Gas $139.9

Omnitheo
Guru

Re: Gas $139.9

Post by Omnitheo »

alanjh595 wrote:To be fair, this has nothing to do with BC/Canadian politics.
due to a spike on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and the shutdown of the Explorer Pipeline, which delivers fuel from the U.S. Gulf Coast to much of the Midwest

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#210640

It has to do with a pipeline leak and a repair.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pipe ... SKBN1CV36L

That’s a load of BS. Why should we pay for their pipeline repair? When a fibre line gets cut for Shaw, they don’t just tell all their customers “we’re charging an extra $10 this month”

Any business needs to be able to cover their expenses. If they have an unexpected expense, it needs to cut into their profits. Not be passed onto others.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

lesliepaul wrote:We are about 25-30 cents more a liter than Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba. Well, no going out for dinner this week to support any local Kelowna restaurant.............PASS THE PAIN ALONG!

:cuss: Kelowna greed!

Were is the word we need to use now. Stations in Calgary have already upped prices to 1.279 per liter. Gouged White North. I just hope my retirement investments have some Big Oil component because they are about to make obscene profits.
Prices down here in Penticton have shot up as well though the 7-11 Petrocan is still 1.259 until the morning manager gets in.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

GordonH wrote:Rack price has gone up by .176 cent a litre since Oct 18.

Oct 18 it was @ .705 cents per/L
Today its @ .881 cents per/L

As I've said before gasoline & oil are traded separately, been that way since late 80s or early 90s.

Rack price has little to do with pump price - how many times have we seen the rack price go down and pump price go up in the last years? :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
delSol97
Board Meister

Post by delSol97 »

Unless I'm snow blind, we're still waiting for the guys to chime in about how it's still cheap compared to Starbucks and you should just pass on your daily coffee.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

alanjh595 wrote:To be fair, this has nothing to do with BC/Canadian politics.
due to a spike on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange and the shutdown of the Explorer Pipeline, which delivers fuel from the U.S. Gulf Coast to much of the Midwest

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#210640

It has to do with a pipeline leak and a repair.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pipe ... SKBN1CV36L

Omnitheo wrote:
That’s a load of BS. Why should we pay for their pipeline repair? When a fibre line gets cut for Shaw, they don’t just tell all their customers “we’re charging an extra $10 this month”

Any business needs to be able to cover their expenses. If they have an unexpected expense, it needs to cut into their profits. Not be passed onto others.

Couldn't agree more.

The price hike justification is more often than not a load of BS.

Problem is we're dealing with an oligarchy that pretty much does as it pleases, while it masquerades as multiple business entities.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Rack price has gone up by .176 cent a litre since Oct 18.

Oct 18 it was @ .705 cents per/L
Today its @ .881 cents per/L

As I've said before gasoline & oil are traded separately, been that way since late 80s or early 90s.

Dizzy1 wrote:Rack price has little to do with pump price - how many times have we seen the rack price go down and pump price go up in the last years? :up:

Pump price - Rack price - taxes which includes the GST = equals what the station owner gets (which includes transportation cost from terminal to the station by the trucking company)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Until we can break our addiction to gasoline we're just going to be complaining about problems we helped create ...

Sure, we have help from all the media ads telling us we need a bigger car, we need to drive places etc etc ... but unless we actually take the time to think about finding new solutions we're just going to keep feed all the rich energy barons that we've already sold our souls to ...

Yeah, I'm glad that I have a diesel and look at $0.20/l less than regular unleaded ... but that's still $0.15/l more than I was paying back in July ... it just means that I'll take the time to suit up with more to ride my bike and leave the truck at home ...

This is how we pay for our choices ... do you live far away from the office/grocery/school? ... I paid more to live where I live but now I have a fixed mortgage and can walk to work in 15 minutes if it gets bad enough ...

The reality is that we've become beholden to the gas companies ... and venting won't get jack changed ...
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I'm not venting, simply suggesting that it would be nice if big oil were bound by the same rules of operation that all other businesses are.

The issue lies in the fact that governments benefit hugely from big oil, thus turn a blind eye to things they would otherwise address, were it a small business.

A case of "don't bite the hand that feeds you" so to speak.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
frieda

Post by frieda »

Not PC wrote:Funny, McTeague once said we get all of our gas from Alberta... These liars have more excuses, and the BS never stops.

But PC, that isn't very nice saying the poor old oil industry who make billions more in profit than any other industry in the world are full of BS and liars. Shame on you! Your liable to hurt their feelings and they may up the price another 20 cents a liter next week.
PS. Its just about comical they are looking into collusion with a couple of grocery chains on some food pricing. Of course theirs never any collusion in the gas industry. No need to investigate.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

So here's the answer, or not ha ha but its funny reading it

https://www.castanet.net/news/Its-All-A ... toryteller
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Im willing to bet that 90-95% of ya'll are still gonna pay for it!!
Sure do love Rutland!!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

phasyluck wrote:Im willing to bet that 90-95% of ya'll are still gonna pay for it!!

I will.
Bring back the LIKE button.
montyg

Post by montyg »

I come from the gallon era and remember when gas was .32 cents a gallon. The BC government attempted to raise the price by 5 cents and there was such an uproar that they had to back down. Then came metric and 2 cents a ltr didn't sound too bad, but if you multiply that figure by 4.5 ltrs, (the approximate quantity of gas in a gallon) then the price jumps to 9 cents a gal. Still doesn't sound too bad. Nobody does the math at only 2 cents a ltr. But when you take 1 ltr at 1.17,and mutiply it by 4.5, it equals $5.26 dollars a gal. Now go to the current price of $1.39 and do the same math. that equals $6.25 a gallon In one day the price went up virtually $1.00.

Today I filled up from empty and it cost me $150.00 @ 1.39 a ltr. Works out to approx 108 ltr. Yesterday I would have paid 126.36.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Precisely ^^

A great many people where I work will be hurting big time.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

I'm surprised they haven't started to sell by the milliliter since one and a half pennies per doesn't sound as bad.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.

Return to “Central Okanagan”