48776
46615

Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Postby Queen K » Oct 29th, 2017, 8:22 pm

Oh stop it you two. Bman, you get better deals outta my closet than haunting church bazaars like you used to.

I may go investigate Sears tomorrow myself, see if they have anything I don't three of already.
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.

forumdoug likes this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 48514
Likes: 8733 posts
Liked in: 9582 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Postby Old Techie » Oct 29th, 2017, 8:29 pm

Fancy wrote:Think this might cover that:
False or misleading ordinary selling price representations
The false or misleading ordinary selling price provisions of the Competition Act are designed to ensure that when products are promoted at sale prices, consumers are not misled by reference to inflated regular prices.

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/ ... 02776.html


Certainly strikes me as that would apply to the case in question.

The product was listed at the place for $2 less at normal price and then for liquidation it's suddenly priced two bucks higher with a discount.

If that doesn't fit the description of misleading by reference to inflated regular prices then what does?
"Fools multiply when wise men are silent!" - Nelson Mandela
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2182
Likes: 1791 posts
Liked in: 2961 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Postby Dizzy1 » Oct 29th, 2017, 8:33 pm

Old Techie wrote:
Certainly strikes me as that would apply to the case in question.

The product was listed at the place for $2 less at normal price and then for liquidation it's suddenly priced two bucks higher with a discount.

If that doesn't fit the description of misleading by reference to inflated regular prices then what does?

Ah, but here's the thing ...

Sears is no longer in operation of the sales, its the liquidation companies - so they can reset the pricing index.

People see that as misleading, I see it as buyer beware.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10135
Likes: 3978 posts
Liked in: 4455 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Postby Dizzy1 » Oct 29th, 2017, 8:34 pm

Bsuds wrote:
Same price at Best But as well.

So Costco is selling you the product at a higher cost.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.

forumdoug likes this post.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10135
Likes: 3978 posts
Liked in: 4455 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Postby Bman » Oct 29th, 2017, 8:48 pm

Queen K wrote:Oh stop it you two. Bman, you get better deals outta my closet than haunting church bazaars like you used to.

I may go investigate Sears tomorrow myself, see if they have anything I don't three of already.

Get that gingham thing I emailed you.
You'll get sick of it quick then I'll get it.
Oh, and I need some gloves.
Thanks. You're the best.
Is the world getting stupider, or is it just getting easier for stupid people to have their thoughts heard?

forumdoug likes this post.
User avatar
Bman
Mindquad
 
Posts: 27278
Likes: 10441 posts
Liked in: 8128 posts
Joined: Mar 1st, 2008, 10:05 am
Location: Surrey-By-The-Lake

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Postby Queen K » Oct 29th, 2017, 8:51 pm

Gloves? Again? What are you doing with all the gloves? Lace, leather, cycling or golf ones this time?

I suppose you bought out all of those black nighties at Sears yesterday. My friend said she was tussling with someone with your description over a red one.
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.

forumdoug likes this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 48514
Likes: 8733 posts
Liked in: 9582 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Postby Old Techie » Oct 30th, 2017, 8:56 am

Dizzy1 wrote:
Old Techie wrote:
Certainly strikes me as that would apply to the case in question.

The product was listed at the place for $2 less at normal price and then for liquidation it's suddenly priced two bucks higher with a discount.

If that doesn't fit the description of misleading by reference to inflated regular prices then what does?

Ah, but here's the thing ...

Sears is no longer in operation of the sales, its the liquidation companies - so they can reset the pricing index.

People see that as misleading, I see it as buyer beware.


OK point taken. Still smells regardless but then again I'm not one who would be taken in by such a sham.
"Fools multiply when wise men are silent!" - Nelson Mandela
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2182
Likes: 1791 posts
Liked in: 2961 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Postby forumdoug » Oct 30th, 2017, 9:30 am

Old Techie wrote:^^ The point is that's crooked conduct yet it seems you're making excuses for it.

If it was two bucks cheaper just a short time prior as the woman stated, then there's zero excuse for it to be repriced higher for a liquidation sale, unless one is attempting to orchestrate a scam, and as I stated I'm fairly certain there are laws against that.

I actually recollect a certain furrier outlet getting fined heavily for engaging in the exact same practice of jacking up all the prices before offering a discount sale that basically put the price back to where it was prior to the fictitious sale.


Old Techie, you seem to be missing the point. Sears Canada is in court-ordered liquidation. There would not even be time for a lawsuit or a government investigation to be initiated for possible monetary judgments or fines. Even if there were, an administrative monetary penalty from the Competition Bureau or a judgment from a court would rank either slightly above Sears Canada stockholders or slightly below - in short, at the bottom of the heap. Two words: blood=stone. ;)

You also missed what the lawyer quoted in the article said: it's all legal; companies do this all the time, even when not in bankruptcy. It needn't matter if the item had had a higher price tag. If it had multiple stickers and the most recent price is lower than that of the first one, it's fine. In this case, it was simply an example of the liquidators choosing to re-price everything for the liquidation sale. There's nothing in law that says a court-ordered liquidation has to price things below their prices pre-liquidation. And you can't regulate that...it's logistically impossible!

What I cannot stand is all these 20- and 30-something Instagram and Pinterest moms that feign outrage at the slightest bit of something that perturbs them so they "snap a photo" and "share it on Instagram" and hope it gets picked up by a media outlet, which it invariably will because it's sensational. Such a publicity-seeking tramp she would seem to be! (And I mean "tramp" in the figurative sense, not the literal one!) Buy it or don't buy it. Ask the staff to lower the price, fine. If they say they can't, then either choose to buy it or not. Wait for it to go back down, perhaps. Choose never to shop at that store again, if you must. Although, in this case, that decision is already being made for her. ;)

Perhaps the lesson for companies in all of this: remove old pricetags for liquidation sales during the overnight or pre-morning opening shifts. :)

Cheers,
Doug

Omnitheo likes this post.
forumdoug
Übergod
 
Posts: 1202
Likes: 459 posts
Liked in: 68 posts
Joined: Sep 4th, 2006, 7:24 am

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Postby Bsuds » Oct 30th, 2017, 10:06 am

Bsuds wrote:
Same price at Best But as well.
Dizzy1 wrote:So Costco is selling you the product at a higher cost.


Costco and Best Buys regular price is $600 cheaper than the other place's supposed regular price and the same as the "sale" price.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 40920
Likes: 7084 posts
Liked in: 8915 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Postby Dizzy1 » Oct 30th, 2017, 10:52 pm

Bsuds wrote:
Costco and Best Buys regular price is $600 cheaper than the other place's supposed regular price and the same as the "sale" price.

Yes, I get that - point was that Costco is selling you the product at a subsidized price thanks to the required membership to shop there - what others are selling it for is irrelevant.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
User avatar
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10135
Likes: 3978 posts
Liked in: 4455 posts
Joined: Feb 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Postby damama55 » Nov 2nd, 2017, 10:09 pm

From the Huff Post--
"The Brick--the chain is offering a $100 gift card to Sears Canada extended warranty holders to offset the cost of repairs.

The Brick also wants "to employ staff who will be displaced by the Sears closure." It is launching hiring fairs in markets where Sears stores have shut down, to fill 300 open positions at its stores.

That's a drop in the bucket when considering that 12,000 people stand to lose their jobs as Sears shuts down its 130 remaining stores across Canada."

This is nice to see a big chain store is trying to help and ease the situation many folks are in. At least, the Brick is trying. :130:
Heartfelt sympathies to all affected by the tragedy in Las Vegas, Texas and to the families and friends. And to the officer who lost his life in Abbotsford, you were a true hero, too.

forumdoug likes this post.
User avatar
damama55
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 968
Likes: 1309 posts
Liked in: 582 posts
Joined: Feb 18th, 2011, 2:52 pm
Location: Lake Country

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Postby 390625 » Nov 5th, 2017, 6:03 pm

Playdium is moving into one of the locations.
390625
 
Posts: 13
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 4 posts
Joined: Nov 25th, 2015, 10:14 am

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Postby Fancy » Nov 5th, 2017, 6:09 pm

That's sad....
User avatar
Fancy
The Pilgrim
 
Posts: 43098
Likes: 940 posts
Liked in: 4851 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Postby forumdoug » Nov 7th, 2017, 4:49 pm

390625 wrote:Playdium is moving into one of the locations.


Highly unlikely. They have a single location in Mississauga. The Sears Home store would be an unlikely fit for them as even it is larger they'd probably like, at around 50,000 vs. 40,000 sq. ft. Moreover, it's also extremely unlikely they'd choose Kelowna to branch out; more likely they'd select Vancouver, Surrey, Halifax, Ottawa or even Calgary. Seems to me like more wishful thinking on the part of this poster.

Kelowna can, sadly, barely support its Scandia and related indoor playgrounds like Just 4 Fun and others so a massive complex in high rent Orchard Park is almost laughable, sorry. :(

Cheers,
Doug
forumdoug
Übergod
 
Posts: 1202
Likes: 459 posts
Liked in: 68 posts
Joined: Sep 4th, 2006, 7:24 am

Re: Is Sears closing both it's Kelowna Stores?

Postby forumdoug » Nov 7th, 2017, 4:50 pm

damama55 wrote:From the Huff Post--
"The Brick--the chain is offering a $100 gift card to Sears Canada extended warranty holders to offset the cost of repairs.

The Brick also wants "to employ staff who will be displaced by the Sears closure." It is launching hiring fairs in markets where Sears stores have shut down, to fill 300 open positions at its stores.

That's a drop in the bucket when considering that 12,000 people stand to lose their jobs as Sears shuts down its 130 remaining stores across Canada."

This is nice to see a big chain store is trying to help and ease the situation many folks are in. At least, the Brick is trying. :130:


It'd be nice if they actually opened a Leon's banner corporately-owned store in many Sears Home locations across the country to further expand Leon's out west. That way, we'd have a Leon's and The Brick. :)

Cheers,
Doug
forumdoug
Übergod
 
Posts: 1202
Likes: 459 posts
Liked in: 68 posts
Joined: Sep 4th, 2006, 7:24 am

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 60-YEARS-in-Ktown and 13 guests