Name the New School

dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Re: Name the New School

Post by dogspoiler »

With the natives whining and bellyaching about having names changed because they don't like them, calling it Ki Low Na would be ridiculous.
Black Dogs Matter
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

I like Canyon Falls.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

WalterWhite wrote:
Looking at the rendering, the first thing that jumps out at me is, why are the buses having to travel through the entire parking area - along with every other mini-van-driving-soccer-mom dropping off/picking up their bubble-wrapped prince/princess? Why not have a dedicated drop off/pick up area out of the parking area to improve traffic flow?

I suspect no vehicles will be allowed in the parking lot area except staff vehicles and buses. There are other schools in the area with a similar land design. Any students arriving by parent's vehicle will be dropped off at the street.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Piecemaker wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:
Looking at the rendering, the first thing that jumps out at me is, why are the buses having to travel through the entire parking area - along with every other mini-van-driving-soccer-mom dropping off/picking up their bubble-wrapped prince/princess? Why not have a dedicated drop off/pick up area out of the parking area to improve traffic flow?

I suspect no vehicles will be allowed in the parking lot area except staff vehicles and buses. There are other schools in the area with a similar land design. Any students arriving by parent's vehicle will be dropped off at the street.

A school of that size, and no on site parking for visitors or parents? If so, it's even further flawed than originally thought. Take a visit to Anne McClymont in the Mission and see what a daily fluster-cuck the pick up/drop-off is there.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Street parking is sufficient for parents and visitors at local schools. There is never that many there at once. It's also easy enough to restrict entry to the school parking lot during the times that the buses are there. Middle-school students have no need to be delivered right to the door. I live very close to a middle school and the parents picking up and dropping off their children do so at the sidewalk. The liaison RCMP officer even parks on the road. During the day there are never more than a couple cars parked on the street at any one time.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Piecemaker wrote:Street parking is sufficient for parents and visitors at local schools. There is never that many there at once. It's also easy enough to restrict entry to the school parking lot during the times that the buses are there. Middle-school students have no need to be delivered right to the door. I live very close to a middle school and the parents picking up and dropping off their children do so at the sidewalk. The liaison RCMP officer even parks on the road. During the day there are never more than a couple cars parked on the street at any one time.

You've never been to Dorthea Walker......
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

BCTF Hall of NDP Indoctrination! :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Old Techie wrote:BCTF Hall of NDP Indoctrination! :biggrin:

School of Sacred Socreds!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

I'm surprised that Frost Road Middle School wasn't in the top names being considered.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

MAPearce wrote:You've never been to Dorthea Walker......

Dorthea Walker is an elderly school. It was there long before Gordon Drive became a major route with no parking allowed along the stretch near the school. This thread is about naming a new school and a poster was wondering about the parking lot design and parking about the new school, about which I gave an opinion. Nevertheless, one can go short distance to a side street and park one's vehicle if one needs to visit Dorthea Walker during school hours. I am unfamiliar with the parking lot rules at that school and do not know if they have visitor parking in the lot or not.
Back to the topic, I prefer Canyon Falls or Myra Canyon over Ki low na.
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

WalterWhite wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/206899/Name-citys-new-school

Oh yay - another effigy to an architect. How about designing/building something practical, instead of the very best that money can buy? I can just hear it now - new upper Mission school - Richy Rich Elementary; Silver Spoon Middle School; Audi-Beemer Middle School. Truth be told, it should simply be "Too Small Before It Opens" - in keeping with every other school project built in the district.

Maybe if you had a chip on each shoulder your views would be more balanced. You seem to think that the Mission is an area of super-rich. It actually has both rich and poor - just like every other area of Kelowna.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

lensbaby wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/206899/Name-citys-new-school

Oh yay - another effigy to an architect. How about designing/building something practical, instead of the very best that money can buy? I can just hear it now - new upper Mission school - Richy Rich Elementary; Silver Spoon Middle School; Audi-Beemer Middle School. Truth be told, it should simply be "Too Small Before It Opens" - in keeping with every other school project built in the district.

Maybe if you had a chip on each shoulder your views would be more balanced. You seem to think that the Mission is an area of super-rich. It actually has both rich and poor - just like every other area of Kelowna.

Lighten up Nancy. My post was actually mocking the fact that Mission is always referred to as Snootyville, and was more aimed at the money spent on architects than function in new schools. Furthermore, there are other schools such as KLO and ZRutland Middle School in dire need of replacement that should take precedence over a new Mission middle school.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Wow. Get over yourself. There is nothing wrong with the school design. Just because it doesn’t appear like a courthouse or prison doesn’t mean it isn’t functional.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Oct 23rd, 2017, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Omnitheo wrote:

Wow. Get over yourself. There is nothing wrong with the school design. Just because it doesn’t appear like a courthouse or prison doesn’t mean it isn’t functional.

I never said anything about it requiring to resemble a prison - it's the fact that far too much expense goes into aesthetics than it does function - and I got over myself a long time ago - you should try it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”