Central Green update?

613Sparky

Central Green update?

Post by 613Sparky »

Sorry if this is a repost?

Does anyone have any set in stone information about what will be on the remaining land at central green? It almost seems like it was from a "community" with stores just to a pad of land with bunch of low rise wood frame buildings.

Thanks
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: Central Green update?

Post by LTD »

um how about trying out your google
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Good updates here on Central Green. http://www.lmgtfy.com/?iie=1&q=Central+green+Kelowna
You and 71 others Like this post
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Just a slight deviation on the subject. I noticed the other day how quickly its all coming along at Central Green yet it seems to me that Sopa Square is still a long way from being finished. It is as if they have a team of 2 working on Sopa and a team of 200 at Central Green
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Central Green seems like a decent value now especially when compared to the other development projects (Ella, One Water Street, Ellis Parc, etc) although I am not a big fan of Mission Group's manufacturing quality. It'll be interesting to see what the park actually ends up looking like. Unfortunately there aren't many 3-bedroom units being built downtown. Most go only until 2beds+1den which are a bit on the smaller side for families.
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

I have to say, Central Green seems to be a missed opportunity for this City. It should have been a poster child for mixed commercial, residential and community development yet it has become in essence the same type of development we have seen so far throughout this city.

The idea of a completely designed and integrated neighborhood had a lot of potential, however now it is starting to appear to become more and more like a neighborhood built with varying design styles, and little to no overall neighborhood feel.
It is concerning that the initial 3 towers are now being substituted bit by bit for standard 5-6 story wood constructions, leaving less and less space for the original towers in the community plan.

It is kind of a joke that the Executive House tower at its 16 stories is going to be literally towering over this new "poster child" of dense urban work and living environment...
613Sparky

Post by 613Sparky »

dominik wrote:I have to say, Central Green seems to be a missed opportunity for this City. It should have been a poster child for mixed commercial, residential and community development yet it has become in essence the same type of development we have seen so far throughout this city.

The idea of a completely designed and integrated neighborhood had a lot of potential, however now it is starting to appear to become more and more like a neighborhood built with varying design styles, and little to no overall neighborhood feel.
It is concerning that the initial 3 towers are now being substituted bit by bit for standard 5-6 story wood constructions, leaving less and less space for the original towers in the community plan.

It is kind of a joke that the Executive House tower at its 16 stories is going to be literally towering over this new "poster child" of dense urban work and living environment...

I'm totally with you on this. I bought at central green thinking it would be a nice mixed commercial/Resi. Disappointed to see what is going on now. Maybe Al Stober construction will change things. I guess the builder could careless.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Huh? There were 3 towers planned on this site originally? That would have been a much better place for increasing density, not the new Lawrence location where the Ella building is going.
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

The initial plans showed the concept to the public as they were in the article here.

https://goo.gl/kELgeS
or
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/9 ... reen-theme

What annoys me more is this: https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/1 ... tral-Green
If you read this article you can see that the city was concerned that the density would be lost, they saw structures along harvey at 20 floors/72 meters. The concerns Coun. Given had now became a reality, and that was 2 years ago. I have to say seeing this angers me. The first floors were initially discussed to be shopping/commercial, when you look at the "new masterplan" (http://www.missiongroup.ca/residential/ ... your-home/) you can see that whole idea is out the window...

This whole thing seems to have changed massively on scale, and quality and I can't help but repeat, this poster child of dense living and development basically created nice courtyards with a park behind them.... Which likely will have gates at some point due to the fear of homeless living in a wind sheltered courtyard...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Only part of this project that pi :cuss: me off a bit is no more off leash dog park.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Anyone have any news on the bargain store site? I heard they are planning for a less tall building (than Ella) but at more accessible prices that you and I can afford.

With the rate at which Ella has supposedly sold, you'd think they'd start selling prr-construction units at the bargain store sometime in next year 2018.

I believe the master plan would allow for twenty-something stories on that site. Hopefully they add a nice building with consideration to the surrounding architecture unlike Ella which looks like a massive chunky modern building nested within historical buildings.

:hailjo: :hailjo: :hailjo:
613Sparky

Post by 613Sparky »

Who knows.....There is another low rise tower going up in rutland starting at 159k, but that's for a studio....Next thing you know, downtown prices in Rutland [icon_lol2.gif]

Return to “Central Okanagan”