Help! Broken Hoofed Deer Feeding Baby

Green-light
Fledgling

Re: Help! Broken Hoofed Deer Feeding Baby

Post by Green-light »

14Karma, I think you're awesome.

I agree with your posting for advice.
I agree with your actions.
I agree with your reasoning and recognition.

We've had much, much too great an effect to consider the term "nature" when dealing with the outcomes of our own infringements.
Your consideration of the animal goes a long way to expressing your heart, and for that I appreciate your posts here.
Wouldn't it be great if there was a way and enough resources to administer some first aid to that wound?
At least get it cleaned up and wrapped, for as long as the wrap would be accepted or wear.
At least you'd feel there was a good chance for the wound to heal and give some hope to a recovery.
If only we had the resources.

People speaking about letting nature take it's course are not considering the facts contributing to the needless suffering of animals that have been forced into urban environments due to our reckless and relentless encroachments.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Fancy wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:kamloops widlife park takes in injured animals and its great for kids to see what its all about

The fawn isn't injured.

Have you found injured or "orphaned" wildlife and aren't too sure what to do? Here are some guidelines to help you, or call 250-573-3242 ext. 230 BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!

Animals the BC Wildlife Park DOES NOT TAKE due to space limitations:
-black bears, cougar, lynx, grizzly bear, wolves, nestling songbirds, deer fawns, moose calves, European starlings, house sparrows, rock doves (domestic pigeons), crows, black billed magpies, yellow bellied marmots, raccoons and coyotes

http://www.bcwildlife.org/injuredwildlife.htm

Whew! Glad little skunks weren't included on this list! :up:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Green-light wrote:14Karma, I think you're awesome.

I agree with your posting for advice.
I agree with your actions.
I agree with your reasoning and recognition.

We've had much, much too great an effect to consider the term "nature" when dealing with the outcomes of our own infringements.

People speaking about letting nature take it's course are not considering the facts contributing to the needless suffering of animals that have been forced into urban environments due to our reckless and relentless encroachments.

I too agree wholeheartedly with your post.

We are so cavalier in our attitudes towards our wildlife. We treat them as if they were disposable Kleenex.

As posted in another thread I would dearly love to see at least $1.00 on each bag of catfood and dogfood that is purchased to be donated to the rehabilitation of damaged wildlife. Then, perhaps, the funds would be available to help make up for our thoughtlessness and culpability in injuries caused by US.

Dream on, Catsumi, dream on......

:135:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Green-light wrote:People speaking about letting nature take it's course are not considering the facts contributing to the needless suffering of animals that have been forced into urban environments due to our reckless and relentless encroachments.

These deer are in urban environments because we have too high a predator load, especially wolves, in the surrounding hills. Cougars are also at an all-time high.

The deer are here avoiding claws and fangs.

But if I suggested an increased harvest of predators, or a predator cull, to bring their numbers back into line with the carrying capacity of the landscape, I don't think I'd find support from you.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Rwede wrote:
These deer are in urban environments because we have too high a predator load, especially wolves, in the surrounding hills. Cougars are also at an all-time high.

But if I suggested an increased harvest of predators, or a predator cull, to bring their numbers back into line with the carrying capacity of the landscape, I don't think I'd find support from you.

Bull. Spoken by someone who wants to justify hunting and trapping cougar and wolves.

The deer did not just recently start to live here because there are more predators in the hills.
The deer were here....but we keep building higher and higher into the hills that used to be theirs. Same reason people are seeing more cougar and wolves than we used to.

People really need to stop interfering. Too many deer, say all of the whiners who built on the hills.
So...your answer to the overpopulation of deer....is to kill more of the predators ?
Green-light
Fledgling

Post by Green-light »

Rwede wrote:These deer are in urban environments because we have too high a predator load, especially wolves, in the surrounding hills. Cougars are also at an all-time high.

The urban deer have been a growing population long before the predator population started to grow.
I disagree with culls for the most part.
I think man has shown time and time again that their incessant tweaking of natural environments in the name of population control is less than effective.
There are better ways and means by which to reach a goal of living a sustainable existence with nature than killing to suit your graphs and meet quotas to cause a curve.

I spend a lot of time in the wilds of the Okanagan, and I personally have not seen these huge increases in wolves or cougars. I've placed many a foot print on the sands of areas from Penticton to Cherryville via the backroads and trail networks in our surrounding hills. I've still not seen a cougar in a decade or more. I've seen one wolf, and it's unconfirmed.
I hear from people that claim to hold secret knowledge of huge spikes in populations that I just don't see.

Seems to me that as far as garnering support, you first have to have presentation. My lack of support for your post has less to do with your ideas than your presentation. Might want to work on that.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Not seeing a cougar or wolf doesn't mean they aren't there - the signs sure are.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Green-light
Fledgling

Post by Green-light »

Fancy wrote:Not seeing a cougar or wolf doesn't mean they aren't there - the signs sure are.

Tell me the signs I'm missing that you are seeing.
Of course not seeing them doesn't mean they aren't there.
If you knew how much time I spent in the bush, you'd have a better understanding of why I'd use that as a reference.
I don't see scat.
I don't see prints.
I don't see kills.
Nowhere have I seen the usual and reliable signs of an increased population of either wolves or cougars.
I am aware of what the graphs and counts coupled with ranchers reports and hunter feedback, but I'm speaking from personal experience and in my own I have not witnessed a dramatic or measurable increase to either.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I know they are out there and a family of four cougars were killed in Penticton not that long ago. There have been sightings all over the area and another one euthanized by Orchard Park Mall. I take picture of prints as much as I can when out in the bush.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Fancy wrote:I know they are out there and a family of four cougars were killed in Penticton not that long ago. There have been sightings all over the area and another one euthanized by Orchard Park Mall. I take picture of prints as much as I can when out in the bush.

The fact is - the wildlife has always been here.
Yes, there are cougars...always have been.
Yes, there are Lynx, Bobcat, coyotes and bears.
There've always been here.

The problem is not more wildlife. The problem is easy to see...just look at all of the mountain sides around you. All you see now are subdivisions.
Subdivisions where the cougars and deer used to live - out of the sight of the majority of the population.
We are encroaching on their territory at an alarming rate. WE are multiplying at record breaking rates...not them.

Please explain exactly how one can have an overpopulation of prey animals...and a supposed overpopulation of predators?
Left on her own, without human intervention, nature will balance herself out.
Cull the predators and then sit back and listen to the outcry from homeowners who complain about their cedars and roses being destroyed.
Green-light
Fledgling

Post by Green-light »

Fancy wrote:I know they are out there and a family of four cougars were killed in Penticton not that long ago. There have been sightings all over the area and another one euthanized by Orchard Park Mall. I take picture of prints as much as I can when out in the bush.

Okay. I'm reading of incidents that can easily be attributed to food scarcity (fires, difficult seasons etc.), and shouldn't be alarming given our location. Besides that, what have you found to determine a rise in population? Are you finding substantially more prints to photograph? Are your travels frequent and widespread, or is your experience based close to home?
As I've said, I cover a lot of this area by vehicle, bike or on foot.
Between Fintry and Terrace Mtn, Bear Cr. Main to Esperon one way and 97C the other. I also kick dust between Penticton and Carmii. Chrisitian Valley through to Spruce Grove and Greystokes clear to King Eddy.
I keep reading about these population increases and how they are exploding and having a detrimental impact, but I'm not buying it.
I see too many agendas being chased when it comes to information gathering.
I can see the ones that speak loudest are often those that stand to benefit monetarily by meeting an agenda based on more short sighted initiatives to control something we humans have no business trying to manipulate or control.

Best thing we could do to benefit wildlife, is control our own population.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Farmmaa wrote:Please explain exactly how one can have an overpopulation of prey animals...and a supposed overpopulation of predators?
Left on her own, without human intervention, nature will balance herself out.
Cull the predators and then sit back and listen to the outcry from homeowners who complain about their cedars and roses being destroyed.

Why do you think I need to explain anything? And I've never suggested culling. I think posters have lost track of what the topic is. This particular deer is still getting around so leave her and her fawn alone. Conservation officers have stated before if an animal is injured but still getting around and feeding, leave it be to heal on its own. If other animals can lose a foot or leg and survive, this one can.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I was reading a story about a doe that was injured and limped. She had a baby that grew up that ended up being injured and limped. The next generation actually copied their mother and grandmother with limping but they weren't injured. Thought that was interesting behaviour.
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

This deer has been around for quite awhile now. I saw it last year. Poor thing. It seems to be doing ok despite its handicap. It is rather safe in Knox Mountain park and area, other than illegal off-leash dogs which have killed deer in the park previously.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

We know it is as dry as a popcorn fart out there and now is the time deer need to fatten up before winter. Not sure how the wild berries are doing in the bears' larder, but expect that situation to be dismal too.

Could it be that watered gardens, shrubbery and grass are attractive to the deer?

WE encroach without mercy on their native soil which used to be free of subdivisions.

Mark5, what blasphemy!! Dogs mangling and killing deer? I never heard of such a thing before!

[icon_lol2.gif]

Unknown

Return to “Central Okanagan”