Peachland Bylaw Enforcement Officer

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Peachland Bylaw Enforcement Officer

Post by Treblehook »

Story in the news today about the Peachland Bylaw Enforcement Officer quitting prior to the end of his contract. Apparently he was being subjected to a barrage of insults, verbal abuse and even threats. The news story suggests that the harassment of the officer was primarily coming from the dog owners in the community. Pretty disgusting behavior no matter which way you look at it. If the local dog owners were in disagreement with the dog bylaws, they ought to have expressed their disagreement in an adult and civilized manner; writing their opinions to the Mayor and Council comes to mind. If they thought the Bylaw Enforcement Officer was acting inappropriately or being unnecessarily heavy handed in his approach to his duties, they coulld have lodged a complaint with the Mayor and Council. My observations of dog owners and their pets in Kelowna, West Kelowna and Peachland are that more enforcement is needed, rather than less. Owners who insist on letting their dogs run off leash in areas designated as on leash only is an ongoing problem, as are the ignorant people who don't pick up after their pets. I would say "Good Luck" to the Peachland Mayor in respect to adopting a softer approach of encouraging dog owners to act responsibly. When the Peachland waterfront and shoreline are littered in dog feces, not many people will want to come there anymore.
lightspeed
Guru

Re: Peachland Bylaw Enforcement Officer

Post by lightspeed »

Treblehook wrote:Story in the news today about the Peachland Bylaw Enforcement Officer quitting prior to the end of his contract. Apparently he was being subjected to a barrage of insults, verbal abuse and even threats. The news story suggests that the harassment of the officer was primarily coming from the dog owners in the community. Pretty disgusting behavior no matter which way you look at it. If the local dog owners were in disagreement with the dog bylaws, they ought to have expressed their disagreement in an adult and civilized manner; writing their opinions to the Mayor and Council comes to mind. If they thought the Bylaw Enforcement Officer was acting inappropriately or being unnecessarily heavy handed in his approach to his duties, they coulld have lodged a complaint with the Mayor and Council. My observations of dog owners and their pets in Kelowna, West Kelowna and Peachland are that more enforcement is needed, rather than less. Owners who insist on letting their dogs run off leash in areas designated as on leash only is an ongoing problem, as are the ignorant people who don't pick up after their pets. I would say "Good Luck" to the Peachland Mayor in respect to adopting a softer approach of encouraging dog owners to act responsibly. When the Peachland waterfront and shoreline are littered in dog feces, not many people will want to come there anymore.

The public are generally disgusting creatures, and no doubt this public servant had a gut full of dealing with the vile disagreeable confrontational and entitled portion of society.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Don't get me started on the abuse a by-law officer has to deal with. Good on the guy quitting. Most councils don't back up by-law to much extent.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

or perhaps like most bylaws clowns this one acted like he was god and had a bad attitude these guys tend to think theyre cops when in reality theyre nothing more than a security guard
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

We do, I mean used to spend a lot of time I'm PL. this summer we were having lunch in the green space between the playground and lake at a picnic table. We chose this location because we have 2 dogs (med size) and when at this table they were literally 1-2 feet off the walking path. This particular bylaw officer came up and was very aggressive about the dogs being on the grass. I said we were just about done and would be leaving....not good enough....he got more aggressive and told us to vacate immediately. When we started walking to my parked vehicle he again chased us down because we were on the grass (would have been about 20 seconds worth) to get to my truck. At this point I was done...he did get a verbal blast from me. i have witnessed him being over the top on more than a few occasions. I have the utmost respect for law enforcement but I say good riddance. Interesting to see that they are now going to be more relaxed in their enforcement.....
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

LTD wrote:or perhaps like most bylaws clowns this one acted like he was god and had a bad attitude these guys tend to think theyre cops when in reality theyre nothing more than a security guard

I could be the ultimate By Law Guy .... I could teach people how to read those signs that say "You can't park here now" or "Pick up your dogs *bleep*" or " Don't smoke here" ....

Problem is people don't want to pay attention AND they don't because some bylaw cops would rather cruise around listening to the country station than do their jobs ..

Looks to me that Peachland lost an enforcement officer that did his job compared to that dumbassed dork that didn't to his when I lived next to KGH ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

exactly my point give some people some power and the attitude comes out
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

That guy should never have had a job like that. His ignorance was only exceeded by his stupidity. He chased an 80 year old woman off a bench by the beach, she had stopped for a rest and had her little dustmop type dog on leash with her. The hero ordered her to leave as the dog was not allowed on the beach. The bench is about 2 feet from the walkway. But when you get to pick on a little old lady it's pretty safe.
This goof went out of his way to annoy people and the only tiny bit of personality he had was annoying.
Over the years I have had dealings with cops, bylaw, C/Os and various security staff as part of my job, I have never met such a *bleep*. Good riddance,
Black Dogs Matter
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

vegas1500 wrote:We do, I mean used to spend a lot of time I'm PL. this summer we were having lunch in the green space between the playground and lake at a picnic table. We chose this location because we have 2 dogs (med size) and when at this table they were literally 1-2 feet off the walking path. This particular bylaw officer came up and was very aggressive about the dogs being on the grass. I said we were just about done and would be leaving....not good enough....he got more aggressive and told us to vacate immediately. When we started walking to my parked vehicle he again chased us down because we were on the grass (would have been about 20 seconds worth) to get to my truck. At this point I was done...he did get a verbal blast from me. i have witnessed him being over the top on more than a few occasions. I have the utmost respect for law enforcement but I say good riddance. Interesting to see that they are now going to be more relaxed in their enforcement.....

There are signs a plenty telling people "no dogs" yet they ignore the signs then get verbal with the bylaw officer who is trying to do his job. Problem was that the previous bylaw guy spent most of his time reminding people of the signs and i think the public and the admin in Peachland thought more should be done and fines issued where people were deliberately ignoring the warnings, along comes a guy who tried to get tough and it backfired.
This last summer there was no visible signs of any bylaw enforcement at all and there were many people with dogs both on the beach and on the grassy areas. Now its going to be a free for all with relaxed rules.

Time dog owners learned to read and obey signage, after all the dog cannot!
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

dodgerdodge wrote:
vegas1500 wrote:We do, I mean used to spend a lot of time I'm PL. this summer we were having lunch in the green space between the playground and lake at a picnic table. We chose this location because we have 2 dogs (med size) and when at this table they were literally 1-2 feet off the walking path. This particular bylaw officer came up and was very aggressive about the dogs being on the grass. I said we were just about done and would be leaving....not good enough....he got more aggressive and told us to vacate immediately. When we started walking to my parked vehicle he again chased us down because we were on the grass (would have been about 20 seconds worth) to get to my truck. At this point I was done...he did get a verbal blast from me. i have witnessed him being over the top on more than a few occasions. I have the utmost respect for law enforcement but I say good riddance. Interesting to see that they are now going to be more relaxed in their enforcement.....

There are signs a plenty telling people "no dogs" yet they ignore the signs then get verbal with the bylaw officer who is trying to do his job. Problem was that the previous bylaw guy spent most of his time reminding people of the signs and i think the public and the admin in Peachland thought more should be done and fines issued where people were deliberately ignoring the warnings, along comes a guy who tried to get tough and it backfired.
This last summer there was no visible signs of any bylaw enforcement at all and there were many people with dogs both on the beach and on the grassy areas. Now its going to be a free for all with relaxed rules.

Time dog owners learned to read and obey signage, after all the dog cannot!

There has to be some flexibility when you rely on tourism. When a dog is sitting 2 feet off the path, and he comes unglued about it, sorry but that's being a complete :cuss: :cuss:

And people get the respect they give....he gave none, he got none......PL will be better off without this :cuss:
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I have heard stories about what a dick this guy was...
from parking, to dogs, to noise, what have you.

Common denominator, these people were all bending and/or breaking the laws,
good or bad.

Many excuses...blah, blah, blah...

Whatever..
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

vegas1500 wrote:
There has to be some flexibility when you rely on tourism. When a dog is sitting 2 feet off the path, and he comes unglued about it, sorry but that's being a complete :cuss: :cuss:

And people get the respect they give....he gave none, he got none......PL will be better off without this :cuss:

It's not the tourists i have witnessed but local people who live there and feel it is their right to let their dog run into the water.
The guy who lives opposite the grassy area next to the creek lets his dog on the grass/beach regularly and throws sticks so he can swim. Now it seems a harmless enough past time but he is obviously well aware it is a "no dog" area yet continues to flout the bylaw on a regular basis.
Clearly no excuse for the bylaw guy to go off his rocker but some people just will not be told.
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

vegas1500 wrote:There has to be some flexibility when you rely on tourism. When a dog is sitting 2 feet off the path, and he comes unglued about it, sorry but that's being a complete

And people get the respect they give....he gave none, he got none......PL will be better off without this

Have to wonder how many times he's heard the story "Oh, I'll only be a minute." only to realize he's being played. Sounds like he had his fill and decided that since there is a line - written in black and white and very plain language - that he would observe this line. Too bad for those members of the general public that don't and than get called on it.

Further, it looks like he was given back the exact amount of respect he was shown. See LTD's comment about "little more than security guard".
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

you get what you give there bud if you feel theyre scholars good for you if they choose to have a shittitude guess how they will be perceived by the public you get what you give. I once had a cop give me a ticket and he was so good I found myself almost thanking him that's pretty good its all about your attitude.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Some people even with a little of power or just perceived power go way overboard.

I once parked at the airport right by the entrance where you're allowed to stop, and run into to get my wife who was waiting for me. She didn't come out because bags were heavy, so maybe for 1 minute the car was unattended and then we came back, loaded everything up, and that's when some security guy just had to come out and get into *bleep* match with me how I'm not supposed to park there.

And first I was apologetic and explained to him what's happening and was genuinely nice to him. But it only fueled his anger and he went on the rant how nobody follows the rules in this town and "people like me" are the worst. So at this point, I flat out told him to go F himself. Don't need any lecturing from somebody in uniform who thinks he's Batman of parking enforcement.

Return to “Central Okanagan”