Sorry but if folks can't afford a hotel cost

TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Sorry but if folks can't afford a hotel cost

Post by TreeGuy »

No real issue with her letter. We own our own place, nothing fancy but we are protective of our neighbourhood. Our home is our sanctuary and we have a right to enjoy it without disturbances from inconsiderate people.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

Her letter cracked me up. Another whiner and complainer of the okanagan that has nothing else better to do. Its obvious she has no clue how Airbnb really works its just something for her to whine and complain about. Lets say these Airbnb customers are really noisy. How are they any different than bad renters with lots of traffic and parties?
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

W105 wrote:why would you want to do that Vegas ??

and she's right...why do Homeowners that don't need to use Air BnB to make their mortgage payments (that's their problem not hers) have to tolerate having their neighborhoods turn into mini hotels ??

it's also not her problem to keep tourism rolling in Kelowna...how did our tourism industry survive before they were introduced ?? (just fine)

and who's being selfish ?? homeowners who follow our Bylaws or those who don't ?? (me thinks it's the homeowners who are dismissing our Bylaws and pocketing tax free rental income look pretty self centered)

as for other parts of the world loving Air BnB...wrong...just a few google clicks and you can easily see that many cities are seriously regulating it..

Sorry W105....I wouldn't, it was meant as a joke..... I have much better things to do with my time.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Gixxer wrote:Her letter cracked me up. Another whiner and complainer of the okanagan that has nothing else better to do. Its obvious she has no clue how Airbnb really works its just something for her to whine and complain about. Lets say these Airbnb customers are really noisy. How are they any different than bad renters with lots of traffic and parties?

There is no difference, neither situation should be tolerated. Just curious, to those that think it is no big deal, do you rent or own a house?

We own and we pay our mortgage and taxes. For all that we pay and the investment we make into our property, is it unreasonable to expect that we should be able to enjoy it without being disturbed? And I don’t mean the odd party by the neighbours or construction noise, I’m taking about excessive, unnecessary noise or activity.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I also fall into the category of distaste and out-right anger over Airbnb's being
run in my nice quiet (well, used to be) little closed street of single Family,
residential homes.

It's just a nightmare of B.S. every frickn' week !

If I can't afford to go somewhere, I generally...don't...pretty simple concept really.

If I feel I must, that is what sleeping bags and tents are for.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

According to this article the City of Kelowna was going to deal with this in the Fall. Question is have they since Fall is rapidly ending.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... in-Kelowna

Added later: City may need to hire few more bylaw officers
Last edited by GordonH on Nov 26th, 2017, 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

If Air BnB's are regulated or restricted, hotel rates are likely to go back up. Then, there is likely a financial incentive to take advantage of the premium rental rates so developers have incentives to build more hotels. Hotels that are professionally managed and more importantly, located where they are supposed to be.

If you think Air BnBs are not a real issue you are naive. I have a friend who lives in an apartment building and once the Air BnBers above filled up the tub and flooded the apartment including theirs. There was over $2000 in water damages that the upstairs owner refused to cover. In another instance there was a party and smoking in the balcony above which resulted in a fire and the whole building had to be evacuated. Guess the strata's insurance premium probably went up too.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

dirtybiker wrote:I also fall into the category of distaste and out-right anger over Airbnb's being
run in my nice quiet (well, used to be) little closed street of single Family,
residential homes.

It's just a nightmare of B.S. every frickn' week !

If I can't afford to go somewhere, I generally...don't...pretty simple concept really.

If I feel I must, that is what sleeping bags and tents are for.

I'm sure your home is still better then 90% of most in the world live in. You should get out more. If you did, you would just sit back, relax and enjoy the true greatness of how good it is to live where you do. I am also, sure that homeowners don't want their places trashed by airbnb guests either. Thats why there are review of people on the site and strict rules.

Regardless, just be glad you live where you do. Lifes to short otherwise plus the world is in a huge heap of crap. Canada is paradise to most of the world. They in fact would laugh at how people who actually live in paradise complain about it and would trade your place in a second.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

^^^^^But by no means do I want the rest of the worlds crap dumped on my door-step.^^^^^

I'll fight for my home, my land, and my way of life.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

dirtybiker wrote:^^^^^But by no means do I want the rest of the worlds crap dumped on my door-step.^^^^^

I'll fight for my home, my land, and my way of life.

It’s your choice to always find something to complain about or fight for. I would recommend just being extremely happy you live in Kelowna Canada. But your choice.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Times are changing. Whether or not everyone is on board.

I had an Air B&B next door to me all summer and it was fine. Even when a houseful of 20 year olds rented it on Centre of Gravity weekend.

My issue is with how it affects housing. Maybe we make a bylaw that Air B&B can be on owner occupied houses only so it doesn't remove properties from the rental pool for people needing homes. They are a priority to me over people travelling.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Hmmm wrote:I'm sure your home is still better then 90% of most in the world live in. [bYou should get out more. If you did, you would just sit back, relax and enjoy the true greatness of how good it is to live where you do. I am also, sure that homeowners don't want their places trashed by airbnb guests either. Thats why there are review of people on the site and strict rules.

Regardless, just be glad you live where you do. Lifes to short otherwise plus the world is in a huge heap of crap. Canada is paradise to most of the world. They in fact would laugh at how people who actually live in paradise complain about it and would trade your place in a second.

The whole “first world problems” argument is such BS. In some cases it is a good argument, others, just total BS like in this case.

Like I mentioned in my other comment we pay a lot of money to live where we live and our place is a shack compared to most other homes in the valley. We work hard, we budget and we save. Our vehicles are 20 years in age or older. And we don’t go on fancy vacations, we don’t need to, we live in a beautiful spot.

Sure some family living in a mud hut somewhere would love to have our mansion and some family living in a mud hole would love to live in that other families mud hut. Funny though I don’t covet the bigger fancier homes I see in other areas.

There will always be people that are greater or lesser than ourselves. Your argument goes around and around in an endless circle.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

^^^ you can always tell who hasn’t gotten out much, can’t you?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 26th, 2017, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

*removed*I just have happened to live with rockets pointed at me longer then you I guess,and overall much less quality of life then most people in Canada. So I happen to know for a fact, that everyone who’s lived as I have, would be thrilled to live as you probably always have. They certainly would never complain about people trying to make a buck or save a buck. They would just relish the paradise they live in.
Last edited by ferri on Nov 26th, 2017, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to off topic post.

Return to “Central Okanagan”