Yard Waste in Green Bins

Jlabute
Guru

Yard Waste in Green Bins

Post by Jlabute »

Hi everyone.

The green bins are fairly large and therefore during summer months, it takes me 3 or 4 periods to fill it up. As fall arrives, the city still only comes once every two weeks which hardly allows those with lots of leaves to get rid of them. Perhaps starting in October, the green bin can be picked up once a week? Is that a good or bad idea?
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Yard Waste in Green Bins

Post by Bsuds »

This works for me. I store the extra leaves in bags for the Winter then fill the bin in the Spring for pick up till they are all gone.
So either way they get picked up.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I fill my bin with the stuff that won't compost down. I would love to have more leaves. My neighbour's pine drops loads of cones and needles in my yard - I can usually fill it 4 or more times with just that. Then there is the prunings from the roses and the trees, and anything invasive like weeds or mint.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Lady tehMa wrote: I would love to have more leaves.

I have 6 large bags mulched by the lawn mower and more to come...you can have them!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Leaves? In the Green Bins? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Lady teMah and I can only dream of more leaves. Or acquire them somehow from people who bag them and leave them out in hopes of attracting those of us who are willing to take them.

I have so much compost this Fall because of my due diligence in acquiring leaves last Fall that I'm having trouble distributing it throughout my vast garden areas.

KIDDING!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

My problem is that I overstuff my bin and it doesn't always get fully dumped. I also wish that we could dump kitchen compost in these bins. Ultimately, I will have a property that I can build a compost bin for everything the pig won't eat.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

People want leaves? I had never thought this would be possible. I too bag mine and get rid of them in the green bin the following spring. I have enough leaves to fill half a garage. If anyone wants leaves, lol, I too am willing to leave them bagged in a lane... and still have MORE left over for the city... hint hint city workers.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Jlabute wrote:People want leaves? I had never thought this would be possible. I too bag mine and get rid of them in the green bin the following spring. I have enough leaves to fill half a garage. If anyone wants leaves, lol, I too am willing to leave them bagged in a lane... and still have MORE left over for the city... hint hint city workers.

We could compost them and sell it to Jlives and the crazy cat queen. :D
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Bsuds wrote:
Jlabute wrote:People want leaves? I had never thought this would be possible. I too bag mine and get rid of them in the green bin the following spring. I have enough leaves to fill half a garage. If anyone wants leaves, lol, I too am willing to leave them bagged in a lane... and still have MORE left over for the city... hint hint city workers.

We could compost them and sell it to Lady Tehma and the crazy cat queen. :D
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

A side business! That sure sounds tempting. The province would love to charge us tax for dead leaves sold.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Jlabute wrote:A side business! That sure sounds tempting. The province would love to charge us tax for dead leaves sold.

Never mind that, what about:
Business licence.
Insurance
WCB
Bring back the LIKE button.
pbear
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pbear »

I’ve been known to nab bags of leaves as I’m driving home. The only thing I check for is doggie do in the bag before I dump it on my flower beds. Leaves are gold and I never get enough!
I’m accepting donations if you would like to drop them off :biggrin:
Life happens, grab tight and treasure it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

QK Garden Charity Foundation also accepts donations.

Never enough leaves! :130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Jlabute wrote:Hi everyone.

The green bins are fairly large and therefore during summer months, it takes me 3 or 4 periods to fill it up. As fall arrives, the city still only comes once every two weeks which hardly allows those with lots of leaves to get rid of them. Perhaps starting in October, the green bin can be picked up once a week? Is that a good or bad idea?

It's a GREAT idea J ...

That's why they will NEVER do such a thing..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It is a great idea, JLabute for council in the next election!

Return to “Central Okanagan”