Contracting out laundry and real issues

put-for-dough
Fledgling

Contracting out laundry and real issues

Post by put-for-dough »

Imagine going to work as a cleaner and finding you have no mops to do the floors or no cloths to sanitize areas that need to be sanitized. Imagine your loved ones or people you care about having to live or have surgery in less than sanitary conditions. The new laundry provider for Interior Health has been unable to provide the Hospital with the necessary supplies for the cleaning staff to adequately to do their job. Going in to work to no mops ,having to use cleaning cloths to mop floors. What a sad situation with no recourse. Thanks to our prior Liberal Government. So when the rooms and emergency are not up to par maybe you can try cleaning with no mops or cloths.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Contracting out laundry and real issues

Post by maryjane48 »

sad but no surprise . we knew this was coming
trollsonpatrol

Post by trollsonpatrol »

Perhaps we need to look at the company from the United States that sets the policies for our health regions. We send millions of our MSP dollars to a Virginia company every year and they dictate the policy of our health region. Google Maximus Corporation and read it for yourself. The real sad part is that money is sent away and not spent in B.C. So there is no tax return benefit to the province. Surely there is a company in B. C. That can administer policy to our health regions. At least the money would be respect here with appropriate tax returns to the province.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

put-for-dough wrote:Imagine going to work as a cleaner and finding you have no mops to do the floors or no cloths to sanitize areas that need to be sanitized. Imagine your loved ones or people you care about having to live or have surgery in less than sanitary conditions. The new laundry provider for Interior Health has been unable to provide the Hospital with the necessary supplies for the cleaning staff to adequately to do their job. Going in to work to no mops ,having to use cleaning cloths to mop floors. What a sad situation with no recourse. Thanks to our prior Liberal Government. So when the rooms and emergency are not up to par maybe you can try cleaning with no mops or cloths.

Imagine that the cloths you clean the operating rooms with are visibly dirty. Imagine that when the linens do come , some of them are still noticeably damp . Imagine that all the sheets and blankets and scrubs are ridiculously wrinkled. This is what happens when you penny pinch to increase profits. Imagine that the taxpayer gets to pay double for this great service. Imagine that IHA is seemingly allowing the contractor to set policy and dictate what IHA will accept , instead of the other way around.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

evidence or you are just bitter
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Oh yeah, laundry.

That's the real issue!
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

gman313 wrote:evidence or you are just bitter

Ask anyone who works there about dirty or wrinkled linens. While most of the details of the contract are kept secret , the cost and scope of work are readily available to anyone who isn't too lazy to do some research.
Would be great if people who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about an issue didn't bother to comment. ANYONE who pays taxes , and knew ANYTHING AT ALL about the issue would , and should be bitter. Aside from the whole paying a contractor who donated to the Liberal party more to do less issue , why would I be bitter ? I moved into a different job that pays more , smells less , isn't sweltering in the summer , isn't freezing in the winter , and doesn't kill my back and shoulders.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Even Steven wrote:Oh yeah, laundry.

That's the real issue!

No , just one of many.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

gordon_as wrote:
gman313 wrote:evidence or you are just bitter

Ask anyone who works there about dirty or wrinkled linens. While most of the details of the contract are kept secret , the cost and scope of work are readily available to anyone who isn't too lazy to do some research.
Would be great if people who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about an issue didn't bother to comment. ANYONE who pays taxes , and knew ANYTHING AT ALL about the issue would , and should be bitter. Aside from the whole paying a contractor who donated to the Liberal party more to do less issue , why would I be bitter ? I moved into a different job that pays more , smells less , isn't sweltering in the summer , isn't freezing in the winter , and doesn't kill my back and shoulders.

if you don't want people who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about an issue not to comment don't put it on a public forum.

I am a regular visitor of the hospital as I take my MIL for dialysis and transfusions regularly and have noticed 0 change in quality of linens etc. So my limited knowledge is based on being an observer.

Call John, i'm sure he will change it back for y'all
carltonbird

Post by carltonbird »

For a start I am not an past employee of the hospital or laundry. Yesterday I was driving down Cadder Ave. I was behind a pick up truck that was barely road worthy, a total rust bucket. White with a Harley sticker on the window. It was loaded with hospital blankets, most of them were not covered just out in the open. It looked like some had been wrapped in plastic but the plastic had broken away. I'm thinking that these are probably going somewhere to be given away ....wrong the truck went right to the hospital.
It looks like something you would see in a third world country.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Pretty sure those were not going to the hospital. Probably someone collecting up stained or damaged ones for a charity. The linen contractor does not transport the linens , they have subcontracted that out to a trucking company that operates newer semi's.
put-for-dough
Fledgling

Post by put-for-dough »

I just know when OR and nursing get to work and have no scrubs or when cloths and mops for cleaning are not available and half the time meant to spent working is spent looking for the mops and cloths to do the work because they are in such limited supply there is a problem. period.
rosalind neis

Post by rosalind neis »

It is a reality that employies of Interior Health are NOT permitted to go the media or talk negatively about IH policies or practices. The public should be VERY concerned about this as the people on the front lines are worried about public safety and also about financial accountability. I know for a fact that the Penticton OR had to pay for a courier to bring scrubs to their OR or surgeries would have to have been cancelled. I also know that in Kelowna OR employees have put so call "laundered" scrubs that still had blood on them. Worried about infection rate - you should be.
If I or any member of my family needed surgery or even a stay at any of these hospitals i would provided my own bedding, and have an advocate throughout the entire stay to ensure that my loved one didnt become more ill do the environment of our system.
The only way to change these decisions that have such dangerous implications is to attend IHA board meetings and let you concerns be know or write to the Minister of Health - Adrian Dix - or just dont get sick!!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

rosalind neis wrote:It is a reality that employies of Interior Health are NOT permitted to go the media or talk negatively about IH policies or practices. The public should be VERY concerned about this as the people on the front lines are worried about public safety and also about financial accountability.

Agree with you. But wanted to point out that this is standard practice for any business. Doesn't matter who you work for - if you go to the media to shine a negative light on the business you're going to be out of the job.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

TylerM4 wrote:
rosalind neis wrote:It is a reality that employies of Interior Health are NOT permitted to go the media or talk negatively about IH policies or practices. The public should be VERY concerned about this as the people on the front lines are worried about public safety and also about financial accountability.

Agree with you. But wanted to point out that this is standard practice for any business. Doesn't matter who you work for - if you go to the media to shine a negative light on the business you're going to be out of the job.

Many factors before "being out of a job".......................front page of the Globe and Mail for 3 days (safety issues) while working for a large Canadian company. After that they certainly had more respect in answering questions, especially when I asked.

Return to “Central Okanagan”