Contracting out laundry and real issues

rosalind neis

Re: Contracting out laundry and real issues

Post by rosalind neis »

evening - TylerM4 you of course are correct and i would agree with any private company on their right to muffle employees - however healthcare is supposed to be public - it certainly is funded publically and when employees of a publically funded service are not allowed to warn the public of concerns that may have dire consequences due to fear of losing their jobs - something is fishy in denmark!!! just saying .....maybe we public need to be a lot more concerned about healthcare and how the money is being spent.

take care - and stay healthy
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Contracting out laundry and real issues

Post by TylerM4 »

rosalind neis wrote:evening - TylerM4 you of course are correct and i would agree with any private company on their right to muffle employees - however healthcare is supposed to be public - it certainly is funded publically and when employees of a publically funded service are not allowed to warn the public of concerns that may have dire consequences due to fear of losing their jobs - something is fishy in denmark!!! just saying .....maybe we public need to be a lot more concerned about healthcare and how the money is being spent.

take care - and stay healthy

We'll have to meet somewhere in the middle.

I don't think any company has a right to muffle employees when it comes to public/employee safety and it appears that the courts agree. The key thing here is that a process should be followed. Has the employee notified management? Has the incident actually been verified? Has management been given appropriate opportunity to rectify the problem? If those steps are indeed followed - I'm confident that the employee won't reprimanded at the end of the day. At that point it transitions into a whistleblower policy. A provincial healcare whistleblower policy that's specifically designed to protect the whistleblower does exist: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/peopl ... _nov28.pdf

For the record - I firmly believe that contracting out is a bad idea in general. Lots of studies from reputable agencies agree with that position. Government/union employees may not be as efficient but there's no way they're so inefficient that a private business is going to maintain the same standard of service, make a profit, reduce costs, and treat employees well. Something's got to give.

Return to “Central Okanagan”