90%
Undecided
3%

Total votes: 40

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Yard waste fees at dump

Post by Bsuds »

I just bag the leaves from my Maple tree till the spring when "free" pick up resumes and fill my container for pick up till they are all gone.

I have nothing else in the spring to put in them so it works just fine and you can get a larger waste container if you have more stuff so it goes quicker.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

1st world problems are the worst!!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

My feeling regarding the dump is that they have gotten way too greedy, not to mention way too picky about what they will and won't accept, an unfortunate byproduct of which is illegal dumping.

Instead of being part of the solution they've become the biggest contributor to the problem.

It's a dump for goodness sake, and as such they should take anything brought in, sort it, make money where they can and bury the rest. Instead it seems it's gotten to where they want to pick and choose and prefer only things that they can turn around and sell.

It strikes me as if they're but moments from demanding our garbage be gift wrapped, and ready to flip for a profit.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

Frisk wrote:I don't know how you'd be able prove that it was city leaves. There's always going to be that one guy who dumps his personal yard waste & says it's the cities to dump for free.

Personally I like having trees. Concrete is ugly. Grow a garden & toss the leaves in, they're good for the soil.

The only trees around me are all city trees so for me it's pretty easy.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

They have to pay for those cushy new contemporary styled offices they constructed for dump staff somehow I guess. Not that I think Britco trailers were a permanent option, but come on - it's a landfill for Pete's sake. Charging for yard waste is ridiculous imo, especially when every bit of it is used to make Ogogrow, which is sold right back to the same taxpayers. Bad enough that the fee exists currently on 250kg or more, but a $5 flat rate for any and all is simply greed. Back off CoK, and take a look at your own operating costs for ways to reduce costs and increase revenues.
643dpb

Post by 643dpb »

This is ridiculous. I'll be more inclined to blow my leaves onto the street instead.

They should supply us with larger green bins or increase the pickup frequency to weekly during the year, especially Fall.

Horse *bleep*
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

643dpb wrote:This is ridiculous. I'll be more inclined to blow my leaves onto the street instead.

They should supply us with larger green bins or increase the pickup frequency to weekly during the year, especially Fall.

Horse *bleep*

I couldn't agree more. I am willing to bet that a lot more people will just go dump all there yard waste in the bush now.

If that happens we will have a real forest fire problem with lots of fuel.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

643dpb wrote:This is ridiculous. I'll be more inclined to blow my leaves onto the street instead.

Horse *bleep*

Don't get caught as I imagine similar bylaws are in place in the Okanagan as well.

The City has a law against leaving leaves and yard trimmings in the street and depending on the severity, the fine can be up to $2,000.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/blowing-your-leave ... -1.2668246

I agree weekly pickup and free of charge should be the norm at this time of year.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

gsc wrote:

Horse *bleep*

I couldn't agree more. I am willing to bet that a lot more people will just go dump all there yard waste in the bush now.

If that happens we will have a real forest fire problem with lots of fuel.

I have this problem every fall and every spring people think its not littering because its just yard waste I then offer to bring 5 or 6 acres worth of my yard waste to their house to dump they never look very happy picking up their yard waste and reloading it
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

So I loaded 21 bags of "City leaves" in the back of the kids truck, drove to the dump at 9 a.m.
Low and behold, no lineup...
Guy looks in the back, says "just a bunch of leaves", I said yes.
He says go ahead.
I ask about next years rate for leaves, he says "I think they are going with a $5 fee for yard waste"
I asked about the weight limit for the $5, he replied, he thinks, "the same as now - 250 kg and under"

I said, just for fun, weigh me in and out to see how many kgs of wet leaves I had, "he said sure"
On my way out, I checked the weight, I had 455kg of leaves.
I told him next year I'm going to have to dry them first or have to pay extra.
He says don't worry, he thinks they are going to let leaves go through at no charge!
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

UltraViolet wrote:So I loaded 21 bags of "City leaves" in the back of the kids truck, drove to the dump at 9 a.m.
Low and behold, no lineup...
Guy looks in the back, says "just a bunch of leaves", I said yes.
He says go ahead.
I ask about next years rate for leaves, he says "I think they are going with a $5 fee for yard waste"
I asked about the weight limit for the $5, he replied, he thinks, "the same as now - 250 kg and under"

I said, just for fun, weigh me in and out to see how many kgs of wet leaves I had, "he said sure"
On my way out, I checked the weight, I had 455kg of leaves.
I told him next year I'm going to have to dry them first or have to pay extra.
He says don't worry, he thinks they are going to let leaves go through at no charge!

Time will tell. I sure hope they do or they will have a lot of very angry people on there hands.

455kg is a lot of leaves and a lot of work and time to pick up.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

gsc wrote:455kg is a lot of leaves and a lot of work and time to pick up.

Well usually the twenty some bags only weigh 200kgs or so, but with all the rain, the leaves on the road against the curb were soaked.
Another few hours to do the final thorough cleanup and It'll be good until next year.
I will be contacting the City to find out what their plans are for leaves that we will pickup next fall, and if it's true goods that they won't be charging for leaves, but all other "yard waste"

They surely will have to cut us a break for all the work it takes to cleanup, let alone haul them to the dump!
I really envy people who can fit all of their leaves into the yard waste bin.
I fit 2 big bags of leaves into the yard waste bin, and it's full, even after stomping.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

UltraViolet wrote:
gsc wrote:455kg is a lot of leaves and a lot of work and time to pick up.

Well usually the twenty some bags only weigh 200kgs or so, but with all the rain, the leaves on the road against the curb were soaked.
Another few hours to do the final thorough cleanup and It'll be good until next year.
I will be contacting the City to find out what their plans are for leaves that we will pickup next fall, and if it's true goods that they won't be charging for leaves, but all other "yard waste"

They surely will have to cut us a break for all the work it takes to cleanup, let alone haul them to the dump!
I really envy people who can fit all of their leaves into the yard waste bin.
I fit 2 big bags of leaves into the yard waste bin, and it's full, even after stomping.

Wet soggy leaves are a pain to try and pick up. I am hoping next year I won't have many leaves to pick up ;).

Part of the problem is the street I'm on the trees are all so close together. So not only do you get leaves from the trees in front of your home but many neighbors trees as well. I find myself doing our yard and neighbors as well just so they stop coming into our yard.

Keep us in the loop on what the city has to say about this all.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Relentless »

https://www.*bleep*.com/watercooler/ ... _Landfill/

Well, it's official.
The City of Kelowna decided the bush isn't messy enough!
There's going to be an awful lot more Illegal dumping because of this rate increase, hope they are happy with themselves when they see whats going to happen!

Return to “Central Okanagan”