Name the New School

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Name the New School

Post by WalterWhite »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... new-school

Oh yay - another effigy to an architect. How about designing/building something practical, instead of the very best that money can buy? I can just hear it now - new upper Mission school - Richy Rich Elementary; Silver Spoon Middle School; Audi-Beemer Middle School. Truth be told, it should simply be "Too Small Before It Opens" - in keeping with every other school project built in the district.

Looking at the rendering, the first thing that jumps out at me is, why are the buses having to travel through the entire parking area - along with every other mini-van-driving-soccer-mom dropping off/picking up their bubble-wrapped prince/princess? Why not have a dedicated drop off/pick up area out of the parking area to improve traffic flow?
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Name the New School

Post by JLives »

It has to be School McSchoolyface. There is no other option.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

JLives wrote:It has to be School McSchoolyface. There is no other option.

Lol - hands down winner.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

PigPen Middle School..
Seriously which Kelowna school actually had that nickname for a few years when it opened ?
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Name the School:

A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

Another Wasted Economic Spending Of Monies Extorted !

Middle Schools are a total waste of money.

Elementary from K-8, High from 9-12, Simple,
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

dirtybiker wrote:Name the School:

A.W.E.S.O.M.E.

Another Wasted Economic Spending Of Monies Extorted !

Middle Schools are a total waste of money.

Elementary from K-8, High from 9-12, Simple,

I nominate dirtybiker for our next Premier
Back in the day when I was in school it was K-7. Whats one more year. And RSS started 9-12 last year
I agree eliminate the middle school.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Too Small to Fund, Too Big to Close

There, named. [icon_lol2.gif]
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
KevinJP
Fledgling

Post by KevinJP »

How about Okanagan Mission Middle School. If you name it after someone, then someone will be offended.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

There's no benefit to having Grade 8's and Grade 12's in the same building. I knew plenty of kids, mostly girls, who went off the rails when they hit high school. Middle schools don't prevent that completely but it's a much healthier environment for students.

Kelowna needs a new middle school to serve the south end of the city. Right now KLO Middle does this, but because of the large population base in the south, KLO is in the northern end of it's own catchment area. Currently, many kids who live fairly close to KLO have to bus or be driven to Dr. Knox. I know I know, it's only 8 km, they should be walking, but that conversation is for another day.

I'm a little surprised by the cynicism in this thread but I probably shouldn't be.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

how about the 1percenter school,can we put the new freedoms door building there, see how well that goes over
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

My Kidlet goes to KLO, just told me it is mostly known as:
Kelowna's Last Option in the stead of Kelowna Land and Orchard. [icon_lol2.gif]

Never heard that before !

Still think Middle Schools are a waste.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

JayByrd wrote:There's no benefit to having Grade 8's and Grade 12's in the same building. I knew plenty of kids, mostly girls, who went off the rails when they hit high school. Middle schools don't prevent that completely but it's a much healthier environment for students.

Kelowna needs a new middle school to serve the south end of the city. Right now KLO Middle does this, but because of the large population base in the south, KLO is in the northern end of it's own catchment area. Currently, many kids who live fairly close to KLO have to bus or be driven to Dr. Knox. I know I know, it's only 8 km, they should be walking, but that conversation is for another day.

I'm a little surprised by the cynicism in this thread but I probably shouldn't be.

As I understand, OKM is grades 7 - 12. There are many issues facing local schools - KLO is on it's deathbed, as is Rutland Middle School, yet the piss-poor planning when Chute Lake was built has now resulted in further exponential costs for yet another school in this area, while others are literally falling apart. The favorite acronym for KLO is Kelowna's Last Option - created by the kids that go there.

Sorry if my OP was tainted with cynicism,(yes, the Richy-Rich name-calling was uncalled for) it was a somewhat tongue-in-cheek rag on what has become some of the most expensive per square foot building costs of most structures built in BC - when that money could clearly be utilized in any number of better applications than flashy wood paneling, massive energy sink clerestory courtyards and glass facades. Architects have long sought after education projects as the funds are astounding in what is now considered standard building costs for schools. Instead, they should be creatively inventing building practices that would allow for cost-effective additions and expansions rather than portables. Standard exterior finishes and get rid of these over-built architectural wonders and build simple solid long lasting structures - and put the excess funds back into the programs that continually are cut and pared back every year.

Take a look around Kelowna and how many schools have portables on their grounds. The latest gong show was the application of raw cedar and corrugated metal in an attempt to make them a bit more "contemporary" looking. A year later, and the cedar planking is grayed and water-stained giving these one step up from cardboard boxes an even more abandoned look.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

dirtybiker wrote:My Kidlet goes to KLO, just told me it is mostly known as:
Kelowna's Last Option in the stead of Kelowna Land and Orchard. [icon_lol2.gif]

Never heard that before !

Still think Middle Schools are a waste.

Lol - while I was penning my latest novel I added the exact same comment about Kelowna's Last Option. It's been known as that for some time now.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

KevinJP wrote:How about Okanagan Mission Middle School. If you name it after someone, then someone will be offended.

The acronym would be OMMS....kinda reminds me of Buddhist chanting

[icon_lol2.gif]
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... Schoolface

Canyon Falls, Myra Canyon and Ki-Low-Na.

How original.
And they wonder how "Schooly McSchoolface" could be popular. Anyone want odds on Ki-Low-Na being the winner?

Return to “Central Okanagan”