Kettle Valley Rail Trail WIFI

pentona
Übergod

Re: Kettle Valley Rail Trail WIFI

Post by pentona »

Dizzy1 wrote:I could really care less if there WiFi on the trail or not - if its there then cool, if not, just as cool .... but .... just going to bring up one little thing that could very well have been a factor in deciding to fund Wifi - tourism. As pointed out in the article, tourism drove the decision. Tourism includes lots of people who don't live here, people from other countries - that means roaming when using cellular data - and that can get pricey real, real fast - so adding WifI can be an added bonus when people are browsing the web or brochures on looking what to do here.

I know, I get the irony - being outdoors and hooked up to the net - but fact is we live in different times, and I know its cool to be all like Clint Eastwood and tell the young ones to get off our lawns or point out how silly they are because they're addicted to their phones, but times have changed - best we simply accept that and deal with it :up:

Your opinion (doesn't appear to be what most people think, however). Tourists from other countries often enjoy the outdoors with OUT the use of electronics and want to get away from that kind of stuff. Anyone can read a good map/sign; and its mainly to explain where people are, on the trail and where the next stop is. Not like you are going to get lost when you reach a fork in the trail. Money spent on building shelters/rest stops/outhouses along the way would be a better choice.

I would much rather see them spend money on restoring full access to places like the Adra Tunnel (the big, curved one above Naramata). That task was started but never finished. If you want to go high tech, then put in some LED lighting to light it up as well. One good wind generator could easily do the job. The Minister who surveyed the area did so by helicopter; she has no clue what riding on the trail is really like; even admitted that it was the first time she had ever seen it.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:Okay, next will be Provincial tax dollars to pay for golf carts/atv's. Wouldn't want anyone to break a sweat on any trails in BC, heaven forbid.

Tourism brings in dollars - probably more dollars then you and I spend here. If you like it or not, availability of WiFi is something many look for - no matter how strange it may sound to you or me.

Personally, I find the whole Rail Trail thing a waste of money - but if it brings in tourists, which equals money, then its tax dollars well spent.

It can help to bring in more tourist dollars (if you agree with the premise or not, it doesn't matter) - but in order to bring those tourist dollars in, you have to spend money to try and get those tourist dollars - thats why they call it an investment.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Got it, bend over for tourists
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

pentona wrote:
Your opinion (doesn't appear to be what most people think, however). Tourists from other countries often enjoy the outdoors with OUT the use of electronics and want to get away from that kind of stuff. Anyone can read a good map/sign; and its mainly to explain where people are, on the trail and where the next stop is. Not like you are going to get lost when you reach a fork in the trail. Money spent on building shelters/rest stops/outhouses along the way would be a better choice.

I would much rather see them spend money on restoring full access to places like the Adra Tunnel (the big, curved one above Naramata). That task was started but never finished. If you want to go high tech, then put in some LED lighting to light it up as well. One good wind generator could easily do the job. The Minister who surveyed the area did so by helicopter; she has no clue what riding on the trail is really like; even admitted that it was the first time she had ever seen it.

Yes, it is my opinion - just like everyone else's post is their opinion and nothing more. I'm not disagreeing with anyone nor am I agreeing with anyone - just expressing my thoughts on the decision given my experiences abroad.

Yes, there are some tourists from other countries that want to shut off when they're outdoors, just like some people here would like to do that. However, one thing about tourists from other countries - some of these countries don't share the same hate of technology that some here do, they've adapted and accepted it long ago - sorry, but thats just the way it is.

As for what most people think, well, thats limited to these boards - and I'm probably the only one who shares that point of view - and thats cool. Just pointing out a what may have been a large factor in the decision.
Last edited by Dizzy1 on Oct 21st, 2017, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:Got it, bend over for tourists

Thats exactly right Gordon - when you live somewhere that has a very large tourism industry - thats what you do, thats what helps keep our economy afloat :up:
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

GordonH wrote:Okay, next will be Provincial tax dollars to pay for golf carts/atv's. Wouldn't want anyone to break a sweat on any trails in BC, heaven forbid.

I've always thought golf carts should be bought by the organization / group who wants to keep this up and running. My though is, Monday - Wednesday you arrange to have Kelowna seniors given a ride, stop in a area where there is a view of Kelowna and have lunch and a glass of wine and then bring them back on the shuttle bus.

Just think how many who have no where to spend or leave their money might think that's a good place to put a large donation.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Ken7 wrote:I've always thought golf carts should be bought by the organization / group who wants to keep this up and running. My though is, Monday - Wednesday you arrange to have Kelowna seniors given a ride, stop in a area where there is a view of Kelowna and have lunch and a glass of wine and then bring them back on the shuttle bus.

Just think how many who have no where to spend or leave their money might think that's a good place to put a large donation.

Go for it, chances are very good you'll get monies needed from either the Fed's or Province or both.
Why bother trying sink or swim on your own dime, when governments freely hand out taxpayer money.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Long before WIFI is justifiable up there, the Government should groom the rail trail surface. Flying over it in a helicopter and seeing it for the first time would give her (the Minister responsible) no idea of what the trail actually is like. From Penticton North to the Little tunnel it has been redone and nicely graded but past that its in need of serious grooming (please...before spending money on electromagnetic gadgetry).

Signage could be improved as well. That $500,000 could be put to much better use up there; just ask anyone who has ridden its entire length (and I have, many times over). :smt045
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Map apps; living in different times - whatever - there's already cell coverage in the area. $500K for free wifi is a waste of tax dollars - period.
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

Not to mention that half a million bucks seems way over the top with today's technology.
bcwoods

Post by bcwoods »

Dizzy1 wrote:I could really care less if there WiFi on the trail or not - if its there then cool, if not, just as cool .... but .... just going to bring up one little thing that could very well have been a factor in deciding to fund Wifi - tourism. As pointed out in the article, tourism drove the decision. Tourism includes lots of people who don't live here, people from other countries - that means roaming when using cellular data - and that can get pricey real, real fast - so adding WifI can be an added bonus when people are browsing the web or brochures on looking what to do here.

I know, I get the irony - being outdoors and hooked up to the net - but fact is we live in different times, and I know its cool to be all like Clint Eastwood and tell the young ones to get off our lawns or point out how silly they are because they're addicted to their phones, but times have changed - best we simply accept that and deal with it :up:

You don't need WiFi to take photos or enjoy the outdoors. Tourists are welcome to collect as many memories and photos as the need then when the get back to town or where ever they are staying and then they can post. That is called free advertising thru social media. Now a days the attitude is every thing has to be instantaneous. Enjoy the experience of the history , what it took to build this amazing railway system and the restoration of the trestles before and after the 2003 fires.
What I enjoy about the trail is the vista points and the people I have met from all over the world and I have some great photos to show. All done with out WiFi.
In 1992 when I first moved here myself and friends rode from Myra to Penticton before the updated trestles even existed and thought it was great. Thanks to all the volunteers and the gov't we now have an magnificent venue, but WiFi is not needed. Spend the money on signage and security at the parking lots.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

northglenmore2012 wrote:"...grants up tp $500,000.00 for rural communities..." Kelowna is still classified as a rural community, go figure eh!
God forbid, the NDP is as good as the Liberals in throwing our hard earned money away. Why doesn't the TOTA use the money they get from the hotel tax. For crying out load, stay out of our pockets.
Side Note I betcha 90% of the funding will go to management costs and their expenses. Luv to see their application and then the final financial report.

only in kelowna can govt spending on your area be bad if its not the right team doing the spending :smt045 lol
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

Wifi cameras up around the Kettle Valley Rail Trail might help put a stop to the thefts from cars that happen in the parking lots, at the least it might give an idea who the thieves are.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Sonny Taylor wrote:Not to mention that half a million bucks seems way over the top with today's technology.

The funding is not just for WiFi. (and no I don't think it's needed there)
Before people panic they should read the info on what the grant is actually for.

"We will see WiFi stations put along the trail. There will be new digital marketing campaigns put in place. We will have comprehensive consultations with our Indigenous people along the trail as well," said Glenn Mandziuk, CEO of TOTA.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

bcwoods wrote:You don't need WiFi to take photos or enjoy the outdoors. Tourists are welcome to collect as many memories and photos as the need then when the get back to town or where ever they are staying and then they can post. That is called free advertising thru social media. Now a days the attitude is every thing has to be instantaneous. Enjoy the experience of the history , what it took to build this amazing railway system and the restoration of the trestles before and after the 2003 fires.
What I enjoy about the trail is the vista points and the people I have met from all over the world and I have some great photos to show. All done with out WiFi.
In 1992 when I first moved here myself and friends rode from Myra to Penticton before the updated trestles even existed and thought it was great. Thanks to all the volunteers and the gov't we now have an magnificent venue, but WiFi is not needed. Spend the money on signage and security at the parking lots.

We're not in 1992 anymore.

I agree, one doesn't need WiFi to take photos - unless you geotag them, unless you want to upload them right away. Me, personally, I don't share most of my pictures right away, the odd one I might - I don't geotag my photos but thats just me. Others do, I understand this fact - I spend enough time travelling to see how important WiFi is in today's tourism world. And there are other reasons that people may want to plug in, FaceTime, etc. My personal view on people being plugged in all the time is irrelevant.

The world has changed, tourism has changed ...

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/bus ... 90d49d6e6c

Return to “Central Okanagan”