Kelowna youth powwow

Post by maryjane48 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... elebration

i hope some you castaneters had chance to go see this . :130:
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Kelowna youth powwow

Post by wanderer »

Yes it was great, and soooo many people there. Several schools brought their young students for awhile that was good. I enjoyed the tiny tots ... very cute. All of the dancers were good, beautiful costumes, beautiful foot work. Several tables selling bead work, arts, and of course there was food. Loved it, and everyone there seemed happy.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Glad to hear there was a good turnout, and that schools provided an opportunity for their students to attend. Would love to have been able to attend but duty called.
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

I also liked that Okanagan College, UBC, RCMP, colleges from Nicola Valley, and Kootenays and some other schools were all there really encouraging indigenous youth to consider a future with them. Showing the youth they are very valued.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

good news . yea i went to few to see what it was all about and had good time . it is interesting to see a culture way different than mine but as canadian as anyone elses is . :130: the ones i went to were in mission bc and kamloops
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

maryjane48 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/207213/Powwow-celebration

i hope some you castaneters had chance to go see this . :130:

Missed it, actually enjoy watching the activities. The costumes are also amazing.
1life2live

Post by 1life2live »

I am glad the pow wow came as a success. I had the opportunity to experience a similar display a couple weeks ago at a fundraiser. A Plains first nation did a prayer dance. It was spectacular and when it was finished their was large applause. I found myself sitting in the back of the room struggling with a moral dilemma. I have great empathy, a serious sense of respect and an awareness off the genocide perpetrated on first nations. I should have enjoyed it, but, as I gazed around the room I saw people enjoying the display as they might enjoy a whale show at sea world or an animal exhibition at a zoo. Everyone was very impressed and I was on the edge of tears with this hole in my gut as a white person watching the spectacle. Maybe I am taking these things way to seriously but I am confused on how to show respect to a culture that can never go back at the expense of our prosperity.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I find the term pow wow offending.

The ol'lady and rugrat agree..

They do put on quite the show of colour and energy though.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

Maybe start doing some research on reconciliation. It is about showing respect, about learning and believing the true history of Canada, present day and pre white man Canada. It is not about going backward it is about going forward. Reconciliation is respecting indigenous culture, heritage, the pain and joys. Say you go to the "Highland Games" do you cry that the Scots will never go back to being what they were when the games started? No, but you will sit and enjoy and respect the work that has gone into maintaining that culture. Do the same with the indigenous culture, dance, and art, respect the work that has gone into reclaiming and maintaining their culture. Reconciliation is not just for the indigenous, it is also for the white people, and people from other nations. Indigenous people welcome you into this sharing, they ask for your participation in reconciliation. Everyone should be going to more events and also participate in some of the reconciliation practices. Indigenous want their proper place in Canadian history but also they want their proper place in the present world.

http://www.trc.ca/websites/trcinstituti ... .php?p=905
1life2live

Post by 1life2live »

Thanks, that helps to put a bit of perspective on it. Orange shirt day is coming up to remember the Residential school infamy. It is symbolic to recognize a girl that had her orange shirt that her mother had given her removed upon arrival to the School.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

1life2live wrote:Maybe I am taking these things way to seriously but I am confused on how to show respect to a culture that can never go back at the expense of our prosperity.

I think youre overlooking the prosperity theyre enjoying in a modern world.
Pretty much every nation on earth suffered at the hands of others somewhere in history.
The key is for humanity to quit repeating it.
But humans haven't.
And they won't.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

This is an example of what will be coming available to teach children of what indigenous children who are now adults have gone through. https://www.bctf.ca/GladysWeNeverKnew/

Return to “Central Okanagan”