Crashes all over town

Crashes all over town

Postby kbjohnson » Nov 9th, 2017, 11:45 am

As snow appears more frequently in Kelowna drivers have to adapt quicker to the road conditions. I wish the City of Kelowna roads department would take this matter more seriously too. Maintenance of the city roads during the winter is a major priority that needs 24 hour per day monitoring. To have a news headline reporting so many crashes during the morning commute should be an embarrassment to the city. I wish the city would take this more seriously. We know that Kelowna has one of the highest number of vehicles per person rating in the country yet transportation managers seem to ignore that when weather makes it so important to do extra work on those kind of days. This is not a joke. The extra costs involved for damage and injuries in each accident that occurs is not always warranted because the city wants to maintain a budget or be praised for being under budget. The citizens do not really care. Seeing road crews working during bad weather conditions such as the snow falls this week are what gives the residents some feeling of confidence that the city is trying their best to deal with the sudden weather situations. There is really no excuse that can be provided by the city. It is better to try and prevent these weather related crashes by being prepared to act rather than waste time discussing how to deal them after the fact. Poor marks to the city on this .

Carrs Landing Viking likes this post.
kbjohnson

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Crashes all over town

Postby Fancy » Nov 9th, 2017, 12:01 pm

People should have had their snow tires on and drive to conditions which most aren't.

7 people like this post.
Fancy
The Pilgrim

Liked in: 4805 posts

Postby GordonH » Nov 9th, 2017, 12:05 pm

Part of the problem people try to save a buck by not switching to actual winter tires for winter conditions. As I mentioned in another thread they are slipping & sliding around, which would be funny if serious injury was not a possibility.

lightspeed likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5594 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby GrooveTunes » Nov 9th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Snow tires should be mandatory. Just as bad as distracted driving, probably worse for the amounts of accidents.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.

2 people like this post.
GrooveTunes
Übergod

Liked in: 368 posts

Postby Sparki55 » Nov 9th, 2017, 12:29 pm

GrooveTunes wrote:Snow tires should be mandatory. Just as bad as distracted driving, probably worse for the amounts of accidents.

I've never had a real set of snow tires, only all seasons with the snowflake. Never had any issues driving, no accidents.

ToppGunn likes this post.
Sparki55
Fledgling

Liked in: 160 posts

Postby gman313 » Nov 9th, 2017, 12:43 pm

Can't blame the city. They are doing fine and i'm sure all equipment is out.

if people drove to conditions there wouldn't be so many issues

4 people like this post.
gman313
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 879 posts

Postby LivinginKelowna » Nov 9th, 2017, 12:52 pm

I think that if a person is in a collision and doesn't have the required tires on their vehicle to meet the road conditions, then their insurance should be void

It is ridiculous that we still have people driving on summer tires in weather like this. They may be ok for 340 days of the year, and if that is what you want to use, then stay off the road for the balance.
LivinginKelowna
Board Meister

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby lightspeed » Nov 9th, 2017, 12:59 pm

Sparki55 wrote:
GrooveTunes wrote:Snow tires should be mandatory. Just as bad as distracted driving, probably worse for the amounts of accidents.

I've never had a real set of snow tires, only all seasons with the snowflake. Never had any issues driving, no accidents.

You're another accident waiting to happen. Not a matter of if...but when.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"
lightspeed
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1626 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Nov 9th, 2017, 1:01 pm

Sparki55 wrote:

Tires with a snowflake IS a winter tire.
Some all terrain tires have changed their composition to get a snowflake like BFG All Terrains etc.

That said , not all winter tires perform the same.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1389 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 9th, 2017, 1:06 pm

Sparki55 wrote:I've never had a real set of snow tires, only all seasons with the snowflake. Never had any issues driving, no accidents.

How many years have you been driving on that set of tires?
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 403 posts

Postby Sparki55 » Nov 9th, 2017, 1:07 pm

lightspeed wrote:You're another accident waiting to happen. Not a matter of if...but when.

I leave 3x more room in front of my truck than most, drive a 4x4, go very slow (lots of angry people in a hurry pass me) and don't use my phone.

I'm perfectly capable to drive like this an my whole intent is to save money, couldn't afford an accident so I drive very carefully.

Know your own capability and drive within it. Your smart comment about me having a 100% chance to get in an accident couldn't be more false. I've seen people who have full studded winters cause wrecks juat becasue they are terrible at driving.

3 people like this post.
Sparki55
Fledgling

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 9th, 2017, 1:09 pm

Badly worn winter tires are as useless as a dog on lino.
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby Catri » Nov 9th, 2017, 1:33 pm

If the tires have the mountain & snowflake symbol they are winter rated. I have a good set of hybrid tires (that are winter rated, but can be left on year round), but for 30-odd Kelowna winters prior to getting those I drove on all seasons without incident. The hybrids do perform noticeably better in winter than the all seasons, but ultimately Sparki is right, it's all about how you drive.

Sparki55 likes this post.
Catri
Übergod

Liked in: 847 posts

Postby Sparki55 » Nov 9th, 2017, 1:39 pm

alanjh595 wrote:
Sparki55 wrote:I've never had a real set of snow tires, only all seasons with the snowflake. Never had any issues driving, no accidents.

4 months, satisfied? :130:
Sparki55
Fledgling

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 9th, 2017, 2:06 pm

alanjh595 wrote:

Sparki55 wrote:4 months, satisfied? :130:

The highlighted in red text above tells me everything I need to know.
Not really, but good luck this year.

Bman likes this post.
alanjh595
Generalissimo Postalot

Next

Return to Central Okanagan