Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Yes
46%
So-so
27%
No
28%

Total votes: 147

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Post by Queen K »

I was contemplating "Okanagan lifestyle" today. Does it simply mean that which the well off can do or does it mean that there are so many options?

I think you'll do fine in Saskatoon, I know we all gave you hard time when you made the announcement, but I do wish you all the best. :130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Seems like the Kelowna bashing is losing steam.... :D

Come on people!

Three cheers for the "Spray Tan/Botox, BWM 2 year lease Capital of Canada!!" :130:

Stereotypes are fun! :D
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Leifer wrote:Seems like the Kelowna bashing is losing steam.... :D

Come on people!

Three cheers for the "Spray Tan/Botox, BWM 2 year lease Capital of Canada!!" :130:

Stereotypes are fun! :D

..........that in almost 100% of the ones you are referring to..........somebody ELSE paid for everything! Per capita, Kelowna has to be near the top of the heap for "gold diggers". Unfortunately for them, they hugely outnumber men here who have decent jobs that can pay to support their do-nothing lifestyles.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

Queen K wrote:I was contemplating "Okanagan lifestyle" today. Does it simply mean that which the well off can do or does it mean that there are so many options?

I think you'll do fine in Saskatoon, I know we all gave you hard time when you made the announcement, but I do wish you all the best. :130:

Ill tell you what - i can safely say that one of the positives kelowna does have is this Castanet.

Very unique group here. Im not sure if its time and place for castanet or what but for all the crap that flys around here, this is a pretty cohesive forum.

Nothing like that out here.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
richardclank
Fledgling

Post by richardclank »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 12th, 2017, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bait removed.
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 12th, 2017, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to bait
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 12th, 2017, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your bias suits you.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 12th, 2017, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Nov 12th, 2017, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 12th, 2017, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

monroe wrote:i can safely say that one of the positives kelowna does have is this Castanet.

lol IDK, it's pretty much the low-hanging fruit here. I like the fire sub-forum, and a tech thread or weather post here and there, but outside of that it's mostly a time killer without much intelligent substance. I read/post much more seriously elsewhere.

Subjective opinions may vary.
Your bias suits you.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Oh yeah............happy living in the Okanagan............and hoping it cleans itself up from the many issues.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

Unfortunately, for the first time since I moved back in 2010, I can say that I am not really happy living here.
It has nothing to do with the people, attitudes, etc....for those factors can be found anywhere.

It's just simply no longer affordable for the average person.
Rent prices have risen so much in the past few years that it is now bordering on criminal. People renting a bedroom for more than you could rent an entire house for a few years ago.
Wages are low, employers are doing nothing to allow for the increased cost of living.

I love this place. I love the valley, I love being able to hike in the mountains without driving an hour to get there.
I love the climate, the lake, the beauty.
But, increasingly, I find myself thinking that I have no choice but to move back to AB, as much as I hate it there. :cry:
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Farmmaa wrote:Unfortunately, for the first time since I moved back in 2010, I can say that I am not really happy living here.
It has nothing to do with the people, attitudes, etc....for those factors can be found anywhere.

It's just simply no longer affordable for the average person.
Rent prices have risen so much in the past few years that it is now bordering on criminal. People renting a bedroom for more than you could rent an entire house for a few years ago.
Wages are low, employers are doing nothing to allow for the increased cost of living.

I love this place. I love the valley, I love being able to hike in the mountains without driving an hour to get there.
I love the climate, the lake, the beauty.

But, increasingly, I find myself thinking that I have no choice but to move back to AB, as much as I hate it there. :cry:

This is so sad and from what I gather, is not an uncommon complaint. What to do?

Depending on your age and income for the rest of your working years, do you think you might be able to own a home in Alberta and sell it 15 or so years from now at a profit, enough to see your way back here? Those years pass very quickly and may allow you to spend your "declining" portion of your life being where you really WANT to be, which is here, in the Okanagan.

I had to do just that and am happy to say it worked out fairly well for me. This is 'Just a thought.'

Another thought I have is that Canada is to accept a million more immigrants over the next three years. Anyone have any idea where the devil they will find housing given the problems we already have now?

:135:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Yes; but done with Kelowna. We have lived here forever, and have seen much change...some good, but much more not-so-good. I can recall complaints back to the late 70s about the simple task of traffic light synchronization; still 40 years later, we have the same issue. Traffic is unbearable; particularly if you are trying to earn a living on the road.
We seem to have more than our share of life’s unfortunate stuff. Drugs, homelessness, petty crime, and arrogant entitlement have all found a strong foothold here.
From the ‘me’ generation intentionally blocking boat launch ramps at the Delta with their $200K marine penis extenders to the drivers that regularly block merging into traffic, we have had enough.
Kelowna has always, always had a ‘cliquey ‘ reputation, but never so bad as it is now.
After much soul searching, we put our house up for sale and have bought a home in Osoyoos....haven’t been there long, but so far we really love it. Rush hour traffic is 4:30 to 4:35; the people are ultra friendly, and there seems to be little to no petty crime.

Return to “Central Okanagan”