No We Don't Colin (need a bigger mall)

Terris
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: No We Don't Colin (need a bigger mall)

Post by Terris »

entertained

Post by entertained »

Colin is all about growth. This city is growing way too fast. I was out for lunch the other day and heard a well known developer say" I love this city council, we get what ever we want' Suites everywhere, no parking, outrageous traffic...Colin if you want a bigger city, please move. Some poor lady that lives downtown has to walk blocks with her groceries because she can't park in front of her house. He could care less. As long as his face book friend developers are looked after that's all that matters. Ya kind of off topic. :biggrin:
HP
Board Meister

Post by HP »

Ya kind of off topic

And misinformed. The "Colin" in this case is not Colin Basran but Colin Banfeld who wrote a letter to Castanet about the thing Kelowna needing is a bigger mall.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/206947/Kelowna-needs-larger-mall
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

entertained wrote:Colin is all about growth. This city is growing way too fast. I was out for lunch the other day and heard a well known developer say" I love this city council, we get what ever we want' Suites everywhere, no parking, outrageous traffic...Colin if you want a bigger city, please move. Some poor lady that lives downtown has to walk blocks with her groceries because she can't park in front of her house. He could care less. As long as his face book friend developers are looked after that's all that matters. Ya kind of off topic. :biggrin:

Wrong Colin, how embarrassing.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

That’s what ha;pens when people don’t even read the original post that starts the discussion. :topic: :digging:
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
jimmystewart

Post by jimmystewart »

kgcayenne wrote:
Hassel99 wrote:Its being built across from the airport. Sucks for the WK crew.

Maybe not. Costco delivers most things right to your door when you order online (shipping costs included). So while the rest of you all stand there in line and deal with dufuses in the parking lot, I just wait for my doorbell to ring.

Every item from Costco.ca that is also carried in the store has a higher online price to make up for the "free" shipping lol. Small items are usually around $10 more. Larger items at least $50 or sometimes $100 more I have noticed.
jimmystewart

Post by jimmystewart »

Even Steven wrote:The Orchard mall IS small, dingy, outdated, and absolutely bland. Every time I go in there it's like stepping into 90's. Then I go to Town Center Mall and step into 80's. Then you go to Rutland Highway 33 mall and step into doodie.

Basically, all Kelowna malls are dingy and outdated. They all need to be renovated and modernized. But I doubt there's enough demand for a much bigger mall in Kelowna. The economy has changed to smaller places and online deliveries.

That is something you need to bring to the store owners if it bothers you so they can nag away at the land lords to make improvements. The shop owners can barely afford the rent as it is, and fixing the places up the land lords are going to have to raise rent to get it paid back.

Look at all the business that tried to make a go of it on the WFN land on the west side. They are charging roughly the same amount per square foot for rent as downtown Vancouver does and people wonder why they can't afford to keep open for business. They are the modern ugly strip malls that everyone should be flocking to haha

Anyway, like it has been said before, the mall concept is dying off, and brick and mortar retail business model for that matter is dying off as well. Everything is going to online with a warehouse or going back to niche mom & pop stores that people want to support.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

jimmystewart wrote:.

The shop owners can barely afford the rent as it is, and fixing the places up the land lords are going to have to raise rent to get it paid back.

By barely affording the rent do you mean, draining their personal saving accounts? To be clear, it is rare that small business owners in any mall actually make enough money store level to cover all their expenses, plus take a pay check themselves. In almost all cases, they pay out of their own accounts to cover losses and rarely earn a pay check themselves. The only thing that keeps most going is hope. They hope things will turn around. They hope they will become profitable one day and they hope they can actually take a pay check home one day. When the reality sets in, or the savings and investment monies run dry, they fold. Hope dissolved.

Don’t believe me? Ask yourself, how many small business owners are actually still in any mall these days?(apart from fast food franchises) There’s a reason malls are dominated by large chains. The chains add more stores to give them a larger overall square foot footprint. This makes them, in their minds more attractive to investors and thus they have more money coming in. They write off the losses that most stores incur and they save big on taxes. This plan too is failing and that’s why the chains are closing down fast.

Again Colin, we don’t need a bigger mall!
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Maybe a new mall is a good idea... but include 40 stories of condos above the two or three stories of mall.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Sears is closing it's Kelowna Home Store.

Sorry it's going. I suppose some big anchor store may try to take its place (compete with on-line shopping).

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#207936
Last edited by Queen K on Sep 30th, 2017, 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I thought it was the home furnishing store that's closing.

As it continues to restructure amid a financial crisis, Sears Canada has applied to close its Kelowna Home Store.

Sears Canada is continuing to operate its retail stores and website at sears.ca as it continues its restructuring efforts

Castanet
Last edited by Fancy on Sep 30th, 2017, 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The Kelowna Home Store is still huge.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

True but pretty empty of people any time I've been in there. Other stores getting the big overhaul and I'm wondering if the home store inventory is being redirected to the retail stores.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Queen K wrote:Sears is closing it's Kelowna Home Store.

Sorry it's going. I suppose some big anchor store may try to take its place (compete with on-line shopping).

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#207936

Correct me if I'm wrong but I found that headline a bit confusing, as it suggest Sears is done here in Kelowna, but isn't the "Home" store the thing that sells furnishings and appliances at the south side of the Mall, while the north side store is a regular Sears and remaining?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

It looks like both sears stores are closing.

The 10 full-line Sears Canada stores announced for closure include the following:

-Nanaimo North Town Centre, Nanaimo, BC
-Brentwood Town Centre, aka 'The Amazing Brentwood', Burnaby, BC
-Orchard Park Shopping Centre, Kelowna, BC
-CF Polo Park, Winnipeg, MB
-CF Lime Ridge, Hamilton, ON
-Oakville Place, Oakville ON
-CF Fairview Mall, Toronto, ON
-Scarborough Town Centre, Toronto, ON
-CF Fairview Pointe-Claire, Montreal QC
-Avalon Mall, St. John's, NL

As well, a separate Sears Home Store will also close at Kelowna’s Orchard Park Mall.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retail-insider/2017/9/sears-canada-announces-11-store-closures

Return to “Central Okanagan”