Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Post by Queen K »

Oh stop it you two. Bman, you get better deals outta my closet than haunting church bazaars like you used to.

I may go investigate Sears tomorrow myself, see if they have anything I don't three of already.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Fancy wrote:Think this might cover that:
False or misleading ordinary selling price representations
The false or misleading ordinary selling price provisions of the Competition Act are designed to ensure that when products are promoted at sale prices, consumers are not misled by reference to inflated regular prices.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/ ... 02776.html

Certainly strikes me as that would apply to the case in question.

The product was listed at the place for $2 less at normal price and then for liquidation it's suddenly priced two bucks higher with a discount.

If that doesn't fit the description of misleading by reference to inflated regular prices then what does?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Old Techie wrote:

The product was listed at the place for $2 less at normal price and then for liquidation it's suddenly priced two bucks higher with a discount.

If that doesn't fit the description of misleading by reference to inflated regular prices then what does?

Ah, but here's the thing ...

Sears is no longer in operation of the sales, its the liquidation companies - so they can reset the pricing index.

People see that as misleading, I see it as buyer beware.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:
Same price at Best But as well.

So Costco is selling you the product at a higher cost.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Queen K wrote:Oh stop it you two. Bman, you get better deals outta my closet than haunting church bazaars like you used to.

I may go investigate Sears tomorrow myself, see if they have anything I don't three of already.

Get that gingham thing I emailed you.
You'll get sick of it quick then I'll get it.
Oh, and I need some gloves.
Thanks. You're the best.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Gloves? Again? What are you doing with all the gloves? Lace, leather, cycling or golf ones this time?

I suppose you bought out all of those black nighties at Sears yesterday. My friend said she was tussling with someone with your description over a red one.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Dizzy1 wrote:
Old Techie wrote:

Ah, but here's the thing ...

Sears is no longer in operation of the sales, its the liquidation companies - so they can reset the pricing index.

People see that as misleading, I see it as buyer beware.

OK point taken. Still smells regardless but then again I'm not one who would be taken in by such a sham.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

Old Techie wrote:^^ The point is that's crooked conduct yet it seems you're making excuses for it.

If it was two bucks cheaper just a short time prior as the woman stated, then there's zero excuse for it to be repriced higher for a liquidation sale, unless one is attempting to orchestrate a scam, and as I stated I'm fairly certain there are laws against that.

I actually recollect a certain furrier outlet getting fined heavily for engaging in the exact same practice of jacking up all the prices before offering a discount sale that basically put the price back to where it was prior to the fictitious sale.

Old Techie, you seem to be missing the point. Sears Canada is in court-ordered liquidation. There would not even be time for a lawsuit or a government investigation to be initiated for possible monetary judgments or fines. Even if there were, an administrative monetary penalty from the Competition Bureau or a judgment from a court would rank either slightly above Sears Canada stockholders or slightly below - in short, at the bottom of the heap. Two words: blood=stone. ;)

You also missed what the lawyer quoted in the article said: it's all legal; companies do this all the time, even when not in bankruptcy. It needn't matter if the item had had a higher price tag. If it had multiple stickers and the most recent price is lower than that of the first one, it's fine. In this case, it was simply an example of the liquidators choosing to re-price everything for the liquidation sale. There's nothing in law that says a court-ordered liquidation has to price things below their prices pre-liquidation. And you can't regulate that...it's logistically impossible!

What I cannot stand is all these 20- and 30-something Instagram and Pinterest moms that feign outrage at the slightest bit of something that perturbs them so they "snap a photo" and "share it on Instagram" and hope it gets picked up by a media outlet, which it invariably will because it's sensational. Such a publicity-seeking tramp she would seem to be! (And I mean "tramp" in the figurative sense, not the literal one!) Buy it or don't buy it. Ask the staff to lower the price, fine. If they say they can't, then either choose to buy it or not. Wait for it to go back down, perhaps. Choose never to shop at that store again, if you must. Although, in this case, that decision is already being made for her. ;)

Perhaps the lesson for companies in all of this: remove old pricetags for liquidation sales during the overnight or pre-morning opening shifts. :)

Cheers,
Doug
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bsuds wrote:
Same price at Best But as well.
Dizzy1 wrote:So Costco is selling you the product at a higher cost.

Costco and Best Buys regular price is $600 cheaper than the other place's supposed regular price and the same as the "sale" price.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bsuds wrote:
Costco and Best Buys regular price is $600 cheaper than the other place's supposed regular price and the same as the "sale" price.

Yes, I get that - point was that Costco is selling you the product at a subsidized price thanks to the required membership to shop there - what others are selling it for is irrelevant.
damama55
Übergod

Post by damama55 »

From the Huff Post--
"The Brick--the chain is offering a $100 gift card to Sears Canada extended warranty holders to offset the cost of repairs.

The Brick also wants "to employ staff who will be displaced by the Sears closure." It is launching hiring fairs in markets where Sears stores have shut down, to fill 300 open positions at its stores.

That's a drop in the bucket when considering that 12,000 people stand to lose their jobs as Sears shuts down its 130 remaining stores across Canada."

This is nice to see a big chain store is trying to help and ease the situation many folks are in. At least, the Brick is trying. :130:
May we all be a blessing in the days ahead.

Post by 390625 »

Playdium is moving into one of the locations.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

That's sad....
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

390625 wrote:Playdium is moving into one of the locations.

Highly unlikely. They have a single location in Mississauga. The Sears Home store would be an unlikely fit for them as even it is larger they'd probably like, at around 50,000 vs. 40,000 sq. ft. Moreover, it's also extremely unlikely they'd choose Kelowna to branch out; more likely they'd select Vancouver, Surrey, Halifax, Ottawa or even Calgary. Seems to me like more wishful thinking on the part of this poster.

Kelowna can, sadly, barely support its Scandia and related indoor playgrounds like Just 4 Fun and others so a massive complex in high rent Orchard Park is almost laughable, sorry. :(

Cheers,
Doug
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

damama55 wrote:From the Huff Post--
"The Brick--the chain is offering a $100 gift card to Sears Canada extended warranty holders to offset the cost of repairs.

The Brick also wants "to employ staff who will be displaced by the Sears closure." It is launching hiring fairs in markets where Sears stores have shut down, to fill 300 open positions at its stores.

That's a drop in the bucket when considering that 12,000 people stand to lose their jobs as Sears shuts down its 130 remaining stores across Canada."

This is nice to see a big chain store is trying to help and ease the situation many folks are in. At least, the Brick is trying. :130:

It'd be nice if they actually opened a Leon's banner corporately-owned store in many Sears Home locations across the country to further expand Leon's out west. That way, we'd have a Leon's and The Brick. :)

Cheers,
Doug

Return to “Central Okanagan”