Crashes all over town

Sparki55
Guru

Re: Crashes all over town

Post by Sparki55 »

alanjh595 wrote:The highlighted in red text above tells me everything I need to know.
Not really, but good luck this year.

If your car isn't equipped with ABS you are way more likely to get in an accident than me with my snowflake rated all seasons and truck equipped with ABS. Even the best winter tires and no good if you jam on the brakes without an ABS to maintain your traction, you will slide.

Maybe we should make ABS a requirement instead of requiring everyone to have 2 sets of tires.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

ABS and electronic stability control are mandatory on all new cars sold in Canada, starting with the 2012 model year.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Sparki55 wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:The highlighted in red text above tells me everything I need to know.
Not really, but good luck this year.

If your car isn't equipped with ABS you are way more likely to get in an accident than me with my snowflake rated all seasons and truck equipped with ABS. Even the best winter tires and no good if you jam on the brakes without an ABS to maintain your traction, you will slide.

Maybe we should make ABS a requirement instead of requiring everyone to have 2 sets of tires.

not true at all assuming you know how to drive I would rather not have it and one of my vehicles doesn't and gets around just fine
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

instead of arguing abs slow down for the conditions and the vehicle, pretty simple

there is a correct way to brake in a vehicle with ABS and a correct way without. both are effective if you know how to drive
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

gman313 wrote:instead of arguing abs slow down for the conditions and the vehicle, pretty simple

there is a correct way to brake in a vehicle with ABS and a correct way without. both are effective if you know how to drive

I agree completely.... Traction control begins with SLOW DOWN when there's snow , ice or rain on the road ...

The best , most expensive snow tire marked with ANY "stamp" is still useless if the person using the accelerator treadle is a mindless fool and not driving for the current conditions.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Every year this is a topic and every year it's like the winter follies in and around town. I see lots of cars with their low profile summers and they have a heck of a time getting around but they are a persistant bunch and don't much care if they get stuck on a two degree incline and can't make it up to the intersection leaving a growing number of cars behind them to try and work around them so they can get to their destinations.

every year, there are those who try to defend their not buying snow tires by bellowing about how great they are behind the wheel and snow tires are unnecessary and every year, many of them wind up with tow bills and dents.

Anti lock brakes are dangerous. Traction control is for sissies. Snow tires are for losers. Rear wheel drive with sand bags; that's the ticket. Been drivin 125 years and never hit a cow.

HAysoos christoff people. Equip your car. Slow the frack down. Leave extra distance between you and those ahead and give yourself extra time.

It aint rocket science. It's winter.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

LTD wrote:not true at all assuming you know how to drive I would rather not have it and one of my vehicles doesn't and gets around just fine

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
There is no way you can brake faster without ABS, it offers a massive advantage, just like winter tires offer an advantage. I wont dive into coefficients of friction but ABS with M+S tires can stop faster than full on winters with no ABS.

Anyway, I agree with your post, drive for the conditions and what you vehicle can handle and you will be just fine. :biggrin:
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

i have good winter tires but the city of west kelowna plowed my road with a zamboni this morning and i just about didnt maker up the 8% grade hill to the lights
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I learned to drive before ABS was even available. Nor was AWD. Those that had 4 wheel drive had to get out of the cab of their truck and lock in the front hubs. All the cars then were rear wheel drive. I have never had a problem then or now. I still drive the same way and respect the weather conditions and following distances.
Bring back the LIKE button.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

voice of reason wrote:i have good winter tires but the city of west kelowna plowed my road with a zamboni this morning and i just about didnt maker up the 8% grade hill to the lights

Just wait til tomorrow morning ... We got dumped on by what I call Island snow .. It's wet and heavy and if it freezes tonight , do like I do and walk to work .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

I have a new 2500 Silverado long box extended cab with new snow tires and even with all its technology it is horrible in the snow until I add about 3-400 lbs in the bed. You really have to drive for the conditions :smt045
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

It doesn't look like it going to freeze hard tonight.
Capture.JPG
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Sparki55 wrote: I wont dive into coefficients of friction but ABS with M+S tires can stop faster than full on winters with no ABS.

Considering the coeffients of friction, I have to disagree with your statement.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

:130:
Bman wrote:
Sparki55 wrote: I wont dive into coefficients of friction but ABS with M+S tires can stop faster than full on winters with no ABS.

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Bman wrote:

Yep .... A computer controlled , steady impact ....

Return to “Central Okanagan”