sizes online so you can try them all on to fit for size then return the ones that aren't suitable?

I order from China all the time and to return a defective item would cost many times the value of the item.

Bunnyhop was making a point only. Tongue in cheek
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Bsuds wrote:

Well, the store that you want to go try stuff on for free had to pay shipping fees to get their inventory in the door.

They don't pay those fees just so people can come in and try stuff on, then spend their money elsewhere.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bunnyhop wrote:
They don't pay those fees just so people can come in and try stuff on, then spend their money elsewhere.

I agree and my point was that clothes and shoes are not something that is easy to purchase on-line.

You're the one who said buy 2 and send one back.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Poindexter wrote:

No its not.

Vast majority of people visiting stores have no intentions of buying anything. I'm just one of them.

Ask anybody who works retail and they'll tell you that only minority of people stepping into the store buy things. Hence the expression "just looking".
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Even Steven wrote:Just try it out locally, find the exact style you like, exact size that fits you, and order it from Amazon. You'll save yourself 30% at least.

There's also Zappos.com

When a customer says, "just looking", it's a polite way of saying they don't need to be waited on. But that's not what you're doing when you're trying on clothing and shoes to find the exact size. What you are in fact doing is tricking them into helping you out when there is no chance of a sale therefore no intention of compensating them for their efforts. So you are not politely saying you don't need their service, you are saying, "I want your service but I want it free".
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Poindexter wrote:
Even Steven wrote:Just try it out locally, find the exact style you like, exact size that fits you, and order it from Amazon. You'll save yourself 30% at least.

There's also Zappos.com

When a customer says, "just looking", it's a polite way of saying they don't need to be waited on. But that's not what you're doing when you're trying on clothing and shoes to find the exact size. What you are in fact doing is tricking them into helping you out when there is no chance of a sale therefore no intention of compensating them for their efforts. So you are not politely saying you don't need their service, you are saying, "I want your service but I want it free".

Exactly. Big difference between "just looking" and "I would like to try on/use the invenory that you paid for, at no cost to me so I can go somewhere else to buy the exact same item".
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Amazon is not always cheaper and quite often with shipping is much more expensive. You really need to make sure you know your prices. (as with any purchase)
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Poindexter wrote:What you are in fact doing is tricking them into helping you out when there is no chance of a sale therefore no intention of compensating them for their efforts.

What part of "only a minority of people stepping into the store buy things" you fail to understand?

There are hordes of people stepping into the store with no chance of sale.

That's how retail works.

Next thing you know you'll be getting your panties in a bunch over me going to a website and using their electricity and not buying anything lol.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Even Steven wrote:What part of "only a minority of people stepping into the store buy things" you fail to understand?

There are hordes of people stepping into the store with no chance of sale.

That's how retail works.

Next thing you know you'll be getting your panties in a bunch over me going to a website and using their electricity and not buying anything lol.

Oddly enough I did get my panties in a bunch, that's how they packaged them at the local store I bought them from. :D

Return to “Central Okanagan”