What comes to mind when you hear the name Kelowna?

KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

What comes to mind when you hear the name Kelowna?

Post by KelownaCrackinCrew »

When I hear the name Kelowna (I live in Kelowna), I think about strip malls, dollar stores, and home of the newly wed, and nearly dead. Fake it till you make it city.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: What comes to mind when you hear the name Kelowna?

Post by Jflem1983 »

Fake boobs. Steroids. Gangsters. Beautiful city. Many good people here. I think of a backwards progressive council . I think of realtors and landscapers.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

When I think of (*insert place name*), I know I think of whatever derogatory stereotype comes to mind to post nonsense topics to a regionally based Internet forum, in an attempt to make myself sound cool.
Fledgling

Post by 7600736 »

Crime, and lots of it. Rampant homeless/criminal types and open drug use/dealing downtown, terrible drivers and traffic congestion. Long, grey, depressing winters and short, smoky summers. Annoying, arrogant people with major attitude. Very expensive cost of living. Good airport, with many daily flights, which makes getting the hell out of here whenever possible quick and easy.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I think about what a truly wonderful place Kelowna (including West Kelowna) is and how so many who live here don't fully appreciate it. The natural beauty, the people, the amenities, the public education system, the independent school options, the outstanding array of services at KGH for those who need them, Okanagan College, and UBCO are all things to be proud of. That's what comes to mind when I hear the name Kelowna.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I think of home - I've lived here more than half my life now. I think of friends and family. I think of the variety of cultures and subcultures that find their own corners - like Munnin's Pub, and KF/X. I think of the little gems like Latin Fiesta and Dosa Cafe, Tripke's and the Wok-Inn. I think of our communities and how they intermingle. I think of the orchards and fruit stands, deer down by Rotary Park and on Knox. The lake in a storm or the sun glinting off of it. The mountains in sun or snow, or both.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

7600736 wrote:Crime, and lots of it. Rampant homeless/criminal types and open drug use/dealing downtown, terrible drivers and traffic congestion. Long, grey, depressing winters and short, smoky summers. Annoying, arrogant people with major attitude. Very expensive cost of living. Good airport, with many daily flights, which makes getting the hell out of here whenever possible quick and easy.

If you think Kelowna is such a crappy place you are more than welcome to leave and move somewhere else. Life is to short to spend time living somewhere you don't like.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

I think of hot summers, beautiful lakes and views. I also think quading and side by sideing Alon with hunting. How ever I also think crime, drug dealing, arrogant neighbors.

Every place has there good and bad and it is what you make it. If you let the bad take over then of course you'll hate where you live.

I try to be a glass half full person and make the best of what I have. Life is to short to stress out about every little negative thing. Live laugh and love !!!
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Beautiful city, hot summers, wine country, golf, beaches, and bikinis. A mini Vancouver in the making (unfortunately our little secret is being discovered).

I don't think I'd rather live anywhere else in Canada.

I also second Latin Fiesta, nice little getaway to Mexico located right in the middle of town. The little Vietnamese restaurant by Costco, the Thai and Pizza places on Bernard, and the seafood place on Water Street.

Add Knox Mountain, because OMG why not? :130:
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Watching the sunset and city lights from Knox mountain among the yellow hillside flowers on a warm May evening.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

How grateful I am to be living in Penticton :biggrin: .
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

southy wrote:How grateful I am to be living in Penticton :biggrin: .

You should be - that used bookstore downtown is simply amazing :130:
I haven't failed until I quit.
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

When I hear kelowna i think, "Lets go sit in traffic for an hour!" Its so exciting going into kelowna.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I think it’s a beautiful place and I encounter people from around the world who agree. What comes to mind is a city that has changed from it’s old agricultural roots to what it is now, in the best way it know how to make such a progression. I think of a population that is chiefly made up of people who love it here, combined with a subgroup of people who hate it here but, puzzlingly, can’t find the testicular fortitude to get their sorry buttocks off the couch to leave.....so they just complain.
I have lived here my entire life and have the good fortune of generational history here to personally know how the changes occurred and what it was like before my lifetime.
When the complainers find their perfect place, I would love to know about it as it would be easy to rip it to shreds also. :biggrin:

The glass-half-empty people live their life not realizing that water is free here.....just go to the tap and fill it up. It makes life better. Especially for questions like this.

And I second the comments on Dosa and Latin Fiesta. Dosa is so amazing and so different than the Indian food we normally get here. Ask for it super hot.....they put the hot sauce in the dosa when it is cooking (rather than the inside ingredients) so it is a light red colour.....mmmmmm.
You and 71 others Like this post
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Surrey by the lake.

I love eating at Latin fiesta.
As much as Surrey by the lake is saturated with restaurants it would be cool to have more like that little gem.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Central Okanagan”