48776

Yard Waste in Green Bins

Yard Waste in Green Bins

Postby Jlabute » Oct 28th, 2017, 11:34 am

Hi everyone.

The green bins are fairly large and therefore during summer months, it takes me 3 or 4 periods to fill it up. As fall arrives, the city still only comes once every two weeks which hardly allows those with lots of leaves to get rid of them. Perhaps starting in October, the green bin can be picked up once a week? Is that a good or bad idea?
I do diligence and sometimes diligence does me.

5 people like this post.
User avatar
Jlabute
Übergod
 
Posts: 1108
Likes: 532 posts
Liked in: 619 posts
Joined: Jan 18th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Re: Yard Waste in Green Bins

Postby Bsuds » Oct 28th, 2017, 11:53 am

This works for me. I store the extra leaves in bags for the Winter then fill the bin in the Spring for pick up till they are all gone.
So either way they get picked up.

Jlabute likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 40920
Likes: 7084 posts
Liked in: 8915 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Yard Waste in Green Bins

Postby Lady tehMa » Oct 28th, 2017, 11:59 am

I fill my bin with the stuff that won't compost down. I would love to have more leaves. My neighbour's pine drops loads of cones and needles in my yard - I can usually fill it 4 or more times with just that. Then there is the prunings from the roses and the trees, and anything invasive like weeds or mint.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Jlabute likes this post.
User avatar
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16786
Likes: 13574 posts
Liked in: 3387 posts
Joined: Aug 2nd, 2005, 2:51 pm

Re: Yard Waste in Green Bins

Postby Bsuds » Oct 28th, 2017, 12:03 pm

Lady tehMa wrote: I would love to have more leaves.


I have 6 large bags mulched by the lawn mower and more to come...you can have them!

Lady tehMa likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 40920
Likes: 7084 posts
Liked in: 8915 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Yard Waste in Green Bins

Postby Queen K » Oct 28th, 2017, 12:03 pm

Leaves? In the Green Bins? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Lady teMah and I can only dream of more leaves. Or acquire them somehow from people who bag them and leave them out in hopes of attracting those of us who are willing to take them.

I have so much compost this Fall because of my due diligence in acquiring leaves last Fall that I'm having trouble distributing it throughout my vast garden areas.

KIDDING!
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.

Jlabute likes this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 48515
Likes: 8733 posts
Liked in: 9584 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Yard Waste in Green Bins

Postby alanjh595 » Oct 28th, 2017, 12:46 pm

My problem is that I overstuff my bin and it doesn't always get fully dumped. I also wish that we could dump kitchen compost in these bins. Ultimately, I will have a property that I can build a compost bin for everything the pig won't eat.
User avatar
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 801
Likes: 247 posts
Liked in: 463 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: Yard Waste in Green Bins

Postby Jlabute » Oct 28th, 2017, 1:05 pm

People want leaves? I had never thought this would be possible. I too bag mine and get rid of them in the green bin the following spring. I have enough leaves to fill half a garage. If anyone wants leaves, lol, I too am willing to leave them bagged in a lane... and still have MORE left over for the city... hint hint city workers.
I do diligence and sometimes diligence does me.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Jlabute
Übergod
 
Posts: 1108
Likes: 532 posts
Liked in: 619 posts
Joined: Jan 18th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Re: Yard Waste in Green Bins

Postby Bsuds » Oct 28th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Jlabute wrote:People want leaves? I had never thought this would be possible. I too bag mine and get rid of them in the green bin the following spring. I have enough leaves to fill half a garage. If anyone wants leaves, lol, I too am willing to leave them bagged in a lane... and still have MORE left over for the city... hint hint city workers.


We could compost them and sell it to Jlives and the crazy cat queen. :D

Lady tehMa likes this post.
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 40920
Likes: 7084 posts
Liked in: 8915 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Yard Waste in Green Bins

Postby Bsuds » Oct 28th, 2017, 2:07 pm

Bsuds wrote:
Jlabute wrote:People want leaves? I had never thought this would be possible. I too bag mine and get rid of them in the green bin the following spring. I have enough leaves to fill half a garage. If anyone wants leaves, lol, I too am willing to leave them bagged in a lane... and still have MORE left over for the city... hint hint city workers.


We could compost them and sell it to Lady Tehma and the crazy cat queen. :D
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 40920
Likes: 7084 posts
Liked in: 8915 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 9:46 am

Re: Yard Waste in Green Bins

Postby Jlabute » Oct 28th, 2017, 2:35 pm

A side business! That sure sounds tempting. The province would love to charge us tax for dead leaves sold.
I do diligence and sometimes diligence does me.
User avatar
Jlabute
Übergod
 
Posts: 1108
Likes: 532 posts
Liked in: 619 posts
Joined: Jan 18th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Re: Yard Waste in Green Bins

Postby alanjh595 » Oct 28th, 2017, 3:01 pm

Jlabute wrote:A side business! That sure sounds tempting. The province would love to charge us tax for dead leaves sold.

Never mind that, what about:
Business licence.
Insurance
WCB
User avatar
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 801
Likes: 247 posts
Liked in: 463 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 4:18 pm

Re: Yard Waste in Green Bins

Postby pbear » Oct 28th, 2017, 4:27 pm

I’ve been known to nab bags of leaves as I’m driving home. The only thing I check for is doggie do in the bag before I dump it on my flower beds. Leaves are gold and I never get enough!
I’m accepting donations if you would like to drop them off :biggrin:
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.

2 people like this post.
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 796
Likes: 120 posts
Liked in: 171 posts
Joined: Jul 1st, 2006, 9:55 am

Re: Yard Waste in Green Bins

Postby Queen K » Oct 28th, 2017, 5:39 pm

QK Garden Charity Foundation also accepts donations.

Never enough leaves! :130:
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 48515
Likes: 8733 posts
Liked in: 9584 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Re: Yard Waste in Green Bins

Postby MAPearce » Oct 28th, 2017, 6:02 pm

Jlabute wrote:Hi everyone.

The green bins are fairly large and therefore during summer months, it takes me 3 or 4 periods to fill it up. As fall arrives, the city still only comes once every two weeks which hardly allows those with lots of leaves to get rid of them. Perhaps starting in October, the green bin can be picked up once a week? Is that a good or bad idea?


It's a GREAT idea J ...

That's why they will NEVER do such a thing..
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

2 people like this post.
User avatar
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water
 
Posts: 10174
Likes: 1217 posts
Liked in: 3173 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: Yard Waste in Green Bins

Postby Queen K » Oct 28th, 2017, 6:04 pm

It is a great idea, JLabute for council in the next election!
The NDP Government: 2017 thread is not in the Bickering Room. Money can't buy what I want for Christmas.

Jlabute likes this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 48515
Likes: 8733 posts
Liked in: 9584 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am
Location: What? You mean here?

Next

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KelownaCrackinCrew, lightspeed, MAPearce and 10 guests