Gas $139.9

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Gas $139.9

Post by Urban Cowboy »

alanjh595 wrote:
the truth wrote:problem is the bus system in this town is a joke at best

The real joke is that; there is a lack of ridership to make it worthwhile to run bus routes with 3/4 empty buses.

True but in large part that is due to those making the decisions not providing a service or route that caters to not just students, but also working folk.

If the bus schedules are useless it will equate to empty buses.

It's also time those deciding upon the schedules realize that we have evolved to a point where for many it's not simply a matter of work is Monday to Friday, and Saturday and Sunday are days off. These days commerce operates pretty much 24/7/365 thus transportation options need to factor that into the equation.

There are definitely more people in Kelowna and area who would be happy to use public transit if only it ran when they needed it.

When you have routes where it takes a rider almost two hours to get from Orchard Park to the Mission, as one person shared, then it becomes obvious why many still prefer their own vehicle.

Routes and schedules need to be designed to cater to the working public, and then need to be given ample time for said public to view public transit as a viable option, and that won't happen overnight.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

exactly :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Got back from the Coast last night. Highest price for gas was Vernon both on the way down and the way up, and that includes the Island! At least it's down to 129.9 this morning.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Why do people always complain about gas? Yes the price is high, but that's also because there are few options for transportation. If people had bike lanes, buses and trains you would be able to fight back with your wallet. Yet when those conversations come up, people complain that they need more road and don't want to pay.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

alanjh595 wrote:
The real joke is that; there is a lack of ridership to make it worthwhile to run bus routes with 3/4 empty buses.

Ridership is up year after year. Ridership is based on a total yearly average, not based on the handful of buses Joe Blow sees driving around.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

just popping in wrote:
The problem is the buses don't run when working people need them, that's why the ridership is poor, they cater to students and shopping.

Huh? Most people work during the day just as students are in class. Buses start earlier then most people get up and finish well past bedtime.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Not all routes Dizzy, if I were to take transit, would take me over an hour to get to work and the same home because of the schedule
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

I agree, Dizzy, but not everyone works 8-5 Monday to Friday, buses don't start until 6 a.m. and finish at 10 or 11 p.m. depending on the routes and Sunday schedule is not for working people at all.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

just popping in wrote:The problem is the buses don't run when working people need them, that's why the ridership is poor, they cater to students and shopping.

Dizzy1 wrote:Huh? Most people work during the day just as students are in class. Buses start earlier then most people get up and finish well past bedtime.

Unfortunately those who start or finish work after midnight to 6:30am, are all S-O-L.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

GordonH wrote:
just popping in wrote:The problem is the buses don't run when working people need them, that's why the ridership is poor, they cater to students and shopping.

Dizzy1 wrote:Huh? Most people work during the day just as students are in class. Buses start earlier then most people get up and finish well past bedtime.

Unfortunately those who start or finish work after midnight to 6:30am, are all S-O-L.

ride a bike
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Unfortunately those who start or finish work after midnight to 6:30am, are all S-O-L.

gman313 wrote:ride a bike

Those who take this advise, wear reflective clothing & have a light on your bike. Or you may likely end up being a statistic.
Added later: far to many cyclist & pedestrians wear dark clothing with nothing reflective in Kelowna area.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Bubalouie wrote:Not all routes Dizzy, if I were to take transit, would take me over an hour to get to work and the same home because of the schedule

There is the odd route that is lean all day long, they’re still required and are subsidized through busier routes. Most routes have their peak times and lean times. Some routes are always busy. Point is, ridership is up year after year based on actual ridership counts - not based on people sitting in their cars looking at a bus and making blind assumptions.

As for taking an hour to get to work. That’s no different with most public transportation systems, any where in the world. There are always those people who are fortunate and live and work or shop on a major route and just have a short skip on the bus. But for most people, it doesn’t work that way - it takes longer and usually more than one bus - and that’s the same for any transit system.

When I lived in Europe, it would take me about 15-20 minutes from home to work by car. With transit, it took me an hour requiring a bus, a tram and two trains - and their system is light years ahead of ours. The difference is that transit cost me 100 Euros a month and fuel for my car would have cost me 100 Euros a week.

The problem isn’t the transit system itself, even tho I whole heartily agree it has vast room for improvement. The or Born is the North American mentality. People here can’t be bothered to walk a couple of blocks to a bus stop and have to adjust their schedule to the bus schedule. Everyone here expects a bus to pick them up at their front door and take them directly to where they need to go in their schedule and not the buses schedule.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

just popping in wrote:I agree, Dizzy, but not everyone works 8-5 Monday to Friday, buses don't start until 6 a.m. and finish at 10 or 11 p.m. depending on the routes and Sunday schedule is not for working people at all.

Not everyone does, but the majority of working folks work well within the scope of the current bus schedule. Not saying they’re can’t be extended hours of service but the current schedule isn’t as bad as it could be.
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

Where are all the coal rollers complaining that diesel is more expensive than gas???
spooker

Post by spooker »

sulchie wrote:Where are all the coal rollers complaining that diesel is more expensive than gas???

Why would we complain about something that's not true? Typically I'm paying $0.10 less per litre than regular unleaded gasoline ... add to that I only fill up every two months and I don't have anything to complain about ...

Return to “Central Okanagan”