No We Don't Colin (need a bigger mall)

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: No We Don't Colin (need a bigger mall)

Post by Queen K »

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/21/investi ... index.html

Diamonds at shopping malls just aren't selling. Could it be more on-line jewelry stores are taking a bite out of bricks and mortar stores who have to charge huge mark ups to pay for leases?

We just were in Orchard Park today and two things struck me, a. how dated the place is, and b. how depressing it is in there.

I live here and only go three or four times a year, tops, and two are down already, in November. I guess there's Christmas shopping for the other two times.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

^^^^^

Ok, I will bite first, QK

You were shopping for diamonds, presumably for KAT chokers, and they are just not selling? Why on earth didn't you just put in a low-ball bid?

KATZ happy and looking good and you save $$$$

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Catsumi wrote:^^^^^

You were shopping for diamonds

She can only afford diamonds in their natural pre-pressure state...coal. :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You're getting two lumps of coal in your stocking Bsuds.

Catsumi wrote:^^^^^

You were shopping for diamonds, presumably for KAT chokers, and they are just not selling? Why on earth didn't you just put in a low-ball bid?

KATZ happy and looking good and you save $$$$

:biggrin:

KATZ, if I'm buying diamonds, they're all for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
pepecat
Board Meister

Post by pepecat »

Queen K wrote:http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/21/investing/kay-jewelry-jared-zales/index.html

Diamonds at shopping malls just aren't selling. Could it be more on-line jewelry stores are taking a bite out of bricks and mortar stores who have to charge huge mark ups to pay for leases?

We just were in Orchard Park today and two things struck me, a. how dated the place is, and b. how depressing it is in there.

I live here and only go three or four times a year, tops, and two are down already, in November. I guess there's Christmas shopping for the other two times.

You should consider doing the Christmas shopping downtown. You get fresh air, friendlier people, and a great variety of locally-owned shops. I'll take that over torture park anyday.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Alas, the debate is "do we need a bigger mall" and from whatever it was that I described the answer is "no." What we need is better merchandise. The drek I saw was unbelievable and I can't believe it's selling.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: No We Don't but getting New tenant for old Sears?

Post by Fancy »

Appears not getting a bigger mall but a bigger parking lot.

Demolition plans have been submitted to the city's planning department for the former Sears location at the northeast corner of the mall.

"About half of the (Sears) building will be demolished and turned it into parking. They are going to expand parking," says planner Adam Cseke.

"The whole parking lot is getting reconfigured, and they are adding parking."

Cseke says the Dilworth entrance will also be closed off.

According to plans, Canadian-owned Mark's Work Warehouse would move into the other half of the former Sears store.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#251613
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Hope the additional parking is in the form of a parkade, maybe 2 or 3 stories, like they do in other parts of the world. A surface lot would not be as efficient use of land. Holidays, black Friday and other events the mall is a nightmare to find parking. If they want to compete against online business they need to up their game.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

According to the picture there's no parkade.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

marks work ware house :135: :135: that's the best they can do, wow that will really bring the people in the mall :135:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Be a good tenant - the Kelowna store was always busy when I'm in there. Good place for work clothes/footwear/casual clothing/sportswear.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Shopping malls will soon become a thing of the past. Online shopping will eliminate them.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

People have been saying that for years but it's not happening like people expected.

https://morningconsult.com/2018/02/22/s ... k-to-past/

Online shopping will never eliminate all stores as long as there's competition and if the major malls rethink their spaces.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Fancy wrote:People have been saying that for years but it's not happening like people expected.

https://morningconsult.com/2018/02/22/s ... k-to-past/

Online shopping will never eliminate all stores as long as there's competition and if the major malls rethink their spaces.

If it's not happening, how do you explain all the retailers that are closing, going bankrupt, or revamping their marketing strategy because of online buying?
There are some really big names, that have shut down already, or are in the process of doing so, and of the remainder many are struggling.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Knowing the rent is rather high plus the owner of OPM has its hands inside store owners pockets as well (taking % of sales).
Got to be kinda foolish opening a store in opm.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Central Okanagan”