No more portable signs

Even Steven
Guru

No more portable signs

Post by Even Steven »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... able-signs

I say it's about time. These signs are ugly as hell and make Kelowna look trashy.

Sucks for Avalon Rentals, they own the sign rental company. But I guess they can still do it on Westside.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: No more portable signs

Post by Catri »

Yeah, it's those dang portable signs that make Kelowna look trashy, not the miles of strip malls that those signs sit in front of. Hiring another bylaw officer seems like an okay idea, dedicating that officer to sign enforcement seems silly.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Once again the city proves that it’s not the bylaws - it’s their complete inability to enforce them - so let’s get rid of them. Notice in the Google Street pic the trees lining the commercial frontage? No wonder retailers have to rely on pop-up signage. This is no different than the agri-tourism RV parks issue. Rather than simply enforcing existing bylaws - they decide it’s easier to just “do away” with them. In addition, they plan to teduce the allowable height of free-standing signs considerably - making it even more difficult for retailers.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Catri wrote:Yeah, it's those dang portable signs that make Kelowna look trashy, not the miles of strip malls that those signs sit in front of.

The miles of strip malls don't help, but you can't do anything about them.

Signs though have to go, and I agree.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

its about time
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Its a good start and then maybe they can work on the big ugly signs (Pattison) on the west side blocking the beautiful views. :-X
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Even Steven wrote:
Catri wrote:Yeah, it's those dang portable signs that make Kelowna look trashy, not the miles of strip malls that those signs sit in front of.

The miles of strip malls don't help, but you can't do anything about them.

Signs though have to go, and I agree.

If all the strip malls left, where would you: get a haircut, buy food, go for lunch, get an oil change? Towns have businesses, they need to advertise, big deal.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Whyme2 wrote:Its a good start and then maybe they can work on the big ugly signs (Pattison) on the west side blocking the beautiful views. :-X

First Nations own that land, nothing you can do.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Whyme2 wrote:Its a good start and then maybe they can work on the big ugly signs (Pattison) on the west side blocking the beautiful views. :-X

If you mean billboards, it's out of their hands since it's Native land.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Sparki55 wrote:If all the strip malls left, where would you: get a haircut, buy food, go for lunch, get an oil change? Towns have businesses, they need to advertise, big deal.

There are many ways to advertise, portable signs ain't the only way to get your name out there, it's one of the ugliest though. Malls and businesses not going anywhere, don't worry.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Even Steven wrote:
Sparki55 wrote:If all the strip malls left, where would you: get a haircut, buy food, go for lunch, get an oil change? Towns have businesses, they need to advertise, big deal.

There are many ways to advertise, portable signs ain't the only way to get your name out there, it's one of the ugliest though. Malls and businesses not going anywhere, don't worry.

Of course the businesses aren't leaving, pointing out how stupid it is to think the businesses are ugly. Their signs work well, I throw out all advertisements from the mail and have an ad blocker for online but I never miss an outdoor sign. I wouldn't even know some businesses exist without signs as they are tucked away behind buildings.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Sparki55 wrote:pointing out how stupid it is to think the businesses are ugly..

I didn't say businesses are ugly, the signs are. Sigh.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Even Steven wrote:I didn't say businesses are ugly, the signs are. Sigh.

:up:
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

Even Steven wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/209065/Phasing-out-portable-signs

I say it's about time. These signs are ugly as hell and make Kelowna look trashy.

Sucks for Avalon Rentals, they own the sign rental company. But I guess they can still do it on Westside.

I agree - and they need to severely limit, or even eliminate, permanent free standing signs especially for businesses that don't have a retail-oriented component that relies on foot traffic (*cough* Kelowna Self Storage *cough* Space Centre Self Storage *cough* any other self storage facility). Hopefully they can get this done during the highway widening project before those businesses have an opportunity to apply to rebuild their signage! :(

Cheers,
Doug
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Even Steven wrote:

If you mean billboards, it's out of their hands since it's Native land.

I know it’s native land. So would it be ok to stack refrigerators 6 stories high and get away with it?

Return to “Central Okanagan”