Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Postby dle » Oct 16th, 2017, 3:42 pm

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#209234

Sounds like this fellow took the precautions needed to survive while out on his boat and is probably only alive today because he did - wore his life jacket and kept his cell in a waterproof container in his pocket. I'm betting he is thanking his lucky stars and should give himself a pat on the back while he's at it! A happy ending instead of a tragedy :up:

2 people like this post.
dle
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 936
Likes: 576 posts
Liked in: 969 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 1:29 pm

Re: Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Postby Ken7 » Oct 16th, 2017, 6:51 pm

"Police have learned that the boat operator, and sole occupant of the 29-foot Maxum cabin cruiser, was thrown from his vessel while navigating in rough waters,” said Cpl. Jesse O'Donaghey, RCMP spokesperson. “After being ejected from his boat, the unmanned vessel reportedly continued to drive at a high rate of speed before colliding head on into the shoreline.”

I bet he learned something about his 29 foot boat, even though it is big you can be troubled. I have a little smaller boat, I've been on some very rough Kelowna water. I tend to travel slower and ride the waves. Bet he won't try that again well maybe.
User avatar
Ken7
Guru
 
Posts: 6393
Likes: 3529 posts
Liked in: 2472 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Re: Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Postby WalterWhite » Oct 16th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Ken7 wrote:"Police have learned that the boat operator, and sole occupant of the 29-foot Maxum cabin cruiser, was thrown from his vessel while navigating in rough waters,” said Cpl. Jesse O'Donaghey, RCMP spokesperson. “After being ejected from his boat, the unmanned vessel reportedly continued to drive at a high rate of speed before colliding head on into the shoreline.”

I bet he learned something about his 29 foot boat, even though it is big you can be troubled. I have a little smaller boat, I've been on some very rough Kelowna water. I tend to travel slower and ride the waves. Bet he won't try that again well maybe.


Won’t try what again? In a previous topic you spoke out on those making assumptions without information. Maybe simply praise this boater as the OP did for taking proper and basic boating safety precautions and simply be thankful it ended without injury or worse, and refrain from passing judgement until more information is released.
Forget Cialis, Viagra, or Levitra. When you need to get it up fast - reach for new and improved Westcorp. Proud official suppliers of Basran's *bleep*

2 people like this post.
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1532
Likes: 1219 posts
Liked in: 1820 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 4:56 pm

Re: Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Postby Ken7 » Oct 16th, 2017, 7:54 pm

WalterWhite wrote:
Won’t try what again? In a previous topic you spoke out on those making assumptions without information. Maybe simply praise this boater as the OP did for taking proper and basic boating safety precautions and simply be thankful it ended without injury or worse, and refrain from passing judgement until more information is released.



Wally, Wally...did you read the quote which I did not make up or assume, if was part of the article.

"The unmanned vessel reportedly continued to drive at a high rate of speed before colliding head on into the shoreline.”

I don't assume I actually read it. If you are trolling, try a different place. Have a good one!
User avatar
Ken7
Guru
 
Posts: 6393
Likes: 3529 posts
Liked in: 2472 posts
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Re: Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Postby Fancy » Oct 16th, 2017, 9:36 pm

Having been in rough seas, I have never been thrown from a boat (most haven't thankfully).
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Ken7 likes this post.
User avatar
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 45285
Likes: 1119 posts
Liked in: 5852 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Postby LTD » Oct 16th, 2017, 9:58 pm

Perhaps if he had his lanyard on his wrist he would still have his boat to
LTD
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3339
Likes: 2264 posts
Liked in: 2533 posts
Joined: Mar 31st, 2010, 3:34 pm

Re: Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Postby WalterWhite » Oct 16th, 2017, 11:07 pm

Ken7 wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:
Won’t try what again? In a previous topic you spoke out on those making assumptions without information. Maybe simply praise this boater as the OP did for taking proper and basic boating safety precautions and simply be thankful it ended without injury or worse, and refrain from passing judgement until more information is released.



Wally, Wally...did you read the quote which I did not make up or assume, if was part of the article.

"The unmanned vessel reportedly continued to drive at a high rate of speed before colliding head on into the shoreline.”

I don't assume I actually read it. If you are trolling, try a different place. Have a good one!


So you aren’t going to answer the question? Won’t do what again?
ETA: why is asking clarification of your statement “trolling” in your eyes? Yes, I read the quote. I also looked at the photo accompanying the story. I don’t see whitecaps. I see waves. Waves that would be no issue for a vessel of that size - even being operated at speed. I did not however, read anywhere that authorities stated the vessel was being operated in an unsafe manner, or that charges of any sort were being considered.
Forget Cialis, Viagra, or Levitra. When you need to get it up fast - reach for new and improved Westcorp. Proud official suppliers of Basran's *bleep*
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1532
Likes: 1219 posts
Liked in: 1820 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 4:56 pm

Re: Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Postby WalterWhite » Oct 16th, 2017, 11:28 pm

LTD wrote:Perhaps if he had his lanyard on his wrist he would still have his boat to


It wasn’t a jet ski or sea-doo. Vessels of that size do not have nor require a lanyard and “kill switch”.
Forget Cialis, Viagra, or Levitra. When you need to get it up fast - reach for new and improved Westcorp. Proud official suppliers of Basran's *bleep*
WalterWhite
Übergod
 
Posts: 1532
Likes: 1219 posts
Liked in: 1820 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2017, 4:56 pm

Re: Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Postby vegas1500 » Oct 16th, 2017, 11:40 pm

WalterWhite wrote:
LTD wrote:Perhaps if he had his lanyard on his wrist he would still have his boat to


It wasn’t a jet ski or sea-doo. Vessels of that size do not have nor require a lanyard and “kill switch”.


What's the cutoff? Every boat I have owned had a "lanyard". Although 24' is the largest I had. That being said, I never used them.
User avatar
vegas1500
Übergod
 
Posts: 1106
Likes: 3299 posts
Liked in: 1426 posts
Joined: Aug 4th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Re: Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Postby LTD » Oct 17th, 2017, 7:02 am

mines a 28 with twin engines and it has one I don't use it either, personally I think youre a complete idiot if you get thrown out of a 29 foot boat on the lake

3 people like this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3339
Likes: 2264 posts
Liked in: 2533 posts
Joined: Mar 31st, 2010, 3:34 pm

Re: Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Postby Fancy » Oct 17th, 2017, 7:09 am

WalterWhite wrote: Maybe simply praise this boater as the OP did for taking proper and basic boating safety precautions ...

How is it basic boating safety when one gets thrown from a 29-foot Maxum cabin cruiser? Travelling at a high rate of speed in rough water doesn't seem safe to me when getting thrown is a result.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 45285
Likes: 1119 posts
Liked in: 5852 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Postby Poindexter » Oct 17th, 2017, 7:25 am

You would think the owner would know how to set the trim and back off the throttle to keep the bow up in rougher water. If they didn't however, nosing the boat into a wave when your going a fair speed will launch you if you're not ready.

If the driver did set the trim to raise the nose but kept the throttle pinned, he could also porpoise the boat and land sideways into a wave and launch himself that way.

So easy enough to get thrown from a boat in rough water if you're either inexperienced or not paying attention.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Poindexter
Guru
 
Posts: 5482
Likes: 3431 posts
Liked in: 3976 posts
Joined: May 26th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Postby dle » Oct 17th, 2017, 8:17 am

We haven't been given any info on the W questions so I'm not going to speculate on what he was or wasn't doing right - for all we know he could have been hit by a rogue wave or slipped trying to adjust something and went overboard - I'm just saying he had the presence of mind to give himself the best chance of staying alive by putting on his life jacket and protecting his line of communication while out there.

WalterWhite likes this post.
dle
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 936
Likes: 576 posts
Liked in: 969 posts
Joined: Nov 14th, 2005, 1:29 pm

Re: Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Postby Fancy » Oct 17th, 2017, 8:48 am

I just don't think he deserves a pat on the back for doing what is suppose to be done in the first place. Life jackets are meant to be worn. Glad he's alive to tell the tale.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 45285
Likes: 1119 posts
Liked in: 5852 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Boat accident on Okanagan Lake...

Postby mullyman » Oct 17th, 2017, 10:47 am

good work with the lifejacket....now... about that kill switch tether....
mullyman
 
Posts: 64
Likes: 12 posts
Liked in: 25 posts
Joined: Oct 28th, 2007, 5:20 pm

Next

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 3 guests