Re: Library adds security

Post by bjsilent »

I still say that the KGM needs to relocate
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

bjsilent wrote:I still say that the KGM needs to relocate

U know what. Calgary has a big facility for the homeless. Last time i drove by it. It was clean.
I have never in 25 years been able to see leon ave free from puke and blankets.

The guy i know who runs a business on leon. He went and asked why the people who use the mission do not hang out in front of the mission. He was told by staff that the gospel mission tells their clients not to loiter out front of the mission. So instead they gather in front of other businesses.

This is very hard on any business relying on foot traffic to keep the doprs open .

I am not sure why the mission cant put on a better face. Clean up the mess. Keep the riff raff out.
This organization has helped countless thousands .
I dont want to throw them under the bus.

Leon ave needs to be cleaned up however.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

That argument has been on the forums for years and years. The crux is always the same, as long as it isn't in such and such neighbourhood. NIMBY.

And if you want 15 pages of that, it's whole thread waiting to happen.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

Jflem1983 wrote:
bjsilent wrote:I still say that the KGM needs to relocate

U know what. Calgary has a big facility for the homeless. Last time i drove by it. It was clean.
I have never in 25 years been able to see leon ave free from puke and blankets.

The guy i know who runs a business on leon. He went and asked why the people who use the mission do not hang out in front of the mission. He was told by staff that the gospel mission tells their clients not to loiter out front of the mission. So instead they gather in front of other businesses.

This is very hard on any business relying on foot traffic to keep the doprs open .

I am not sure why the mission cant put on a better face. Clean up the mess. Keep the riff raff out.
This organization has helped countless thousands .
I dont want to throw them under the bus.

Leon ave needs to be cleaned up however.

Drove by there the other day and outside Level Nightclub there was about 20 of them loitering around with shopping carts full of stuff and across the street was even worse.Reminded me of Main and Hastings
sillykitty

Post by sillykitty »

I think it would be poetic justice when the new Kelowna tourism visitor centre gets built. All the homeless can go hand out in and around that building! What a great place it will be for traveling vagrants and locals alike.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yes, I can't wait for tourists to drive in, not find parking for blocks and encounter Kelowna's all day "welcoming committee" asking for handouts. That building our tax dollars built will be sold to West corp - quick. I give it under three years.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

Queen K wrote:Yes, I can't wait for tourists to drive in, not find parking for blocks and encounter Kelowna's all day "welcoming committee" asking for handouts. That building our tax dollars built will be sold to West corp - quick. I give it under three years.

I agree with you QueenK,the new tourism building will look lovely with graffiti all over it and all the homeless concierge's to welcome the tourists to our fine city.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

I see you're still painting at homeless people with the same brush.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Freerights, please head down there and start sorting according to the brushes. I'm talking about the ones we know are doing what we all dread every single time we go down there, begging for money and cigs and leaving needles and garbage everywhere. I've seen it and don't assume everyone of them do it, just the ones I've encountered.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

FreeRights wrote:I see you're still painting at homeless people with the same brush.

To some degree yes,wonder how the employee's are going to react showing up for work each morning with a bevy of homeless people camped out in the alcove and around the building and having to pick up discarded needles,condoms and garbage.Oh lets not forget that they may have to clean up excrement and hose the urine off !!!!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It's not like there's a second tourist center to send people to, unlike the library.

Bjsilent has a good point.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Silent - where do you think the homeless should go? Serious Q. When most services for street people are centrally located that's where they going to hang out. More this time of year as other Provinces get winter. I'm so ticked about the new tourist centre I hope the " bevy" does hang round there.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

normaM wrote:Silent - where do you think the homeless should go? Serious Q. When most services for street people are centrally located that's where they going to hang out. More this time of year as other Provinces get winter. I'm so ticked about the new tourist centre I hope the " bevy" does hang round there.

Excellent question normaM,i have no idea where they should go.I along with many others would like to see the KGM removed from the downtown core.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Classic chicken/egg dilemma ... the people that need the resources go to where the resources are ... the resources go to where the people are ...

Same issue we've had with the red zones banning people from getting the support they need since the agencies are within the red zone ...

Provide better services and word-of-mouth will bring more people ... KGM is a perfect example of oversubscribing ... the overflow is right outside the doors ...

What we're doing isn't a solution, it's a band-aid ... time to rip off the band-aid quickly and slather on a whole heck of a lot of cure-all ... think outside the box and find a tincture that has real curative properties ...
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

spooker wrote:Classic chicken/egg dilemma ... the people that need the resources go to where the resources are ... the resources go to where the people are ...

Same issue we've had with the red zones banning people from getting the support they need since the agencies are within the red zone ...

Provide better services and word-of-mouth will bring more people ... KGM is a perfect example of oversubscribing ... the overflow is right outside the doors ...

What we're doing isn't a solution, it's a band-aid ... time to rip off the band-aid quickly and slather on a whole heck of a lot of cure-all ... think outside the box and find a tincture that has real curative properties ...

To deal with the homeless issue . One needs to fix the jobs issue. To fix the jobs issue wages and room for advancement locally need to drastically improve.
After that changes a lot of people will suddenly not need help. The ones left behind so to speak. These are the harder cases. This is when mental health and addiction services need to be able to grab people from the gutter and bring them to a better place .
Providing food is a nice gesture. Unfortunately it really does nothing but lead to dependence.

I do not have many answers. Im not too bright. I am pretty sure if these guys. They are all guys. Had jobs. That paid enuff to live. They wouldnt be on the street. Need to tackle the pay issue
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

Return to “Central Okanagan”