No We Don't Colin (need a bigger mall)

Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Re: No We Don't Colin (need a bigger mall)

Post by Hmmm »

Jlabute wrote:Are we having a bet?
I think these two large locations will be boarded up for a few years, like downtown woolco. Homeless will walk by and pee on them. Then after no bites, they will be partitioned in to tiny shops which will collectively earn owners more rent.

I bet you’re right.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Orchard Plaza filled the Target spot. I would imagine Orchard Park will do the same and may have prospective tenants waiting for the opportunity.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Fancy wrote:Orchard Plaza filled the Target spot. I would imagine Orchard Park will do the same and may have prospective tenants waiting for the opportunity.

Perhaps but the trick isn't filling them, it's filling them with a stable long term tenant, and we are in a time where many of the big names are struggling.

When old names like Eaton's, Sears, and The Bay, are all fighting to keep their heads above water, who do you rent to with any kind of expectation that the store will survive for any length of time?

I believe stable anchors are going the way of the dinosaur.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

It sure appears that the diehard "online shoppers" here are bitter folks :-X . "Good riddance", "who needs brick and mortar"..........pretty sad that their entire world revolves around their convenient I-Phones [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] . Pretty sure a lot of their shopping is also done from the comfort of their vehicles........."look at the shoes I bought"..........BANG!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

lesliepaul wrote:It sure appears that the diehard "online shoppers" here are bitter folks :-X . "Good riddance", "who needs brick and mortar"..........pretty sad that their entire world revolves around their convenient I-Phones [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] . Pretty sure a lot of their shopping is also done from the comfort of their vehicles........."look at the shoes I bought"..........BANG!

*removed*

I could make the argument that my method is a heck of a lot greener than yours as I'm not burning gasoline driving around a dozen shops groping those shoes, simply to decide in the end that maybe it wasn't a good day to buy shoes anyway. [icon_lol2.gif]
Last edited by ferri on Oct 2nd, 2017, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 2nd, 2017, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: personal attack
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

If you say so.

I viewed it more as someone simply opting to use a different approach than yourself, and who simply shared some opinions as to why malls are suffering the decline that they are.

I do happen to support local retailers in many ways still, but since they invented the internet, I can do all the research I want from my desk, without having to waste gas and put up with mindless dolts walking around malls, oblivious to everything but themselves.

Truth be told I'm willing to bet retailers like shoppers such as myself, who walk into the place directly to the item wanted, get into the checkout line to pay for it and leave, this as opposed to the touchy feely types who have to dig through inventory making a mess and creating extra work for sales personnel. :biggrin:
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

Old Techie wrote:I can do all the research I want from my desk, without having to waste gas and put up with mindless dolts walking around malls*, oblivious to everything but themselves.

...walk into the place directly to the item wanted, get into the checkout line to pay for it and leave...

(*not to mention traffic)
That's basically how I shop. Sometimes I hit a store in town, but more often than not I can't find it in Kelowna so I buy online (note that this includes buying from a local store's online storefront/inventory) rather than settling for a lesser product purchased in town. Either way, it saves a lot of hassle - in multiple ways.
Your bias suits you.
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

He will likely get his wish, in part, not for a second enclosed mall that we don't need (in my view) (case in point: struggling Capri Mall that is nearly half vacant and is the subject of a redevelopment plan into mixed-used commercial/residential), but in a significant expansion and exterior renovation to the remaining exterior portion of Orchard Park Shopping Centre now that its owner, H&R REIT had made a bid to take back the leases to the Sears and Sears Home (former Eaton's) locations, assuming the Court approves its bid of course. :)

I suspect, or hope, Leon's might be interested in the Sears Home space, which needs less exterior renovation given that it's exterior siding is somewhat of a "hybrid" from the newer painted stucco and older interlocking bricks. The Sears full-line location will need major interior and exterior upgrades (rats have reportedly made a home within the store, according to employees who shall remain nameless). I suspect we shall it demised in varying-sized stores not too dissimilar from the last major renovation about 10 years ago when Wal-Mart vacated and Tommy Hilfiger (now Old Navy) and Tim Horton's came to the mall. :)

Cheers,
Doug
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

Old Techie wrote:I'd say with both Sears locations in OPM closing they'll have a sizeable square footage to get leased out, and it seems to me large anchor tenants are getting harder and harder to come by.

I'm guessing they'll likely remodel the Home store and make it into smaller spaces, which in essence means less need for another mall.

Correct except the Sears Home space, at ~45-50,000 sq. ft. stands the best chance at landing an anchor tenant (my "top pick" is for Leon's). :)

The Sears full-line store, at ~95,000-100,000 sq. ft. will be almost certainly demised. :)

Cheers,
Doug
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

Hmmm wrote:Value Village and an Amazon pick up location my guess.

Hrm, the Kelowna Value Village is successful and their Westbank location seems to be doing surprisingly well. That's not a bad idea for part of the full-line Sears department store location, perhaps paired with a JYSK and a number of smaller format stores? :)

Kelowna could probably support two Value Villages, but an exterior renovation to the side facing Dilworth Drive likely would be necessary to accommodate the Community Drop-Off Centre fixture. ;)

Cheers,
Doug
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

^^^^ I was kidding, but it is somewhat feasible. Cheap is where it’s at is basically the thing. Higher priced goods where significant savings can be found, is what’s driving the internet sales. Interesting enough, I just ordered supplements that are very good from an :D :up: online store for about 30% off what I usually pay at Natures Faire. They ship in under a week too. I have done it 4 times previous so I know it’s excellamt. They even sell Kicking Horse coffee cheaper, pet food and other normally expensive items much cheaper. PM if you want the link.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Another sign of how malls are faring in general? https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... -100-sites
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

If you want a good indication of the health of retail tenancy in O.P. mall, take a wander down the aisles in january and look at all the empty store spaces.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

^^^ that's for sure. If people ever have a change of heart about Christmas and decide it should be more about God or family than presents, then look out malls. Perhaps to stay in business, shops will start selling burquas, turbans, and ceremonial daggers. I see them around town especially at Superstore, older Indians wearing 6"+ daggers. It scares the jbeibers out of me.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Central Okanagan”