Hyatt on Enterprise

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Hyatt on Enterprise

Post by MAPearce »

just popping in wrote:
60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:I don't for See a huge problem ..yet..
Entrance off Spall heading North.
Exit onto Enterprise heading East.
1/2 the folks have to loop around the block, but it should work..

Perhaps, but do you actually believe that will be the way it is done?

Still a very congested area most of the time.

Ya know .. One more business on Enterprise Way and the traffic will be so bad , I won't have to bother waiting for the light at Cooper to change to go for lunch ... It's already bad enough that I can wait 30 seconds and I can jay walk between sweaty , irritated motorists ...

Hell , If they put in a hotel at Spall and Enterprise , I'm opening up a "Mikes FAMOUS kebabs" stand on the corner of Hardy...

I'll be RICH !
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Might as well build.
Be hard pressed to f :cuss: K things up too much more in ways of
congestion !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

My understanding from years ago was that when Enterprise was first put in it could be expanded to 4-lanes in the future if and when traffic congestion got heavier. Well, if you City of Kelowna planners did not notice............the future is here and has been for a while.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

If they can have hotels on Robson street with car access, they can sure as he'll figure it out on Enterprise..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote:If they can have hotels on Robson street with car access, they can sure as he'll figure it out on Enterprise..

The last hotel I stayed at in that area had more than enough under ground parking for their guests and still had
room for authorized day/night pay parking.

Didn't ease anything once on the streets though.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Raven1 »

The question I have is where are the employees for this hotel going to come from? I'm not speaking of location within the city, I'm talking about where are they going to find the people to fill the positions required to operate a facility of this size.

Locals already don't want to do menial work for minimum wage.
spooker

Post by spooker »

lesliepaul wrote:My understanding from years ago was that when Enterprise was first put in it could be expanded to 4-lanes in the future if and when traffic congestion got heavier. Well, if you City of Kelowna planners did not notice............the future is here and has been for a while.

Repeat after me, "induced demand" ... just like the 6-laning of Hwy 97 is an idiotic move ... build it bigger and the only thing that happens is that more cars will use it ... doesn't help congestion one whit ... it's what North America has learned from L.A. and Houston ...
jasond_71
Board Meister

Post by jasond_71 »

Could they not use the newly acquired rail line to make a bypass or at least upgrade the road? I'm not sure how wide it is but it already follows Clement which is already 4 lanes then basically parallels Enterprise and hits the highway just past where Enterprise hits the highway if you look at google maps. There already is a path beside Clement, maybe it could accomodate a road and bike path. Again I'm not sure if it is wide enough for a road.
spooker

Post by spooker »

jasond_71 wrote:Could they not use the newly acquired rail line to make a bypass or at least upgrade the road? I'm not sure how wide it is but it already follows Clement which is already 4 lanes then basically parallels Enterprise and hits the highway just past where Enterprise hits the highway if you look at google maps. There already is a path beside Clement, maybe it could accomodate a road and bike path. Again I'm not sure if it is wide enough for a road.

The width of the rail trail corridor would be able to handle 2 lanes of traffic ... one in either direction ... with nothing else, no sidewalks, no cycling infrastructure ... and building the subsurface to handle cars is a large factor more costly than a walking/cycling path that isn't even going to be paved ... and think about the new lights that would have to be built with another driving corridor crossing Dilworth etc ...

But again, if you build more roads you just get more traffic ... more congestion ... more frustration ... only by changing the mode shares do you actually start solving how many people get around smoothly ...
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Raven1 wrote:The question I have is where are the employees for this hotel going to come from? I'm not speaking of location within the city, I'm talking about where are they going to find the people to fill the positions required to operate a facility of this size.

Locals already don't want to do menial work for minimum wage.

No different than all the other new hotels the City approved. Believe it or not, there are people who work for minimum wage, however, they work two, three jobs to make ends meet and most of the jobs are only good for tourist season/Christmas and they have to go on E.I. OR there is always the popular Foreign Workers program.

Return to “Central Okanagan”