Merritt visitor center

catgaypar

Merritt visitor center

Post by catgaypar »

So with the closure of the Merritt Visitor's Center, what happens to the buildings etc there?
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Merritt visitor center

Post by alanjh595 »

Public washrooms and garbage drop off only?
Bring back the LIKE button.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I've questioned that facility since it 1st opened.

Did anyone ever stop there for the "visitor center" component? All I ever saw from day 1 was people using it for the washrooms, convenience store, and a place to park/stretch.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

TylerM4 wrote:I've questioned that facility since it 1st opened.

Did anyone ever stop there for the "visitor center" component? All I ever saw from day 1 was people using it for the washrooms, convenience store, and a place to park/stretch.

Not much to visit in Merritt.

More business for Timmys, Starbucks and the Home Diner. No biggie.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

lightspeed wrote:

Not much to visit in Merritt.

More business for Timmys, Starbucks and the Home Diner. No biggie.

AND the visitor's center is not even very close to Merritt.
Bring back the LIKE button.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

That how I used it.... next stop Abbotsford to top off fuel before entering GVRD.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

I used to use the washrooms, buy coffee and a snack. browse the books in the visitor centre, and pick up campground guides etc. (it wasn't just a centre for Merrit). So now the intention is to close down a perfectly good centre, with buildings in good condition - and then spend 7 million to build another one at the Loon Lake intersection - which is just a couple of K from the dead centre of nowhere.

Your job creations dollars at work!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

lensbaby wrote: and then spend 7 million to build another one at the Loon Lake intersection -

They are not building "another one", they are building a rest stop. Hopefully with room for RV's as well as cars.
We need more of those in BC.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Well .... Now where do we stop so I can have a smoke and a road pop ???

Perhaps the shoulder of the turn off from the connector to the Coqh.

That'll do .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Wonder what the chances are with this visitor center decommissioned, that MoT will now realign the absolute fuster cluck of an intersection accessing Hwy 5 from 97C? Yea, I know - slim to none.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

WalterWhite wrote:Wonder what the chances are with this visitor center decommissioned, that MoT will now realign the absolute fuster cluck of an intersection accessing Hwy 5 from 97C? Yea, I know - slim to none.

No reason to really ..It's Merrit .

The light to get from 5 to the connector doesn't take that long and all the rest are yields...

And the traffic ain't that bad..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

The new road stop at the Loon Lake turn off is intended to be isolated. That's generally where people need rest and washroom facilities... after putting a few clicks behind them. If you're 3 minutes out of Merritt where the original one was and need amenities it makes sense to side step into town which will be good for the local economy. The distance between Merritt and Kelowna is a comparatively long haul between serviced stops in terms of southern BC highway routes. Loon Lake turn off is also a location that will provide a haven if the Pennask Summit is temporarily weathered in. It may also facilitate the removal of that traffic light which for interests sake is the only one between Westbank and Horseshoe Bay if you travel on highway 1. Traffic lights at the bottom of long hills are not good whether you're going up or down.

The new one is also intended to accommodate large trucks and RV's as previously mentioned, probably similar to the one at the top of the Coke heading towards Hope. Personally, I rarely use these places. When we travel we focus on moving and not stopping. Great for people with small children, our tireless truck drivers and tourists though. Hard to understand anyone complaining about advancements in our highway corridors. Work for our people is usually a good thing.

On a side note, why is this topic listed under the Central Okanangan?
Someone has to say it.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

MAPearce wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:Wonder what the chances are with this visitor center decommissioned, that MoT will now realign the absolute fuster cluck of an intersection accessing Hwy 5 from 97C? Yea, I know - slim to none.

No reason to really ..It's Merrit .

The light to get from 5 to the connector doesn't take that long and all the rest are yields...

And the traffic ain't that bad..

It’s actually not so much the light, but headed West the left turn from 97C to 5, is a major pain for truck driver’s. It’s also the only intersection between leaving West Kelowna and 7A at East Hastings.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

When it was first opened , it was run by senior citizens, my mom being one of them. They had a lot of visitors, and mom said they really appreciated the old timers knowing the history of the area. and points of interest. So now everything can be googled ,Kind of sad to lose the human touch ,but I guess that's progress.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Honestly people, it's what, an hour from Kelowna, Kamloops or Hope to the soon to be decommissioned center.
Can you not go an hour without requiring a rest stop?
Even if you did need one there are out houses along the way. If you are really a trooper and can make it just over an hour there is a rest stop at the old toll booth, and if you are truly a road warrior on an adventure and can make it about an hour and a half there's another washroom facility with food trucks.

Return to “B.C.”