The Okanagan Loop

AlienSoldier
Übergod

The Okanagan Loop

Post by AlienSoldier »

Imagine a transit/streetcar loop around the Okanagan lake, connecting the airport, University, Vernon, West Kelowna and downtown Kelowna.

People could hope on and off at various area's boosting tourism and efficiently move people around all of the centers. It would be an economic booster like the University and such! Many urban area's have such things and it helps them promote the City further.

What are your thoughts?
gman313
Lord of the Board

Re: The Okanagan Loop

Post by gman313 »

AlienSoldier wrote:Imagine a transit/streetcar loop around the Okanagan lake, connecting the airport, University, Vernon, West Kelowna and downtown Kelowna.

People could hope on and off at various area's boosting tourism and efficiently move people around all of the centers. It would be an economic booster like the University and such! Many urban area's have such things and it helps them promote the City further.

What are your thoughts?

love the idea in theory. I know they have looked at high speed and/or mass transit. I don't think we have the population to support it, even with tourism. Will we? maybe one day. The valley also only has so much resources and space.

I think it is wise to leave the corridor open. we may get there.

:130:
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Imagine if the rail trail was a new light transit system. Build on a 3p model.

Hmm....vision. Catering to local residents, rather than tourists.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

lightspeed wrote:Imagine if the rail trail was a new light transit system. Build on a 3p model.

Hmm....vision. Catering to local residents, rather than tourists.

I don't think that line would get much use. people love their cars
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

gman313 wrote:
AlienSoldier wrote:Imagine a transit/streetcar loop around the Okanagan lake, connecting the airport, University, Vernon, West Kelowna and downtown Kelowna.

What are your thoughts?

love the idea in theory. I know they have looked at high speed and/or mass transit. I don't think we have the population to support it, even with tourism. Will we? maybe one day. The valley also only has so much resources and space.

I think it is wise to leave the corridor open. we may get there.

:130:

In countries like Germany they build the railnetworks out places where no one lives and at the stations they make that the center of town and suddenly the values start going up and people are moving there. It brings everything together in a very beautiful way.

Also, we don't need high speed, or even low speed rail. Light rail like LRV's/streetcars to start with would be fine and are designed for densities such as the Okanagan's.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

good points. so last question how do we change the car loving mentality?

I specifically chose a place to live where I could actually walk to work. I am fortunate enough to walk the waterfront every day. 30 min in, 30 min out. Bad day at work is out of your head by the time you get home and you feel great.
tylerdaniels
Fledgling

Post by tylerdaniels »

I think this sounds as silly as when those people who ran for council in the last election who wanted to dig up the street to downtown and fill it with the lake water so it was more accessible to boaters.

Most of Okanagan lake is not very populated, this would serve no real purpose other than looking scenic to tourist.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

tylerdaniels wrote:I think this sounds as silly as when those people who ran for council in the last election who wanted to dig up the street to downtown and fill it with the lake water so it was more accessible to boaters.

Wasn't that an April Fool's joke?
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Great idea, I think it would eliminate a lot of congestion.

Kal Lake
Okanagan College Vernon
Kelowna Airport
UBCO
Costco (or HWY97/33 intersection)
Orchard Park Mall
Okanagan College Kelowna
Downtown
West Kelowna (some winery)

I know a lot of people would take it and so would I.

If they also built a stop (or stops) out of the center of town they could build a lot of high density buildings that are commutable even for low income people. This would be a very attractive investment for a developer, HUGE selling point.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

JayByrd wrote:
tylerdaniels wrote:I think this sounds as silly as when those people who ran for council in the last election who wanted to dig up the street to downtown and fill it with the lake water so it was more accessible to boaters.

Wasn't that an April Fool's joke?

It was, but before that it was a very real suggestion by the John Zeger/Andy Thompson crowd.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

How much would it cost?
How long would it take?
How often would it run and at what hours?
How many busses would be needed?
What would the fare be?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

As for light rail. The city could benefit from a system going from Westbank town center to the airport. With a stop on the west side, downtown kelown, orchard park mall, and Rutland.

Each stops would need inexpensive park and ride stations as well.

As much as people like their cars. It would still be much simpler for a westk resident to walk or drive 5 mins to the train, and catch 20 min train to the mall. In fact, nearly every study has shown how this would reduce traffic, and also boost wealth in the regions with easy access to the train.

Advantages of trains over buses is reliability of service. Both more frequent and more timely. Aside from initial investment, it would eventually be cheaper than an equivalent bus route due to fuel. With a total of only about 6 stops, it would also be far more secure, as each of these stops could be easily monitored with security cameras and lighting as opposed to most bus stops.

This certainly should be something for the city to consider as it continues to grow.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

It sounds wonderful but it would never be profitable as the population isn't there. There would be like 5 people going from Kelowna to Vernon on a giant *bleep* train. Look at how many people Greyhound moves with their buses and imagine that number being spread over the entire day.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Instead of thinking rail (cost prohibitive) why not a regional bus service. Northern Ontario has Northern Bus Lines owned by the province and is a great competitor to Greyhound with great schedules and fares. Why couldn't someone create Okanagan Bus Lines. Company could be funded and controlled by all three cities or involve the regional districts. It would run multi-times from Osoyoos to Vernon daily basis with additional scheduled runs between the major centres and perhaps Kelowna Airport but it could be a great revenue produce and provide a needed service. Would also get a large number of vehicles off the road. Not sure how BC Transit would feel but hey are they really servicing our areas? Better than rail. Marketed properly could be a wonderful alternative for tourists as well.
spooker

Post by spooker »

southy wrote:Instead of thinking rail (cost prohibitive) why not a regional bus service. Northern Ontario has Northern Bus Lines owned by the province and is a great competitor to Greyhound with great schedules and fares. Why couldn't someone create Okanagan Bus Lines. Company could be funded and controlled by all three cities or involve the regional districts. It would run multi-times from Osoyoos to Vernon daily basis with additional scheduled runs between the major centres and perhaps Kelowna Airport but it could be a great revenue produce and provide a needed service. Would also get a large number of vehicles off the road. Not sure how BC Transit would feel but hey are they really servicing our areas? Better than rail. Marketed properly could be a wonderful alternative for tourists as well.

Most analysis for rail vs highway ends up with the rail coming out as more cost effective when everything is factored in (yes, even the cost of the cars needs to be counted) ... while upfront costs for rail would seem larger, apportioned out over the lifetime it comes out lower ...

And when you have rail that doesn't have to share the road with SOVs or trucks ... winner winner turkey dinner!

Return to “Central Okanagan”