Castanet radio

deedub
Fledgling

Re: Castanet radio

Post by deedub »

Hopefully the will have a playlist of more than 100 songs , unlike other stations .
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

No, it is a different new station at 103.1. Play 80's and '90's. Listened for a couple of hours, so far no news/ads/unnecessary chit-chat but who knows how long that will last.

Castanet starts Nov 1, 103.9. Play '60, '70, '80's.[/quote]

I thought 103.9 was also suppose to be the oldies but as I was listening to it yesterday, they advertised they were music of the 80's and 90's. Is that considered oldies?? Sure makes me feel old. I always considered the 60's to be oldies. Bit have not heard anything from the 60's on there yet, just what I would classify rock. Mostly the 80's. I am disappointed.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Binky ... you can't fool us. You really did inhale all those times in the 60's I knew it [icon_lol2.gif]
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

I was a small child in the 60's. But I do admit to liking the music from the 60's. When I saw an "oldie" station coming, I just assumed. I guess to the younger generation, the 80's and 90's ARE the oldies. Just shows my age. (:
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

binky11 wrote:I thought 103.9 was also suppose to be the oldies but as I was listening to it yesterday, they advertised they were music of the 80's and 90's. Is that considered oldies?? Sure makes me feel old. I always considered the 60's to be oldies. Bit have not heard anything from the 60's on there yet, just what I would classify rock. Mostly the 80's. I am disappointed.

Okanagan Oldies 103.9, which will play songs from the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s, doesn’t start until 11am on November 1st.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

I had on 103.9 FM since Wednesday. I saw a bunch of people on Harvey ave holding up signs advertising to tune in to 103.9, so I did. I also had heard it was launching Nov 1. Today on 103.9 they were talking about their new station. I am confused now.
JayPeeWhy
Board Meister

Post by JayPeeWhy »

WalterWhite wrote:I have yet to meet anyone that happily listened to the barage on ones auditory senses listening to Tony Peyton peddle the wares for Aaaaaandre's Electronics. Sure it's catchy - it's also a shining example of what drives many away from mainstream radio, and I haven't tuned in for years.

I know ... catchy. Like STD's.

Traditional radio, if not actually dead, is sucking it's last breathe. Ad-driven media sucked the life out of TV, radio and print publications so badly that the mediums became unbearable and untrusted. At least with a newspaper you can simply not look, with online you can ad block using something like uBlock for Chrome https://goo.gl/39apsw. Unfortunately, with radio or TV you are simply forced to endure mind-numbingly uncreative drivel that passes for an ad. "Some cows eat grass, which is why you need a BMW!" This is seriously the kind of level things have sunk to. A while ago there was a billboard just over the bridge for $1M+ homes that stated "Masterpieces, they are numbered for a reason!" NO! Masterpieces are masterpieces. They are not numbered as there is only one of them. They are a: Master. Piece. People actually get paid for coming up with this S&%$!

Thankfully the ads got so bad that they inspired Netflix and music streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music. Which is something we should thank them for.

Think about it. Why do you pay for an electronic device to sit in your home or office so you could listen to the same advertising play over and over all day

Apple Music. Spotify. Check them out.
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

binky11 wrote:I thought 103.9 was also suppose to be the oldies but as I was listening to it yesterday, they advertised they were music of the 80's and 90's. Is that considered oldies?? Sure makes me feel old. I always considered the 60's to be oldies. Bit have not heard anything from the 60's on there yet, just what I would classify rock. Mostly the 80's. I am disappointed.

*bleep*, pardon my frustration, but can you please properly quote prior posts? The initial quote in square brackets is not to be removed. :(

Also, 103.9 isn't an Oldies station. I like the '60s, too, but's probably more of a Classic Hits station, which is like a mix of classic rock with classic pop, and they've chosen to focus on the '80s & '90s. I'd prefer they include the '70s, personally, but that's just me.

Also, as we age and get further and further away from the '60s, eventually the '90s will be considered "oldies". Look for that in about 10-15 years from now. As a result, you'll see, sadly, probably no terrestrial radio stations play '50s and '60s music. :)

Cheers,
Doug
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

binky11 wrote:I was a small child in the 60's. But I do admit to liking the music from the 60's. When I saw an "oldie" station coming, I just assumed. I guess to the younger generation, the 80's and 90's ARE the oldies. Just shows my age. (:

Looks like you answered your own question! Congrats! :yahoo: :skippingsheep: :birthday2:

Cheers,
Doug
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

103.9 IS indeed advertised as an oldies station. At the top of this page it is advertised as okanagan oldies 103.9.
If 103.9 doesn't start until nov 1 at 11:00 am, what has playing on 103.9 since at least Wednesday? I wasn't going to bother to tune in until then, but when I saw a group of people standing on the highway near Water Street on Wednesday holding up signs to tune in, I did so.
Please forgive me for my quote mishap.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

binky11 wrote:I had on 103.9 FM since Wednesday. I saw a bunch of people on Harvey ave holding up signs advertising to tune in to 103.9, so I did. I also had heard it was launching Nov 1. Today on 103.9 they were talking about their new station. I am confused now.

Probably advertising 103.1.
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

binky11 wrote:103.9 IS indeed advertised as an oldies station. At the top of this page it is advertised as okanagan oldies 103.9.
If 103.9 doesn't start until nov 1 at 11:00 am, what has playing on 103.9 since at least Wednesday? I wasn't going to bother to tune in until then, but when I saw a group of people standing on the highway near Water Street on Wednesday holding up signs to tune in, I did so.

I thought you were referring to 103.1? Fair enough. Oldies 103.9 should be playing at least 60s-80s for the next 10 years and then shift to the 70s-90s if they're still that format or if they even still exist (which is unlikely). :)

103.1 is not "oldies," per se, though, more of a classic hits - that's what I meant. The rest of my comments stand.

Kelowna radio generally sucks but, even with the format switch, 103.1 is still my favourite station. They'll take share away from 103.9, I predict, as they have better radio talent. They're essentially the new 103.9 Juice FM but with better on-air talent. Music selection is quite decent.

Cheers,
Doug
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

So what station is playing now on 103.9? I don't even have a radio in the house, but have been listening to it in the car since Wednesday.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Troy wrote:Okanagan Oldies 103.9, which will play songs from the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s, doesn’t start until 11am on November 1st.

103.9 at present is still the Juice radio station until November 1, 11:00 a.m.
Troy
Site Technical Administrator

Post by Troy »

binky11 wrote:103.9 IS indeed advertised as an oldies station. At the top of this page it is advertised as okanagan oldies 103.9.

The Okanagan Oldies 103.9 at the top this page says "Coming Soon" beside it. It will start at 11am on November 1st. Until that time, 103.9 is still Juice FM.

Return to “Central Okanagan”