Dog attack in hotel lobby..

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Dog attack in hotel lobby..

Post by Dizzy1 »

techrtr wrote:I honestly can't understand why so many businesses allow people to bring dogs in unless it's a service dog

You don't have to understand - no one owe's anyone an explanation.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Whyme2 wrote:This whole thing about bringing your dog to a Hotel is getting ridiculous. What's next?.. When I fly will I be sitting next to a German Shepherd in seat 4B. :cuss:

No, people in this day and age being pet intolerant is what's getting ridiculous. To me, they're more selfish then those people they accuse of being selfish for bringing their pets with.

The people who stay at a hotel with their pets or fly an airline with their pets typically call around and ask to find out which company caters to that market - if you find it so "ridiculous", then I suggest you make the same effort and call around to find which business do not accept pets :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

gordon_as wrote:Be realistic , if a little mutt bites you , it probably won't even break skin. If it did , you might need a piece of kleenex for a couple of minutes. Pitbulls attacks cause horrendous injuries on a daily basis in North America.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -bull.html

Oh I agree that a bite from a big dog can definitely cause more damage but take heed - I can personally attest to the fact that a little dog bite (from a dog whose owner, while apologizing profusely, said "I can't believe he did that - he's never done anything like that before!"), can most definitely cause a puncture wound, tearing of the skin, bleeding, requiring a trip to a doc for antibiotics and a booster tetanus shot and bandaging, and black and blue bruising the size of an orange!! Please don't make the mistake of thinking a little pipsqueak of a dog can't do damage with its bite which is why I'm all for the muzzle in public.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

my5cents wrote:I would have you stay in the hotel and your dog at a kennel.

If you had a pet rattle snake, do you think because of the incident it should be allowed at the hotel ?

She's 13 1/2 years old and partially blind and deaf. She's not going to a kennel. She stays with me.

I get not wanting dogs in the bar or hanging out inside in common areas. That makes sense. But to say no dogs in a hotel is ridiculous. You generally only see them in passing.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

I think all dogs, regardless of size or breed, even though yours/mine have always been cuddly and lovable and wouldn't hurt a flea, can be unpredictable and therefore cause injury that can be avoided. For that reason I don't think they should be allowed in restaurants or pubs or in public unless they are muzzled, no exceptions. I am fine with them wherever they want to be if they are muzzled. If a hotel chooses to be pet-friendly, fine by me, but that should only extend as far as checking in and out, and directly from the room to the outside, with the dog on a short leash and muzzled. If you don't want to muzzle your dog in public then stay home with it.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

dle wrote:I think all dogs, regardless of size or breed, even though yours/mine have always been cuddly and lovable and wouldn't hurt a flea, can be unpredictable and therefore cause injury that can be avoided. For that reason I don't think they should be allowed in restaurants or pubs or in public unless they are muzzled, no exceptions. I am fine with them wherever they want to be if they are muzzled. If a hotel chooses to be pet-friendly, fine by me, but that should only extend as far as checking in and out, and directly from the room to the outside, with the dog on a short leash and muzzled. If you don't want to muzzle your dog in public then stay home with it.

I agree with everything but the muzzling and being allowed where food is served. Muzzling is not necessary with 99.9% of dogs. And in many cases it increases aggression in dogs.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

JLives wrote:
dle wrote:I think all dogs, regardless of size or breed, even though yours/mine have always been cuddly and lovable and wouldn't hurt a flea, can be unpredictable and therefore cause injury that can be avoided. For that reason I don't think they should be allowed in restaurants or pubs or in public unless they are muzzled, no exceptions. I am fine with them wherever they want to be if they are muzzled. If a hotel chooses to be pet-friendly, fine by me, but that should only extend as far as checking in and out, and directly from the room to the outside, with the dog on a short leash and muzzled. If you don't want to muzzle your dog in public then stay home with it.

I agree with everything but the muzzling and being allowed where food is served. Muzzling is not necessary with 99.9% of dogs. And in many cases it increases aggression in dogs.

Then you pretty much disagree with everything I said because my whole post was in favour of muzzling lol. There are muzzles that are soft and just prevent them being able to open their mouths wide enough to get a good grip...they can still drink through them of course and they are not distressing to the dog and from people who have them they say most dogs are fine with them right off the bat. It might take a bit for some to get used to it but short periods at home with it on solves that. They work very well and try to remember - it's protection for your dog as well as anyone around it - if a bite happens the dog gets blamed. I wouldn't want my dog seized and put down because I didn't protect it by putting a soft muzzle on it. That would be ALL on me.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Fair enough lol. I agree with your reasons. I'm firmly opposed to muzzling though except in extreme circumstances. If you're muzzling the average dog, just because they're a dog, it can bring out aggressive tendencies. Muzzling is not always a good thing and not everything needs to be focused on what is best for people
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

JLives wrote:Fair enough lol. I agree with your reasons. I'm firmly opposed to muzzling though except in extreme circumstances. If you're muzzling the average dog, just because they're a dog, it can bring out aggressive tendencies. Muzzling is not always a good thing and not everything needs to be focused on what is best for people

I hear you - there are times I much rather prefer the company of an animal to any human and can certainly say I've met more bad humans than bad animals. Thing is though, the human factor is always the focus and trumps in a question of confrontation between man and beast - the beast usually takes the rap and pays with its life. Its kind of a "shoot first ask questions later" philosophy....
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

dle wrote:I hear you - there are times I much rather prefer the company of an animal to any human and can certainly say I've met more bad humans than bad animals

Something to that bumper sticker " the more people I meet, the more I love my dog"

We have a couple of Golden Retrievers. I know they won't bite or be aggressive unless they are attacked and then might retaliate/ stand up to the aggression best they can. They are still pups at 15 and 13 months. They love people as many Golden's do but their exuberance is such that it can and does put off people who don't know them. Off leash along the KVR is great but when a bike or people come by, dogs are reigned in. We do choose times and places where there might be a few others walking but not hundreds like a summers Sunday.
I will not stand for unprovoked aggression towards my dogs and have reacted quickly and decisively when an event has happened or I see it is about to from the other dogs positioning.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Fancy wrote:
dle wrote:I wonder if a pit bull has ever been in training, or accepted, to be a police dog? If not, why not? Just curious....

Yes but not in the Okanagan.

too bad, they sure would take a bite out of crime
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GordonH wrote:If pet owners can't keep absolute full control of there pets while in public (i.e inside buildings & grounds of said building) spaces then they should not be taking those pets with them.

100% correct- that simple
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

the Truth wrote:

too bad, they sure would take a bite out of crime[/quote]

:D good one.....they do have that "make my day" look about them don't they....maybe just having a few of them as beat canine cops just walking around town with a handler might be enough of a deterrent to make many a goof think twice. I'd have to make an exception and relax my stance on muzzles in this instance for it to be truly effective. Course, we'd have to have beat cops so I guess there goes that idea out the window....
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

seewood wrote:
dle wrote:I hear you - there are times I much rather prefer the company of an animal to any human and can certainly say I've met more bad humans than bad animals

Something to that bumper sticker " the more people I meet, the more I love my dog"

We have a couple of Golden Retrievers. I know they won't bite or be aggressive unless they are attacked and then might retaliate/ stand up to the aggression best they can. They are still pups at 15 and 13 months. They love people as many Golden's do but their exuberance is such that it can and does put off people who don't know them. Off leash along the KVR is great but when a bike or people come by, dogs are reigned in. We do choose times and places where there might be a few others walking but not hundreds like a summers Sunday.
I will not stand for unprovoked aggression towards my dogs and have reacted quickly and decisively when an event has happened or I see it is about to from the other dogs positioning.

Yeah I know the dogs like to run free and they should have those times....but I'm not sure the interface trails are a good place for that after reading of the dog who was a little ahead of their owners and a deer popped out of the bush onto the trail and stomped the poor dog...apparently to protect what she thought of as a threat to her fawn
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

JLives wrote:She's 13 1/2 years old and partially blind and deaf. She's not going to a kennel. She stays with me.

I get not wanting dogs in the bar or hanging out inside in common areas. That makes sense. But to say no dogs in a hotel is ridiculous. You generally only see them in passing.

My comment that your dog should be in a kennel was/is based on the scenario that unfolded at the Grande.

Until this story came out my experience and expectation of a pet friendly hotel/motel, is as you described "only see them in passing", and that would be fine with me.

I hadn't thought of the fine details of the animal travelling from the car (or transportation) through to the room.

BUT even if your dog is the very best friendliest most loveable small tame, wonderful dog with no teeth, it should still be on a leash from car to room, preferably through a side entrance. (and I have no reason to doubt that that is how you control your dog in a hotel) If nothing else it's courtesy, or should be deemed as such.

Dog owners should show respect to others using a (park, hotel, sidewalk,,,,,,) by alleviating any concern of others using that public area by having their dogs on a leash. You (not you personally) as a person who has chosen to bring a dog into a public area should show that respect.

The protocol of showing that respect IS NOT alleviated by you verbally stating to someone your unleashed dog is approaching, "oh don't worry my dog is very tame". Just like the politeness standard for a man standing at an elevator waiting for it to arrive, and allowing a woman to enter first isn't alleviated by him verbally stating, as he barges in before her, "oh don't worry we're all going to get to the floor at the same time in the elevator".

A segment of our population is fed up with having to worry about uncontrolled dogs in so many public areas. I can't go for a walk without my wife being concerned because an unleashed dog is approaching her with it's handler nowhere near. Walking through a public market tripping over dogs and leashes.... and apparently the lobby of a 5 star hotel.

I have good friends who breed dogs, who never walk their dogs off leash, and are very concerned about the off leash dogs.

The scenario at the Grande, with one dog in the bar and another running free through the hotel lobby is COMPLETELY wrong.

It's too bad this discussion has been derailed by the usual gang, talking about how big this or that dog is and if this type will bite.

As for dog attacks, I have been attacked by the best, dozens and dozens of times. Dogs, especially the large breeds are strong, fast and their jaws are incredibly strong.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Central Okanagan”