Trapped on Slide

Mama
Lord of the Board

Re: Trapped on Slide

Post by Mama »

Typical. There were how many kids on that slide? And how many parents? But sure, blame the company.
Then next year, be upset that there is no place to take your kids to play on a crappy cold day, because places like these either have too charge more to cover insurance costs or cant take the pressure to be 100% perfect, or heaven forbid, not make sure they gather everyone together and make an apology. ( which some asshat will use against them I am sure) All that will take much more than min wage employees.
Instead of focusing on the Mom that didnt get a sorry ( good grief ) Lets focus on the quick thinking Dad!
But oh wait! Grab your popcorn people, here comes the " What was he doing at a play area with a knife" crowd.
Good for you Dad, whoever you are. Real parents, getting kids out of jams in the strangest places. Oh the stories of Child rearing near misses we love to tell our kids, many years and several heart attacks later. :130:
MY GREATEST FEAR IS, THERE IS NO PMS, AND THIS IS MY REAL PERSONALITY.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Mama wrote:Typical. There were how many kids on that slide? And how many parents? But sure, blame the company.
Then next year, be upset that there is no place to take your kids to play on a crappy cold day, because places like these either have too charge more to cover insurance costs or cant take the pressure to be 100% perfect, or heaven forbid, not make sure they gather everyone together and make an apology....

Don't believe parents were allowed on the slides so why would you put blame on the parents? Places like these come and go anyway. I'm surprised at some of the reactions to a parent that has a child that was frightened badly enough to have nightmares and a simple sorry does go a long way.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Mama wrote:Typical. There were how many kids on that slide? ... But sure, blame the company.

Actually, it would be the company and staff that should be responsible for the number of kids using the slide.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

When I was a kid: "Man, we had a blast on that slide! Even managed to jam the exit with a ball! Hahaha!"

Now: "OMG, call the media, snowflakes lose their minds over slide incident! Someone must PAY for this!"
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Rwede wrote:When I was a kid: "Man, we had a blast on that slide! Even managed to jam the exit with a ball! Hahaha!"

Now: "OMG, call the media, snowflakes lose their minds over slide incident! Someone must PAY for this!"

I recall a few incidents that have been pretty scary with kids - crushing from crowds. I suppose unless one has actually been in a moment like this, it's easy to ridicule it. I don't know anyone that had a moment at 5 they are still talking about. I wouldn't assume it was the mother interviewed that made the call to the media either.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Fancy wrote:
lightspeed wrote:Unecessary drama.

When a child has nightmares three nights running, I wouldn't exactly call it "Unecessary drama". If a child has trouble breathing because their face is pushed into a partially deflated ball, I wouldn't exactly call it "Unecessary drama" either.

If a kid has nightmares from this? Are you serious? So what? They’ll get over it - if not they’re gonna have a serious problem in life.

Unnecessary drama fueled by the bubble wrap mafia.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Mama
Lord of the Board

Post by Mama »

A simple sorry isnt going to take away a nightmare. And of course the parents are not on the slide, seriously?
“This should have been handled differently, by staff gathering everyone involved and just saying sorry to see if anyone needed help."
Ya, a sorry would have been nice. And if it was my company I would have done so. But please, if someone "needed help" dont you think that if you have kids, and are able to get them to a play area, that you should be able to walk yourself over to someone and say, " I need help". If you need your hand held through every little scary potentially dangerous moment....
How big of a thank you did she give the guy that saved the kids? I dont see her saying anything about his actions, just her little " I didnt get a sorry"
This is quite possibly not on the Mom but on the reporting, just looking for something to whine about. But if it was me, I would have been talking about the guy that got my kid out of there, not a word about what I didnt get.
MY GREATEST FEAR IS, THERE IS NO PMS, AND THIS IS MY REAL PERSONALITY.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Fancy wrote:Don't believe parents were allowed on the slides so why would you put blame on the parents? Places like these come and go anyway. I'm surprised at some of the reactions to a parent that has a child that was frightened badly enough to have nightmares and a simple sorry does go a long way.

No, an apology does not go a long way. Would the kid still be having nightmares? I find it hard to believe an apology wasn't offered anyhow. If it was though, I'd assume the angry parent wouldn't accept it because they hadn't let their anger run its course.

Onto the issue.
I read the article and wrote off the parents as a whiner. Like mentioned already, if this parent was concerned about her childs safety inside Jump to it, then she would have been up watching her kid play. But I'm willing to bet she was sitting at one of the tables ignoring her child. This is an all too common practice of pay $5 to not be responsible for your kids for a few hours syndrome. Happens all the time.

I take my kids to Jump to it. My son is old enough to be the kid taking the ball on the slide. I keep an eye on him. My daughter is young enough to get hurt, so I follow her around the place. When she's jumping, I'm the guy standing just outside the castle watching her and talking to her. If she goes up a slide or out of my sight, I use the rest of my senses (not taste) to stay tuned to what she's doing. I've climbed those castles to get her before and will do it again. If she ever got hurt there, I'd be talking to her and reassessing whether that facility is right for her. I would not be going to the media to try and smear the company for not saying sorry. It's not their fault some kid did something he/she wasn't supposed to do and let to another kid not getting seriously hurt. Besides, there is a waiver that all parents must complete before their kid can play. Anyone read what it says? I know I didn't, but then, I wouldn't be blaming the facility if my kid got hurt there.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Mama wrote:....This is quite possibly not on the Mom but on the reporting, ....

But ragging on what the mom has said (and I'm pretty sure there was a lot more not reported on) certainly doesn't seem fair to me. She probably was shook up too. Too many assumptions about what wasn't said or how it was said.
Calculator

Post by Calculator »

This is ranking as one of the stupidest stories I've ever seen on Castanet.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

youjustcomplain wrote:I find it hard to believe an apology wasn't offered anyhow.

I would think the staff did apologize. I'm thinking this mom was a little distraught and wasn't there when it was offered or just didn't hear it during the kerfuffle.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Calculator wrote:This is ranking as one of the stupidest stories I've ever seen on Castanet.

Think about it. It's not stupid when someone can learn from it.
picklebunker

Post by picklebunker »

It seems as if there is popular opinion here. Parents should be accountable for their children, even when at a facility like this. Modern parenting seems to have forgotten that learning through mistakes is how someone grows. That is applicable to the facility as well. I'm sure there are now current practices in place to double-check the inflation and location of the balls.

My kids fell countless times in many different business and not once did I blame the facility for my lack of observation. My kids had nightmares for a month after watching Ace Ventura, Pet Detective. ACE FREAKING VENTURA.

I find this somewhat irresponsible on the part of Castanet (sorry guys, love you) as this news story does not inform as to a relevant event, but only harms the reputation of a local business. I feel for the Jump 2 It ownership as they do their best to provide a safe and enjoyable place for parents to drop their kids off to (and an opportunity for the parents to ignore them, let's be honest) and they are getting unwarranted bad press. Unless these parents have every electrical outlet in their house protected, every sharp corner filed down, every fork with a cork on it, and a healthy amount of bubble wrap on the toilet bowl, they are just throwing stones.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

picklebunker wrote:My kids fell countless times in many different business

So did mine but at no time were another half a dozen kids stuck on top of them with no room for anyone to move and someone's face jammed into a plastic ball having trouble breathing.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Dizzy1 wrote:If a kid has nightmares from this? Are you serious? So what? They’ll get over it - if not they’re gonna have a serious problem in life.

Unnecessary drama fueled by the bubble wrap mafia.

I didn't say "if". The child has had the nightmares. I'm repeating a story so why the "are you serious?" remark. And again, the so what makes zero sense to me. I'm sure it's emotional for the parent and child in this moment but I would think they'll get over it. I don't know of any parent that hasn't had a scary moment (and all have gotten over it). Seeing a child having trouble breathing is scary.

Return to “Central Okanagan”