City trees and the mess/cost

gsc
Board Meister

City trees and the mess/cost

Post by gsc »

So I have a dilemma with a city tree. We bought our place about 5 years ago and hate the city tree right next to our property line. The roots have tore up our lawn for the second time now. The leaves are small and a pain to rake up every fall. This tree also drops small sap balls on all our vehicles witch we half to rinse off every day before the sun melts them to the paint. along with all the leaves filling my gutters grrrr.

We have now also replaced our front side walk to our front door as the roots lifted it and cracked it. something needs to be done about them. our street is lined with them and don't get me wrong the street looks nice with them but I hate mine.

I want to tell them to cut it down but have a feeling that wont happen. I work for a company that is licenced and insured and would even do it for free through the company. I am calling tomorrow and will post up how this conversation went.
I'm going to tell them they can send someone to rake up my leaves and clean my gutters in the fall and in the spring someone can come wash our vehicles. I know they will laugh and say not gonna happen.

I am also tempted to tell them if they don't fix this problem that I am free to fix my lawn "again for a 3rd time" and will kill & poison all the roots on my person property. this might kill the tree as well though "cough cough that my plan".

my neighbour is sick of them too as now the roots are getting very close to her driveway. a few of us hate them and think they should be replaced or removed.

what would you do if you had to fix your lawn ever year or couple years along with the side walk getting wrecked and sap?
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: City trees and the mess/cost

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

If some vandal girdled the tree, it would soon die..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ interesting, promoting vandalism.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Roundup root injection. :up:
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:If some vandal girdled the tree, it would soon die..

Oh bummer haha.. I just don't think I should half to deal with there tree wrecking my yard.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

lightspeed wrote:Roundup root injection. :up:

yep and could be done from my personal property as now the roots are into half my yard
Last edited by gsc on Sep 17th, 2017, 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Copper nails in the roots in your yard will do it also .
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Bman wrote:Copper nails in the roots in your yard will do it also .

I never thought of that one. That's not a bad idea
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I'd be putting them in now.
Lots of them.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Bman wrote:I'd be putting them in now.
Lots of them.

I am gonna call tomorrow and see what they say first. I also can't put them in the tree only the roots on "my personal property". That way my butt is covered as I was on my own property.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I sense that you are very frustrated it can be a lot of work.
Copper us really expensive right now btw... and it's probably slow, and if the tree died, they can still tell it was maybe vandalized, it just took longer.
It may actually be on City property. We don't own the first portion if our yard, we just getvto maintain it till the day the city decides they need it..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I sense that you are very frustrated it can be a lot of work.
Copper us really expensive right now btw... and it's probably slow, and if the tree died, they can still tell it was maybe vandalized, it just took longer.
It may actually be on City property. We don't own the first portion if our yard, we just getvto maintain it till the day the city decides they need it..

The tree is on city property but is about 2 to 3 feet away from my property line. The roots from it on the other hand are well past my property line and well clearly wrecking my property
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

gsc wrote:The tree is on city property but is about 2 to 3 feet away from my property line. The roots from it on the other hand are well past my property line and well clearly wrecking my property

Couple of things:
1) tree roots can be anywhere from 1.5 to 4 times the size of the canopy
2) I guess it depends on how deep property ownership actually goes.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

why dont you just do what a couple other people in town did with nuisance trees the city owns...just cut it down.
doesn't seem to be any consequences for that action.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

GordonH wrote:
gsc wrote:The tree is on city property but is about 2 to 3 feet away from my property line. The roots from it on the other hand are well past my property line and well clearly wrecking my property

Couple of things:
1) tree roots can be anywhere from 1.5 to 4 times the size of the canopy
2) I guess it depends on how deep property ownership actually goes.

Oh I know how big the root system can get. I just want it gone.

Return to “Central Okanagan”