Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

forumdoug
Übergod

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Post by forumdoug »

Hassel99 wrote:It was Lee

Not bad then. :)

Cheers,
Doug
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

You've got to remember that the liquidators are incentivized not to discount everything 50% or more at the start as Sears takes something like 86-90% of the "take" up to what their cost of inventory is. After that, the liquidators and Sears split the profits 50/50.

Waiting till the end isn't the answer either as stuff gets picked over. The best deals, I'd expect, will be in about 4-5 weeks from now. :)

Cheers,
Doug
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

forumdoug wrote: The best deals, I'd expect, will be in about 4-5 weeks from now. :)

Cheers,
Doug

That may be, but with the stock crap already, I can't see it being any better several weeks down the road.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We thought we would have a look today but couldn't get any parking so said fudgeit and left.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

Old Techie wrote:That may be, but with the stock crap already, I can't see it being any better several weeks down the road.

I'm waiting a few weeks to see if the brand name underwear and socks have been dramatically marked down! :)

Cheers,
Doug
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

Bsuds wrote:We thought we would have a look today but couldn't get any parking so said fudgeit and left.

Take public transit...except, not on a Sunday or statutory holiday, because it totally sucks. Also, don't go in the evening any day of the week if you're travelling from West Kelowna. ;)

Cheers,
Doug
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bsuds wrote:We thought we would have a look today but couldn't get any parking so said fudgeit and left.
forumdoug wrote:Take public transit..

Your Kidding right? Just to go to Sears?

I'd rather poke myself in the eye with a stick.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Took an aimless wander through there today . Most of the stuff is only 10 -20% off so no big deal. I have to laugh at the ME FIRSTERS waiting for the doors to open so they can race in to get huge savings LOL. Reminds me of years ago watching the cat fights over the cabbage patch dolls. Idiots.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Noisy Boater wrote:Took an aimless wander through there today . Most of the stuff is only 10 -20% off so no big deal. I have to laugh at the ME FIRSTERS waiting for the doors to open so they can race in to get huge savings LOL. Reminds me of years ago watching the cat fights over the cabbage patch dolls. Idiots.

The kind of discounts they offered pretty much under normal conditions before going belly up.
Faraday

Post by Faraday »

Went yesterday and it is very deceiving. They have racks that say 50% off but in very small print says up. The lady at the cashier told me nothing is 50% off until the liquidators say so. The are no longer Sears employees but work for them now :-X
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Went in yesterday - found a few nice jeans for $20. They had some nice dress coats as well for a good price, nothing in my size though. As far as new luggage, it was highly overpriced and they had nothing decent. Oh well, saved on some jeans and had some poutine after words - no complaints :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

Faraday wrote:Went yesterday and it is very deceiving. They have racks that say 50% off but in very small print says up. The lady at the cashier told me nothing is 50% off until the liquidators say so. The are no longer Sears employees but work for them now :-X

I don't believe that's quite correct. They remain Sears Canada employees, paid out of company funds administered by the Monitor, FTI Consulting, but you're correct in that they are now managed by and report to on a direct and functional basis to the liquidation group.

Cheers,
Doug
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

If the Court has ordered that 83% of the cost of inventory must be recovered, what happens if, in trying to achieve that threshold, Sears ends up with unsold inventory at the conclusion of the liquidation sales? Will the Court lower the cost recovery threshold or will it get sold en masse to a buying group at a lower threshold?

Cheers,
Doug
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Looks like good cause to avoid Sears liquidation sale............. http://www.cbc.ca/news/sears-canada-liq ... -1.4373270

I'm fairly certain we have laws against such unscrupulous dealings.
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

Old Techie wrote:Looks like good cause to avoid Sears liquidation sale............. http://www.cbc.ca/news/sears-canada-liq ... -1.4373270

I'm fairly certain we have laws against such unscrupulous dealings.

She's surprised by that!? Ha!

The item may have been on sale prior to the liquidators taking over. You can't restrict a company's ability to change prices.

Even if you could, in this case, what recourse do we have? You could try suing. Even if you were granted standing as to the fact that you may have a potential claim, you would rank at or below that of common stockholders. Since they will end up with nothing, you'd get a big fat nothing as well.

Instead of mouthing off to the media, she should've just waited and watched for the prices to go down again. The staff can't change the prices without the liquidators' approval.

Cheers,
Doug

Return to “Central Okanagan”