Capri Master Plan

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Capri Master Plan

Post by GordonH »

Fancy wrote:I can imagine it being brutal.

Specifically if all 10 high rises are built & full, of course by that time I should be a retired person.
This project will not happen overnight, way things are I'd be surprised to see anything before 2023.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Evan
Board Meister

Post by Evan »

Even Steven wrote:
Verum wrote:While I appreciate some people like Vancouver's architecture, I don't really think that Vancouver is particularly attractive.

Ok. Can you point me towards a typical residential tower that is beautiful in your eyes?

Not VPL or Science World, these are one-off commercial projects, I'm talking about a typical residential tower where people live. I've never walked anywhere and said "Oh my, this is a beautiful condo building". There are some, like Trump tower in Vancouver, but all of them are sold at the premium to a premium crowd. If they were to spend the extra money on beautiful architecture and custom-made design the price would definitely sky rocket and they wouldn't be able to sell it to the general public (and general public would moan and groan about overpriced condos).

Same reason you see so many cookie-cutter houses and not a whole lot of custom-made ones. The latter cost a lot more money, far from everybody can afford it. And if developer was to sell their custom-designed houses at cookie-cutter prices they'd just go out of business, margins would get eaten up by customization.

As a former Kelowna resident who has lived on the west coast now for 6+ years, let me chime in on beautiful Vancouver towers.

To start, I have debated on these forums since I think I was 16 or 17 (9-10 years ago) about the need for Kelowna to group up, densify, and build up not out.

But on your question of beautiful, inspiring, or interesting Vancouver residential towers, here are some of my favourites:

I love the look of the Woodwards Building:

This building is currently under construction, but a unique and fascinating design:

This graphic shows you a bunch of designs on their way to Vancouver, including the above one:

And this image showcases the stunning Vancouver skyline that puts Kelowna to shame:

To be inspired.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

No one needs a "stunning skyline" like that to compete with Vancouver. That's why people to to Vancouver and come back thanking God they can visit but don't have to live with a concrete jungle.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Evan wrote:But on your question of beautiful, inspiring, or interesting Vancouver residential towers, here are some of my favourites

Evan, thank you for constructive discussion.

Woodwards building is ok. It's not beautiful by my standards, and to me it looks rather bland. Really nothing special.

The designs of other buildings are quite beautiful but my guess is that most of them are office buildings and once again not residential towers we're discussing. Except for the first one, this looks like a residential tower right next to GM place (if I'm not mistaken).

But as far as the skyline - I love the skyline, it's truly beautiful. But here's the kicker - the residential towers at the end of Davie St., Pacific Blvd., and by Granville Bridge (in other words the buildings you can see in the foreground) are all boring and bland looking highrises NOT that different from the ones we're arguing about - in fact I've posted a picture of them at day time earlier and their designs are nothign special.

Just goes to show you that you don't need extra beautiful residential buildings. Thank you for proving my point :)

Return to “Central Okanagan”