Time for Alternative Transportation

Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Time for Alternative Transportation

Post by Dizzy1 »

dirtguy wrote:No, its really not

Yeah, really it is
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

We need a skytrain system from West Kelowna to Downtown, UBCO and the airport. With several major stops to move people around.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

That's too far in the future to even contemplate right now.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

casey60 wrote:We need a skytrain system from West Kelowna to Downtown, UBCO and the airport. With several major stops to move people around.

MonoRail!
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Fancy wrote:
AlienSoldier wrote:Also, I agree with tolling the highway. People living in the west bank are paying taxes to the base there while people are paying taxes in Kelowna. This causes an imbalance, either both sides need to agree to work together and combine funds, or maybe tax towards the imbalance.

west bank is in another part of the world. A good portion of West Kelowna residents work and shop in Kelowna supporting both cities.

I understand that but land taxes, property taxes and such are not transferred.

Also, those same issues with Uber exist with taxi companies now. If not Uber then Lyft, or Waymo, or a multitude of others.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Monorail has been on the radar for years.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13800&hilit=monorail
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

AlienSoldier wrote:I understand that but land taxes, property taxes and such are not transferred.

Residents have been moving back and forth and settling on a place that has since become a city shouldn't be penalized.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

casey60 wrote:We need a skytrain system from West Kelowna to Downtown, UBCO and the airport. With several major stops to move people around.

Latest 11km stretch of Skytrain (Evergreen line) cost 1.4+ billion.
I can't imagine the total cost from Main st West Kelowna to the airport (roughly 30km) + a bridge, ouch.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

GordonH wrote:

Latest 11km stretch of Skytrain (Evergreen line) cost 1.4+ billion.
I can't imagine the total cost from Main st West Kelowna to the airport (roughly 30km) + a bridge, ouch.

Large portions of that cost are due to building after the transit is already required. If you are proactive it decreases the cost. You can also start small by having a loop between downtown and the airport with multiple stops in-between.

Also, the costs are the price of a growing city and doing business. Agreements between all 3 levels of government are common for these projects and can lead to some great outcomes for all those involved and the health of the Citizens.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

*bump

Has anyone used Uber?
Fledgling

Post by 7600736 »

We had that opportunity when the rail line from downtown to Vernon was abandoned. Instead, the city chose to rip up the rails and create a walking/cycling path which is only usable for 6 or 7 months of the year. What a wasted opportunity. Typical Kelowna stupidity.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Fancy wrote:*bump

Has anyone used Uber?

yup used it in LA and can say its fantastic i was a little sceptical at first but after using it steady for 2 weeks i will never get in a stinky overpriced thieving taxi again its quick convenient and very reasonably priced that's why cab companies are fighting so hard to stop it coming here. No money exchanges hands you know how much it costs before they even show up cars are all newer clean and drivers are friendly you rate your driver after your ride if you wish so good ratings keep them busy all in all it cant come soon enough, this city really needs a break from being bent over by cab companies :up:
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

I used it yesterday from a downtown bar in Toronto. It was perfect, I clicked a button, saw the car coming, how long it would take, who the driver was, the car make, model and plate number and the drivers rating. I was offered water, gum and even cookies. The car was new, clean and the driver said he does this to increase his rating.

The directions and cost to my hotel showed up on my phone before he even got to me, I had the option to share a ride to reduce my cost through the app and knew exactly the route he was going to take.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

yup used it in LA and can say its fantastic i was a little sceptical at first but after using it steady for 2 weeks i will never get in a stinky overpriced thieving taxi again its quick convenient and very reasonably priced that's why cab companies are fighting so hard to stop it coming here. No money exchanges hands you know how much it costs before they even show up cars are all newer clean and drivers are friendly you rate your driver after your ride if you wish so good ratings keep them busy all in all it cant come soon enough, this city really needs a break from being bent over by cab companies :up:

I too have used the Uber service many times and have always been satisfied.
The only reason the cab companies are "fighting so hard to stop" Uber and are considered "overpriced / thieveing and bending over" their customers is because the cab owners have been forced to pay ridiculous six figure sums simply in order to operate and justifiably need to recoup those ridiculous amounts if they want to make a living. If it was a level playing surface and Uber drivers were forced to pay over $100k for a licenses to operate their rates would be similar to what cabs are charging so they too would be viewed with the same distaste by some as cabs are.
If the authorities in charge want it to be a level playing field then they either need to be charging Uber drivers the same ridiculously high licensing fees to operate or refunding the fees the current cabbies have paid.
PDT
Fledgling

Post by PDT »

I was in Nashville a year ago. Went from my hotel to downtown without using my rental car a couple of times, once with a cab and once with Uber. While the costs were really close, the cab was actually $2 cheaper. Both drivers were decent.

As for a true level playing field, besides the licensing fees issue, Uber should also be charging much more for their rides because they're losing hundreds of millions of dollars every month. It's easy to "disrupt" an industry when you're spending billions more than you're making each year.

Return to “Central Okanagan”