Snow falling

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Snow falling

Post by Fancy »

One advantage to the snow - finding out the best places to put the rat traps.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
monilynno
Board Meister

Post by monilynno »

3ft H x 60ft L high pile of snow on my street in the town center of Rutland, good thing we have 4 wheel drive vehicles just to be able to park. The city talks about "Snow Removal" my question is what imaginary corner of this city did the city actually do "Snow Removal" LOL
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

monilynno wrote:3ft H x 60ft L high pile of snow on my street in the town center of Rutland, good thing we have 4 wheel drive vehicles just to be able to park. The city talks about "Snow Removal" my question is what imaginary corner of this city did the city actually do "Snow Removal" LOL

Rest assured, this city did not remove any snow, anywhere. Where we live the city feels the street is too wide and that PUSHING the snow to remove 1 lane completely is acceptable. Sent a request in to the city last week to come up with a loader to clean up the worst part of the street but of course...........nothing. With a P.O.S. mayor and equal city council........"nothing" is the operative word unless of course you supported their election.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I wonder what the poor people complain about ??? Hmmmmm....

:D
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
monilynno
Board Meister

Post by monilynno »

dirtybiker wrote:I wonder what the poor people complain about ??? Hmmmmm....

:D

The same thing "Government" and it's inability to do anything right.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

lesliepaul wrote:
Rest assured, this city did not remove any snow, anywhere. Where we live the city feels the street is too wide and that PUSHING the snow to remove 1 lane completely is acceptable. Sent a request in to the city last week to come up with a loader to clean up the worst part of the street but of course...........nothing. With a P.O.S. mayor and equal city council........"nothing" is the operative word unless of course you supported their election.

Ha ha i saw yesterdays story about clearing the streets around Kelowna overnight and to be honest it was about time they cleared out the parking spots. So today i drove down Pandosy and guess what they have "moved" all the snow from the edge of streets where vehicles can park and piled it up in the middle of the road like a huge barrier. Its now impossible to turn left into some businesses!
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

City of Kelowna`s new motto.
We may be slow, but we do poor work.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

OK, It has to be done at night, less vehicles parked and moving, less foot traffic to
worry about.
A night of pulling the snow from the edges to the middle so as to have
better access to it.
Next night, come in with the blower and a fleet of dumps, next thing, it is gone
and forgotten.

Although, Friday and Saturday nights are much more dangerous to do this.
Too many drunks wandering into work zones.

I really don't know what is so hard to comprehend about this...
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Earlier today saw the cities Volvo Loader with a good size blower on it so it happens as DB says. Move it to the middle give it a *bleep* ( snow *bleep* ) . Presto change o its gone.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

It's snowing big time here in Glenmore.
Capture.JPG
Bring back the LIKE button.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Noisy Boater wrote:Earlier today saw the cities Volvo Loader with a good size blower on it so it happens as DB says. Move it to the middle give it a *bleep* ( snow *bleep* ) . Presto change o its gone.

I have no doubt this is the plan and will happen BUT why not just scoop it up and take it away from the street sides rather than spending all that time moving it and then coming back and removing it later?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

dodgerdodge wrote:
I have no doubt this is the plan and will happen BUT why not just scoop it up and take it away from the street sides rather than spending all that time moving it and then coming back and removing it later?

Blowing into the trucks from the side only gets partial utelization of their capacity,
Loading straight over the gate is the best method.
Trying to do this along road edges is problematic with the way curbs jut out
at intersections.
Not to mention all the low overhanging tree branches with potential to hook
stacks and mirrors, antenna's and such.
Road edge signage also, Christmas decorations or advertising banners hanging off of light standards and poles.
Trust this, there is a lot going on in the drivers seats of both the trucks and the loader
when doing a constantly moving, flowing job like this.
Cutting down on the variables for accidents and incidents to happen, is paramount.

It is done the way it is done for very good reason.

I hope this helps in some way.
monilynno
Board Meister

Post by monilynno »

dodgerdodge wrote:

Blowing into the trucks from the side only gets partial utelization of their capacity,
Loading straight over the gate is the best method.
Trying to do this along road edges is problematic with the way curbs jut out
at intersections.
Not to mention all the low overhanging tree branches with potential to hook
stacks and mirrors, antenna's and such.
Road edge signage also, Christmas decorations or advertising banners hanging off of light standards and poles.
Trust this, there is a lot going on in the drivers seats of both the trucks and the loader
when doing a constantly moving, flowing job like this.
Cutting down on the variables for accidents and incidents to happen, is paramount.

It is done the way it is done for very good reason.

I hope this helps in some way.

They don't seem to have any trouble at all in cities like Montreal and Edmonton picking up the snow with a blower from right where it fell.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

The amount of snow blown into the trucks is greater in one swath of wind rowed snow as opposed to 4 or 5 passes of non wind rowed snow. Think of the logistics. A grader with a wing could travel the wrong way on a street windrow each side to the center then blow it in trucks. As long as there are no vehicles parked this could be efficient and speedy. If you have never run equipment you may not get the theory but trust me some high payed consultant has looked into it. :D
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

monilynno wrote:They don't seem to have any trouble at all in cities like Montreal and Edmonton picking up the snow with a blower from right where it fell.

They also have multi millions of dollars more invested in equipment. and a far
larger snow removal budget than our little berg.

We play with dinky toys compared to what they have.

Return to “Central Okanagan”