90%
Undecided
3%

Total votes: 40

gsc
Board Meister

Yard waste fees at dump

Post by gsc »

Should we have to pay yard waste fees at the dump to get rid of city yard waste?

I for one have a yard waste bin that I already use and fill with my own waste all the time. This means all the extra leaves off of the large city tree that dumps in my yard I'll have to pay to dump. Not to mention the neighbors city trees as well that fall in my yard.

Should we really have to pay to get rid of there waste? I get that they are doing big changes and fees are going up. I have no problem paying the new fees but yard waste should be free still.
Last edited by gsc on Oct 18th, 2017, 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kelbear25
Fledgling

Re: Yard waist fees at dump

Post by kelbear25 »

I assume you mean "waste" not "waist";)
Community gardens will gladly take your leaves for the organic gardens.

But yes I agree that fees shouldn't increase for yard waste. I worry that will result in more illegal dumping.

And to increase fees for yard waste is In some ways punishing home owners for having trees. And certainly more of an issue if they are city trees. We shouldn't be hating on trees because they shed leaves and cause us to pay dump fees. Should be encouraging trees, so I fear this policy is short sighted.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: Yard waste fees at dump

Post by lesliepaul »

Leaf blower onto the street............DONE!
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

gsc wrote:Should we half to pay yard waste fees at the dump to get rid of city yard waste?

NO! We should not have(or half) to pay for extra yard waste that we take to the landfill from our yards or boulevards.

I have now collected 21 Huge oversize bags of leaves from the 3 trees on the boulevard, they are Parks department trees.
I personally think that we should get paid to cleanup the leaves from these trees, as well as fuel/oil for leaf blowers and fuel and mileage charge to take everything to the dump.

I suggested that the dump open a second line strictly for yard waste in the fall so that residents need not wait in line to say "yard waste", or get hassled about how many pounds of City owned leaves I am dropping off. In return, I was told that they won't open a second line, and now I find out that we are now having to pay to dump off Parks department leaves in 2018.

The solution is simple, I am calling the Parks department and telling them to remove the 3 trees from the boulevard because I spend far too many hours cleaning up after them, and then get a new surprise of having to pay instead of getting paid to work!

Something is wrong with the program, far too many overpaid City planners and Engineers.
Pay to drop off yard waste...You have got to be kidding!

I have 34 hours so far this year cleaning up after the City Parks department trees, and I want a paycheck of $1500 annually for looking after the mess they make.

I think, a letter and meeting with City council is in order in regards to this issue.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

UltraViolet wrote:
gsc wrote:Should we half to pay yard waste fees at the dump to get rid of city yard waste?

NO! We should not have(or half) to pay for extra yard waste that we take to the landfill from our yards or boulevards.

I have now collected 21 Huge oversize bags of leaves from the 3 trees on the boulevard, they are Parks department trees.
I personally think that we should get paid to cleanup the leaves from these trees, as well as fuel/oil for leaf blowers and fuel and mileage charge to take everything to the dump.

I suggested that the dump open a second line strictly for yard waste in the fall so that residents need not wait in line to say "yard waste", or get hassled about how many pounds of City owned leaves I am dropping off. In return, I was told that they won't open a second line, and now I find out that we are now having to pay to dump off Parks department leaves in 2018.

The solution is simple, I am calling the Parks department and telling them to remove the 3 trees from the boulevard because I spend far too many hours cleaning up after them, and then get a new surprise of having to pay instead of getting paid to work!

Something is wrong with the program, far too many overpaid City planners and Engineers.
Pay to drop off yard waste...You have got to be kidding!

I have 34 hours so far this year cleaning up after the City Parks department trees, and I want a paycheck of $1500 annually for looking after the mess they make.

I think, a letter and meeting with City council is in order in regards to this issue.

I have already tried to have them remove them and they will. The bill for one tree is outrageous. They expect you to pay for the cost of the tree and what it is worth right now along with the cost of there crew to come do it.

I was lucky enough to have a nice gentleman come and listen to my frustrations. He explained a few different options to me.

I explained that I work for a company part time in this trade and was able to carefully remove it my self at my own cost. His concern was how much liability the company has and we have more than enough then the needed liability.

I explained how i would take it down and the safety equipment we would use. I am now waiting to get an ok to cut the city tree down my self.

Time Will tell on what happens and what I get the ok to do.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

If anything I wish the city would plant more trees around my house.

Trees are beautiful and I for one am thankful for the shade they provide especially in the hot summer months and the birds they attract.

I usually just run my mower over the leaves and leave it behind as nutrients for my lawn.

You all sound like the old farts that live in those 55+ age-restricted communities with the no maintenance yards. :)
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I don't know how you'd be able prove that it was city leaves. There's always going to be that one guy who dumps his personal yard waste & says it's the cities to dump for free.

Personally I like having trees. Concrete is ugly. Grow a garden & toss the leaves in, they're good for the soil.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

shouldn't have to pay at all, this only encourages the idiots to drive out to the bush and dump their crap on my property or someone elses or in the bush somewhere not to mention the city benefits from the yard waste that used to be free to get rid of. Guess I will be doing a lot more burning :up:
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

When did this charge get implemented?
It wasn't in place last year.

If I have to pay, I'm just gonna dump my pine prunings on Queenie's yard with an exclamation that it's good for her soil.
Maybe she'll finally sell me that Fenton compote.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If anyone has bagged non-dog poop grass/leaves, please donate it to the QueenK Garden Foundation. PM me!

And no, we're paying a fee on the dump just be paying taxes, and using our own gas money to get stuff there. Not that I do, I compost as much as possible, even my sunflower stalks get used as a foundation for the compost within reason.

I think they should extend yard waste pick up in the Fall to at least one more week for people.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

lesliepaul wrote:Leaf blower onto the street............DONE!

I hope that is a joke. If we all do that, it ends up being a cost to the City, and a hike in your taxes and mine.

Sadly, a increase or a fee as it is free at this time will only cause people to drive it into the bush. We don't need that either as it adds to the fuel for fire.

Do hope the City reconsiders putting more of a tax burden on the residents of this City.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

West Kelowna Transfer Station Dump fees for yard waste are:

Garbage bag: $1/each
Utility trailer or small load (4' X 8' maximum): $5/load
Larger hauling vehicle or trailer: $15/load
Vehicle with a tandem axle trailer: $20/load

Like QueenK said, it adds up when you factor in gas, time, etc. and having to make numerous trips if you aren't composting most of the waste.

Lucky me - no fees as I get weekly pickup from mid-March to end-November with no limit on how much can be placed at the curb on a weekly basis.
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

gsc wrote:Should we have to pay yard waste fees at the dump to get rid of city yard waste?

I for one have a yard waste bin that I already use and fill with my own waste all the time. This means all the extra leaves off of the large city tree that dumps in my yard I'll have to pay to dump. Not to mention the neighbors city trees as well that fall in my yard.

Should we really have to pay to get rid of there waste? I get that they are doing big changes and fees are going up. I have no problem paying the new fees but yard waste should be free still.

Off the landfills site dumping yard waste to 250 kg is free.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

I was really happy with paying $10 for a load of garbage that weighed under 250kgs.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

Bman wrote:
gsc wrote:Should we have to pay yard waste fees at the dump to get rid of city yard waste?
Off the landfills site dumping yard waste to 250 kg is free.

It is free this year, for less than 250 kg.
Next year it will cost $5

I have 21 oversize bags of wet leaves from the boulevard trees, they have to be 30kg+ each, it will be interesting to see if the leaves get dumped at the dump free of charge, or they try hassle me to pay for picking up wet "City leaves".

Return to “Central Okanagan”