No MLA

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: No MLA

Post by Dizzy1 »

Does Westbank have a MLA?

:laugh: :runforlife:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

In a few months we will have one again and if I'm not mistaken, it's going to be the same politician who felt so strongly about serving the people of Kelowna West that he handed over his seat when asked politely by his party leader to someone who didn't really seem to get involved or care about the local community at all. Is it too much to ask for a representative who places their duty to Kelowna West above their duty to their party?
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

maryjane48 wrote:If the shoe fits is the saying. My point stands when clark did it was what lets have a answer to that. No answer equals pot meets kettle :smt045

Ok , my little Cheeba Pet ... Help me out .

In Christies previous election win before this minority coalition to take power , they were MAJORITY wins by a LOT . Now . I can't say I remember any byelections , but if there was , the results of a "lost seat" to the liberal party just . wouldn't . affect . the balance of power in the LEGISLATURE .

So ..... deep breathe here . WHEN was the last time Christie Clark stalled on holding a byelection for a riding that could add ( or lose) an IMPORTANT seat AND vote for her in the LEGISLATURE ???

OK ??? WHEN did she do that ??

I can't answer to something that didn't happen .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

MAPearce wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:If the shoe fits is the saying. My point stands when clark did it was what lets have a answer to that. No answer equals pot meets kettle :smt045

Ok , my little Cheeba Pet ... Help me out .

In Christies previous election win before this minority coalition to take power , they were MAJORITY wins by a LOT . Now . I can't say I remember any byelections , but if there was , the results of a "lost seat" to the liberal party just . wouldn't . affect . the balance of power in the LEGISLATURE .

So ..... deep breathe here . WHEN was the last time Christie Clark stalled on holding a byelection for a riding that could add ( or lose) an IMPORTANT seat AND vote for her in the LEGISLATURE ???

OK ??? WHEN did she do that ??

I can't answer to something that didn't happen .

It was the last by-election the BC Liberals called which was the by-election of February 2016 to replace Douglas Horne who had resigned in August 2015. Each and every seat in an assembly carries equal value and weight. Each seat could take down or prop up a government. All parties delay the by-election unless there is a pressing reason, usually for their benefit, to call it early. I wish that the power to call by-elections was wielded by an non-political body whose interest was to ensure the smooth running of BC and that each and every voter is represented by and MLA as soon and as best as possible.

If one is angry at having no representative, certainly let the parties know, but honestly, it is hard to not blame it on the politician who abandoned us. It is especially galling when said politician had just fought an election, claiming to want to serve us, who then just decides to quit because she couldn't take not being in power. What a lack of backbone and character in general. At least Harper was able to stick it out being in opposition for 9 months.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

It was the last by-election the BC Liberals called which was the by-election of February 2016 to replace Douglas Horne who had resigned in August 2015. Each and every seat in an assembly carries equal value and weight. Each seat could take down or prop up a government.

Would , or DID the outcome of that mean so much to a sitting gov't as this one does now ??

All parties delay the by-election unless there is a pressing reason, usually for their benefit, to call it early. I wish that the power to call by-elections was wielded by an non-political body whose interest was to ensure the smooth running of BC and that each and every voter is represented by and MLA as soon and as best as possible.

And that in a nutshell is the strategy behind the timing of byelections.

If I remember correctly , The BC Liberals were ousted by an opposition coalition by just one seat. Of Course she won her seat but with the speaker of the house giving up his to become speaker , Liberals really need that seat back asap and the NDP don't want to let them have it ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

MAPearce wrote:
It was the last by-election the BC Liberals called which was the by-election of February 2016 to replace Douglas Horne who had resigned in August 2015. Each and every seat in an assembly carries equal value and weight. Each seat could take down or prop up a government.

Would , or DID the outcome of that mean so much to a sitting gov't as this one does now ??

All parties delay the by-election unless there is a pressing reason, usually for their benefit, to call it early. I wish that the power to call by-elections was wielded by an non-political body whose interest was to ensure the smooth running of BC and that each and every voter is represented by and MLA as soon and as best as possible.

And that in a nutshell is the strategy behind the timing of byelections.

If I remember correctly , The BC Liberals were ousted by an opposition coalition by just one seat.

Actually, there was less real risk to the Liberals to call that by-election early, and they still delayed it. Obviously, the greater the risk, the greater the impetus to delay. Why would a government call a by-election early when there is real risk to the stability of the BC government to do so? It just makes no sense. It is far easier to do the right thing when the risk or cost to oneself is tiny, and even still, in such low risk circumstances, the Liberals delayed doing so.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Actually, there was less real risk to the Liberals to call that by-election early, and they still delayed it. Obviously, the greater the risk, the greater the impetus to delay. Why would a government call a by-election early when there is real risk to the stability of the BC government to do so? It just makes no sense. It is far easier to do the right thing when the risk or cost to oneself is tiny, and even still, in such low risk circumstances, the Liberals delayed doing so.

There was less risk to the Liberals to delay the byelection , but they delayed ...Perhaps cost ?
But ...

Why would a government call a by-election early when there is real risk to the stability of the BC government to do so? It just makes no sense.

*removed*

horgan and Weaver like being in power ..
Last edited by ferri on Nov 20th, 2017, 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Baiting
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

MAPearce wrote:

There was less risk to the Liberals to delay the byelection , but they delayed ...Perhaps cost ?
But ...

Why would a government call a by-election early when there is real risk to the stability of the BC government to do so? It just makes no sense.

Might make no sense to you , but now The " Bong Queen" has her answer ???

Horgan and Weaver like being in power ..

Yes, politicians like being in power, it allows them to get the things they want done. Who would have thought it? Honestly, show me a politician who doesn't like being in power and I'll show you a masochist.
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

Old Techie wrote:Thought one liberal bashing thread would be enough, what gives?

See how things you say can come back and bite you. [icon_lol2.gif]

Don't you mean Conservative bashing? What "liberals" are you talking about? And I don't mean branding. ;)

Cheers,
Doug
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelo ... Feb-Horgan

Horgan said the date of the Kelowna West byelection will be announced in early January, followed by the mandated 28 days of campaigning.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Return to “Central Okanagan”