Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Yes
46%
So-so
27%
No
28%

Total votes: 147

jsytnick
Board Meister

Re: Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Post by jsytnick »

7600736 wrote:
Wow, don't we like to generalize. Sorry, but the "stinky and unkempt hippies" that you refer to were pretty much gone from the Island by the end of the 80's, which, by the sounds of things, was the last time you visited there. BTW, I lived there during most of the 70's (I'm born and partially raised in Kelowna), and pretty well all of our friends back then could have been classified as hippies, but I don't recall any of them being especially unclean or odorous.
What it boils down to is a difference of cultures - Island culture is very different from interior/Okanagan culture. Island culture is much more genteel, down to earth, egalitarian, and artsy whereas Okanagan culture has a very redneck, white trash, snotty, me me me kind of a vibe, which I find abhorrent. And, I really can't stand the way so many people here think that living in Kelowna somehow makes them better than everyone else. Just pathetic. It is a beautiful place, but there are places that are much, much nicer, with people who are also much, much nicer. Kelowna was a wonderful place to live years ago - safe, clean, uncrowded, no traffic issues - but it's been ruined by greed, crime, drugs, incompetence, and too many idiots wanting to live here. It's just a complete loony bin now, and I'm tired of living a loony bin.
And so, I have begun the process of relocating to the Island. It'll take awhile, but when the day comes for me to leave, it'll feel very nice indeed to finally close the book on this over-hyped backward town. You can have it. Enjoy.

You have to be kidding right? The irony is swooshing right over your head.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

Queen K wrote:Ya, you see you did something about how you feel, but that guy? He's still hanging on.

I'm not miserable here, I'm sick of the put downs by people who move here expecting....what? What the heck were you expecting? I'm none of those things you're describing and neither are, well, any people I've met here. Maybe you were unlucky but I know wonderful people.

I do want to experience other parts of BC, but not spitting on the Kelowna on my way out. Gezzz.

Without realizing it you too optimize what is Kelowna. A me first town with as much community spirit as a “stalag”. Lucky for me I arrived in Kelowna at a time when housing was reflective of the wages, the community had spirit and great events happened each year. But this slowly eroded over time as more and more people came and mayors like Wally World (and now his Boy Wonder) opened the doors for uncontrolled, poorly planned development that took away everything that made Kelowna great. Now the roads are clogged, the wages haven’t changed except when the minimum wage does, a useless Premier can just parachute herself into town and no one cares, more and more people come with no vested interested in Kelowna, only looking to see what they can take or have a piece of the pie without putting anything back in. Kelowna attracts self-centered narcissistic types, it’s not a place for families anymore. And in the day, that is what made it great – remember Flintstones Bedrock city – now a strip mall. Remember Central Park Golf – now a strip mall. Profits, profits, profits – Trump would fit right in. Now it’s nothing more than a shallow, plastic, fake, grossly overpriced, pathetically over-hyped, pile of crap. So, I’ll take my two cars and go where the culture is more in tune with family and a quality of life, not a quantity of existence. BC (Okanagan also) is too big, and too beautiful, to be stuck in *bleep* like Kelowna.
jsytnick
Board Meister

Post by jsytnick »

Don't let the door hit your *bleep* on the way out.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

No I hope the door hits them big time and sends them flying out.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
jsytnick
Board Meister

Post by jsytnick »

Sorry, I just can't sympathize with those that complain non stop about where they live. As if moving is suddenly going to turn these types into happy people. Anyone saying Kelowna is this or that, so what? Go 10 minutes out of town and go for a hike/bike/etc and take in the natural beauty of this valley. Or don't. But don't believe that for a second moving somewhere else is going to change your crappy attitude. It's as if these types are waiting for someone else to hand them all the tools to live a fulfilling life. Sorry bud, you're the only one accountable for your happiness on this planet.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

jsytnick wrote:Don't let the door hit your *bleep* on the way out.

And I rest my case. I am sure you will fit right in.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Mtn Biker wrote:
jsytnick wrote:Don't let the door hit your *bleep* on the way out.

Hate to burst your bubble but Kelowna wasn't much different even back in the 70's, whether they had Flintstones and Central Park Golf or not.

Change happens everywhere, and if places like Malibu, Flintstones, and Central Park Golf made enough money to justify the use of the land, they would still be here today. Business is business in the end and property values speaks volumes.

Anyone who thinks a town will stay the same is simply setting themselves up for major disappointment, regardless of where they choose to live.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
jsytnick
Board Meister

Post by jsytnick »

Mtn Biker wrote:

I do fit in, mostly because I love living here, make the most out of each day, and appreciate life in general. What I don't like are people that move here and then complain that it's not as good as(insert wherever the hell you whiners come from). Good luck on the move, I'm sure there's a list of people that will be happy to see you go.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Once the albertins moved in kelowna went down hill .now its like a reality tv show. Along the lines of the housewive shows [icon_lol2.gif]
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I don't see any of that happening here. ^^ It was the Vancouverites. :130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

maryjane48 wrote:Once the albertins moved in kelowna went down hill .now its like a reality tv show. Along the lines of the housewive shows [icon_lol2.gif]

Housewives of the Upper Mission.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Fledgling

Post by 7600736 »

Went to K.S.S. with these guys in the 80's, who went on to become quite successful. Here's the little ditty they wrote about Kelowna : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_r5zXOnKio
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Grad 82? Like me then. Grapes of Wrath have a bit of a story to them, did you know any of them personally? I did.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

It is possible to live in a place and be mostly happy yet still be able to articulate a valid critique of it. I find I have most of those sensible discussions offline. Here, less so.

Too much emotional trigger and wife beater clad people bawling "go back where you came from" or "move to xyz then" complete with flaming torch.

People move here and feel forced to validate their choice by a comprehensive defence of the place, else they look like fools. Despite the fact that they used to be able to afford a place and used to have good jobs.

Locals mostly haven't lived anywhere else, so have no perspective. Easily triggered.

The well travelled are usually pretty fair and objective. It's just another place with positives and negatives.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Great post Lightspeed.
I do get a bit weary of ppl and the mecca thing here. The entire " another day in paradise" even with flooding, smoke and fires, blah blah.
To me it is still a small town putting on Big City airs.
Every place has pros and cons. And actually yes some people do get much happier when they move someplace different.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “Central Okanagan”