No We Don't Colin (need a bigger mall)

artistwithaflare
Board Meister

Re: No We Don't Colin (need a bigger mall)

Post by artistwithaflare »

Malls gather the community....its a social thing. Maybe they will add a hotel? The new Edmonton mall?
On line shopping is for reclusive people and busy executives.
but, give the tourists( and rich) what they want! :up:
Shop shop ...till you drop! [icon_lol2.gif]
Just say it as it is!
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Queen k wrote:

For what it's worth, I was in downtown Oliver, BC that day. Two days ago exactly. We love to stop in there for lunch at any number of their restaurants.

That's more my thing, like the small eclectic shops and restaurants over mall shopping. Spending g a day in the mall window shopping and eating cafeteria food seems like punishment to me.

We were out fishing on Kal the other day and stopped by the importer that's located on that once busy intersection on the old highway. Store almost seems forgotten now that new hwy bypasses them. She had neat stuff that the owner had picked up on her travels in the off season. Got a good start on Christmas shopping on really unique items for what seemed like a steal because she doesn't have to pay to be located in a mall. Then for dinner at turtle Bay pub overlooking the marina.

I can maybe understand the draw of a mall in the winter but for me it's a place I'll avoid if at all possible.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

It is dated, and has been expanded. I suppose if it’ll be torn down to make a place for a nicer mall, we can all order what we need online. Thing I am not too keen on with the current mall, there are 4 jewelry stores yet they sell basically all the same stuff. Lots of clothing stores to a point where I can’t make a cotton picking. Shoes everywhere and even those are practically homogenous throughout the mall. Higher prices than specialty shops. It seems as tho the entire mall is like a mega-zellers with walkways and high prices.
I find the new men’s shop near the food court interesting (I admire the straight edge razor with the mammoth tusk handle), and the food court itself. Oh yeah, I like Cora restaurant.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

When I moved to Kelowna OPM was much smaller with 3 main/big stores, 2 are still here.
The Bay
Sears (only 1 on northwest corner)
Woolco

That was back mid 80s

Added: the builders should have designed it for a second floor add when needed.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Back in the late 80s, and early 90s (shortly after a significant addition), I thought newer portion was, indeed constructed in a manner that would allow for a second storey.

Don't take my word for it, I just worked in a store and read the newsletters put out by the mall mgmt, and for some reason, that little tidbit stuck.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

kgcayenne wrote:Back in the late 80s, and early 90s (shortly after a significant addition), I thought newer portion was, indeed constructed in a manner that would allow for a second storey.

Don't take my word for it, I just worked in a store and read the newsletters put out by the mall mgmt, and for some reason, that little tidbit stuck.
GordonH wrote:When I moved to Kelowna OPM was much smaller with 3 main/big stores, 2 are still here.
The Bay
Sears (only 1 on northwest corner)
Woolco

That was back mid 80s

Added: the builders should have designed it for a second floor add when needed.

There was much discussion at the time it was constructed about going up instead of out and making provisions for it in the future - and the same answer was paraded out every time the question was asked; "studies showed shoppers did not like to go up".
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ I guess no one asked those who shop at West Edmonton mall, Eatons Centre or any malls in major cities throughout NA.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

GordonH wrote:^^^ I guess no one asked those who shop at West Edmonton mall, Eatons Centre or any malls in major cities throughout NA.

Exactly.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

As a young person, the grandiose feel of a multi-storey mall was exciting. I am surprised that it was found to be the opposite.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:I guess no one asked those who shop at West Edmonton mall, Eatons Centre or any malls in major cities throughout NA.

WalterWhite wrote:Exactly.

Could you imagine how big West Edmonton mall would be if it was single level. Customers would need to use golf carts to get around.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

With deep enough pockets anything is possible, even a second level at OPM. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
EdCase
Board Meister

Post by EdCase »

Woodenhead wrote:I haven't been to a mall in at least 4 years. And that was just to grab something from the food court.

Old people like malls though.

No I don’t - I like Amazon Prime - reasonable annual membership and delivered to my door in 2-4 days for free. Many of us ‘old people’ are some of the biggest adopters on on-line shopping - convenience, choice, price - in that order.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane
Marcus Aurelius
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

EdCase wrote:
Woodenhead wrote:I haven't been to a mall in at least 4 years. And that was just to grab something from the food court.

Old people like malls though.

No I don’t - I like Amazon Prime - reasonable annual membership and delivered to my door in 2-4 days for free. Many of us ‘old people’ are some of the biggest adopters on on-line shopping - convenience, choice, price - in that order.

:up:

I agree.

To me the mall may have been a good place to hang out looking for girls when you're a teen, but after that they became just a nuisance place, where self absorbed people wander around banging and crashing into you, because it's too much effort to bother watching where they are walking.

Never mind that the prices for items are guaranteed to be higher, than if you went to some smaller store front elsewhere.

I remember when I first relocated here back in 88 I got my hair cut at the mall and it cost over twenty bucks. I still don't pay that much at my regular place now and they just upped the price by two dollars. All you're doing at a mall is lining the pockets of places like RioCan.

I'm sure some will declare outrage but as far as I'm concerned, given the crazy prices charged per square foot for retail space, I feel it's criminal that they also have the nerve to expect a percentage of the business's sales on top of that. In my mind if you haven't invested in the business, or risked anything to make it happen, you have zero right to expect a share of the sales.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Dizzy1 wrote:^^^ I've ordered two T-shirts online, both times the print wasn't as nice as depicted in the picture online. Sent them back.

But I'm a very fussy shopper, I need to see or hold something in my hand before I take the plunge.

Bang on.

Microsoft just collected 3k from me on one of their laptops. No way i would have come close to going that route had i not been able to touch and feel.
Clothing and other more personalized items are the same for me.

Models and strategies will change but he brick and mortars arent going anywhere anytime soon.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I predict sophisticated bricks and mortar, niche market stuff and severe confusion by producers on whether trying to sell personally on-line is better than placing items on shelves.

I still like tactile and try on before I buy. Nothing will replace that. Yet.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Central Okanagan”