Sexsmith Rd and Reid's Corner daily Clusterduck

lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: Sexsmith Rd and Reid's Corner daily Clusterduck

Post by lesliepaul »

my5cents wrote:
lesliepaul wrote:IMPO I do not think a ticket as you mention would hold up in court.........too many variables at play.

How about this........my vehicle is the first vehicle stopped at a red light. Emergency vehicle comes up behind blaring his horn and flashing lights..........do I have to go through the red light to clear a path for the emergency vehicle?

I don’t see any variables. The law is clear, pull over and stop. Not hard to understand.

No, turn partially to the right and stop so they can get around you.

But if you are at a red light, that means there should be no oncoming traffic strange the emergency vehicle wouldn’t be on the wrong side of the roadway, to get by.

You do not have to enter a controlled intersection that is displaying a red stop light controlling YOUR movement to clear for an emergency vehicle that is behind you..........no matter how much they are blowing their horn. The decision to enter this intersection on a red light is up to you and if you do not you are not breaking any laws.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

lesliepaul wrote:You do not have to enter a controlled intersection that is displaying a red stop light controlling YOUR movement to clear for an emergency vehicle that is behind you..........no matter how much they are blowing their horn. The decision to enter this intersection on a red light is up to you and if you do not you are not breaking any laws.

Pulling to the right, in other words partially turning a bit to the right to assist the “trapped” emergency vehicle, in my vision of the circumstance isn’t “entering a controlled intersection”. I thought you were asking the question. Seems you don’t know what to do, but feel you know what you wouldn’t do.

The question was hypothetical anyway. Best course of action for the emergency vehicle is to not put themselves behind a vehicle in that position, which I indicated.

The “what if” game is silly, but I guess entertainment for some.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

my5cents wrote:[quote="
The question was hypothetical anyway. Best course of action for the emergency vehicle is to not put themselves behind a vehicle in that position, which I indicated.

The “what if” game is silly, but I guess entertainment for some.

I mentioned the scenario because of an accident many years ago in the States where a vehicle (car) were basically "bullied" by a fire truck at a controlled intersection..........they (the car) decided to move through the red light and were broadsided by a semi. Two people in the car were killed.

I mentioned the scenario because there is almost always someone out here that would state "give them a ticket" or they deserve a ticket" or "you have to move under any circumstances".
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

lesliepaul wrote:I mentioned the scenario because of an accident many years ago in the States where a vehicle (car) were basically "bullied" by a fire truck at a controlled intersection..........they (the car) decided to move through the red light and were broadsided by a semi. Two people in the car were killed.

I mentioned the scenario because there is almost always someone out here that would state "give them a ticket" or they deserve a ticket" or "you have to move under any circumstances".

So you have your answer, pull partially around the corner (your vehicle sorta on a 45° angle with the corner, you're not into the intersection, as well you have a fire truck with red light and siren in the intersection getting the attention of the cross traffic.

As I say, generally when an emergency vehicle arrives at an intersection at which there are vehicles already stopped at a red light, the best course is for the emergency vehicle to avoid the stopped vehicles and travel on the wrong side of the road. However depending on timing and the structure of the area (concrete barricades at the centre line, for example) things are always different.

There are many variables and motorists sometimes do the strangest things. Pulling to the curb and stopping and letting the emergency vehicle pick it's way through is the best.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

First off every single driver should be checking their rear view mirror often (reason you will see emergency vehicle flashing lights before you hear them).
If the light is red in the direction emergency vehicle is traveling in then cross traffic (even though they have a green light) should not enter intersection. Making it possible for traffic to get out of the way (who have red light), as well enabling emergency vehicle if need be to turn left or right at the intersection.

Key is enabling the emergency vehicle safe passage though the intersection.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Maybe it’s a good time for a new thread about driver’s interactions with emergency vehicles, no? This thread was more to do with the actual disruptions to traffic on account of the construction.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

WalterWhite wrote:Maybe it’s a good time for a new thread about driver’s interactions with emergency vehicles, no? This thread was more to do with the actual disruptions to traffic on account of the construction.

Always thinking eh Walter.............good one. Topics get side tracked so many times and I can be guilty of that like many others.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

That intersection is still such a clusterduck :130:
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Whyme2 wrote:That intersection is still such a clusterduck :130:

I was through that intersection twice today - round trips each time - so technically 4 times total. It was early afternoon for the first trip and traffic was moving fine. Second trip was at 4PM, and despite the large volume of traffic and things moving slow (that was normal in that area before the construction started) things were still moving along. The left turn onto Sexsmith from 97 was back in operation, and it was the volume of vehicles turning that affected traffic flow on 97 in the curb lane. If one thing really is needed - it's a much longer pullout for traffic turning left onto Sexsmith. Ipulled onto Benvoulin at about 4:30 - and both lanes were bumper to bumper almost to Springfield - now that was a clusterduck.
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

What gets me is the time it takes for these projects to get completed. It seems to drag on forever. Ethel street comes to mind as well as the bridge on Shannon lake road.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Mark5 wrote:What gets me is the time it takes for these projects to get completed. It seems to drag on forever. Ethel street comes to mind as well as the bridge on Shannon lake road.

The traffic circle at Longhill and Valley Rd. took from the beginning of July until September because the contractor did not work more than the bare minimum, it would have been nice to see it progress faster with more equipment.
For HWY 97, a lot of the work is done only at night
Last edited by Grandan on Oct 5th, 2017, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waste not
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Mark5 wrote:What gets me is the time it takes for these projects to get completed. It seems to drag on forever. Ethel street comes to mind as well as the bridge on Shannon lake road.

Ethel St if they are being paid by the hour then the contractor is making a killing, it's insane how long it is taking.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

This story says its ahead of schedule:

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... ad-of-plan

But wait, didn't the sign tell us it was due to open on 1st or 2nd October and suddenly this changed before the weekend and now says 12th ??? Somebody is not telling whole truths and yes i could pretty much bet my lunch money on Ethel not opening on schedule as neither of the other sections did.
ravcowan

Post by ravcowan »

I drive on acland every day. and honestly, since they changed where rutland meets old vernon is a bad accident waiting to happen. sure, it wasnt perfect before, but now its just destroyed. rutland is not even aligned with acland, resulting in dangerous confusion of who gets the right of way when turning onto old vernon. people dont stop and yield because its not perceived as a 2 way stop, its a pair of 1 way stops. one night i was driving north on rutland, straight onto acland only to find i was driving in the oncoming lane. whoever pushed the new rutland route through onto old vernon must have been on drugs because its total garbage. i watch the 8 bus suffer just to move 100 meters now, the city must be sadistic to bus drivers.
wakeup13

Post by wakeup13 »

The contractor can only work at night ad not during the day. When the traffic circle gets completed it then all should line up with Acland Road off Rutland Road. I'm curious how the transport trucks are going to manage the traffic circle.

Return to “Central Okanagan”