Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Yes
46%
So-so
27%
No
28%

Total votes: 147

lightspeed
Guru

Re: Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Post by lightspeed »

Catsumi wrote:Another thought I have is that Canada is to accept a million more immigrants over the next three years. Anyone have any idea where the devil they will find housing given the problems we already have now?

Surrey....
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

twofingers wrote:Yes; but done with Kelowna. We have lived here forever, and have seen much change...some good, but much more not-so-good. I can recall complaints back to the late 70s about the simple task of traffic light synchronization; still 40 years later, we have the same issue. Traffic is unbearable; particularly if you are trying to earn a living on the road.
We seem to have more than our share of life’s unfortunate stuff. Drugs, homelessness, petty crime, and arrogant entitlement have all found a strong foothold here.
From the ‘me’ generation intentionally blocking boat launch ramps at the Delta with their $200K marine penis extenders to the drivers that regularly block merging into traffic, we have had enough.
Kelowna has always, always had a ‘cliquey ‘ reputation, but never so bad as it is now.
After much soul searching, we put our house up for sale and have bought a home in Osoyoos....haven’t been there long, but so far we really love it. Rush hour traffic is 4:30 to 4:35; the people are ultra friendly, and there seems to be little to no petty crime.

I SOOOO agree with you in everything you have said. I can't wait to get out of this hole.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

lightspeed wrote:
Catsumi wrote:Another thought I have is that Canada is to accept a million more immigrants over the next three years. Anyone have any idea where the devil they will find housing given the problems we already have now?

Surrey....

Right!!! (Headslap)
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

twofingers wrote:Yes; but done with Kelowna. We have lived here forever, and have seen much change...some good, but much more not-so-good. I can recall complaints back to the late 70s about the simple task of traffic light synchronization; still 40 years later, we have the same issue. Traffic is unbearable; particularly if you are trying to earn a living on the road.
We seem to have more than our share of life’s unfortunate stuff. Drugs, homelessness, petty crime, and arrogant entitlement have all found a strong foothold here.
From the ‘me’ generation intentionally blocking boat launch ramps at the Delta with their $200K marine penis extenders to the drivers that regularly block merging into traffic, we have had enough.
Kelowna has always, always had a ‘cliquey ‘ reputation, but never so bad as it is now.
After much soul searching, we put our house up for sale and have bought a home in Osoyoos....haven’t been there long, but so far we really love it. Rush hour traffic is 4:30 to 4:35; the people are ultra friendly, and there seems to be little to no petty crime.

Thats where I would move if it were an option for me at this particular point in my life.
Sure do love Rutland!!
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Catsumi wrote:Right!!! (Headslap)

OK...Upper Mission.

monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

monroe wrote:i can safely say that one of the positives kelowna does have is this Castanet.

Woodenhead wrote:[lol IDK, it's pretty much the low-hanging fruit here. I like the fire sub-forum, and a tech thread or weather post here and there, but outside of that it's mostly a time killer without much intelligent substance. I read/post much more seriously elsewhere.

Subjective opinions may vary.

lol i was waiting for somthing that. ... low hanging fruit, no doubt.

I didnt say that I come here looking to discuss aerial density and other things and interests i have. - but its a good place to exchange banter.

That said, for better or worse, there is a broad base here which makes for some interesting content.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

So, Twofingers, in the Land of Osoyoos you will have ready access to cheap dairy, chicken and gasoline. In my mind I now see you enjoying plenty of trips across the 49th in order to partake of said good deals. You can also drink reasonably priced beer to go with those chicken dinners.

My congrats!

:130:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
pepecat
Board Meister

Post by pepecat »

Osoyoos is lovely, but there is really nothing like a trip to beautiful Oroville for a cheap night of chicken and beer. It just makes life worthwhile.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

A roast chicken dinner like granma used to prepare. Makes my mouth water.

The price for chicken is simply outrageous. You'd think it was some rarity like a phoenix.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

There are many times I wish I could try living in a different area of BC just to see if I really am happy in the Okanagan. Would I miss it? Or just be glad to visit and get back out? Hard to know.

But do notice one thing, my overall mood improves between Okanagan Falls and Osoyoos and have thought to retire down there if only to exchange houses for half a year with someone who'd like to try living here.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Osoyoos was the place I originally wanted to settle when I moved to B.C.

Being that I wasn't even close to retirement.

Lack of Industry tipped the scales to Kelowna,

"I deleted the next negative diatribe"

:130:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

pepecat wrote:Osoyoos is lovely, but there is really nothing like a trip to beautiful Oroville for a cheap night of chicken and beer. It just makes life worthwhile.

The simple things in life.

seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Love it here......but have considered a move to the rock. Grew up and worked on the coast and there is nothing like the coast...on a nice clear warm day.
Might be a year or two yet. Doing the "love it or list it" thing with the house at the moment.

Do not enjoy Kelowna at all, other than visiting mum and her baking. Hwy 97 parking lot is such a detriment. So past due for a by-pass...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Wow, from Kelowna to Osoyoos, talk about culture shock. Kelowna is like ADHD on crack while Osoyoos is deadsville.

There’s nothing wrong with either end if thats what a person likes, its just that they are polar opposites.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bunnyhop wrote:Wow, from Kelowna to Osoyoos, talk about culture shock. Kelowna is like ADHD on crack while Osoyoos is deadsville.

There’s nothing wrong with either end if thats what a person likes, its just that they are polar opposites.

I look forward to my move there or somewhere similar, very soon.
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Central Okanagan”