Kelowna declares war on cars.

Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Kelowna declares war on cars.

Post by Jflem1983 »

spooker wrote:
LTD wrote:yes tax people more that should fix everything

How do you think they're paying for the widening of Hwy 97? More roads == more taxes come out of our pockets

At least the widened hwy will benefit everyone. Transit only helps a few people. Most buses i see in town are nearly empty
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

The city has known this for at least 20 years. They do absolutely nothing to make it better .
Can not imagine trying to get to wprk or get groceries on a bus. What a nightmare.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
spooker

Post by spooker »

WalterWhite wrote:Have a read through some of these proposals. I personally have an issue with T8. The T10 proposal they can simply stuff where the sun don't shine.
Can you say collusion? Price fixing?

T8 - we own that parking lot, why shouldn't we make money off it?

T10 - anytime gas goes up we complain, and maybe we don't take that 20th car trip, instead opting for an alternative ... or we just pay it because it's "our gosh-darn right to drive everywhere all the time"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

WalterWhite wrote:Have a read through some of these proposals. I personally have an issue with T8. The T10 proposal they can simply stuff where the sun don't shine.
Can you say collusion? Price fixing?

9544697_web1_citygraphic2.jpg

Only way T10 would work, is to include Lake Country down to Peachland.

Those wanting to avoid this tax would have to go to either Summerland of Vernon for fuel.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Jflem1983 wrote:At least the widened hwy will benefit everyone. Transit only helps a few people. Most buses i see in town are nearly empty

Won't benefit everyone ... I used to enjoy a safer ride using the shoulders, now I'll have to share the lane with cars going 80 ... and I doubt you'll see much improvement from it after a year or two ... more people will use it and the congestion will be just as bad ...

Let's focus on getting that message out there, we'd use transit if transit would work for us ...

One thing that I always require of my employees is that if they're going to tell me something is a bad idea then they need to submit an alternative, remediation, or solution ...
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Jflem1983 wrote:
The whole thing stinks to high heaven. Kelowna is one of the most vehicle dependant cities i have ever lived in. There is no transit. Cabs are really expensive. Tons of hills make cycling less enjoyable. Even if u did want to cycle. There are no bike routes. Just shoulders of roads to ride on. I notice no one ever cycles on my road. I wonder why not ? Oh ya cuz they would get hit by a truck . I litterally have to run just to cross my street to the neighbors . If the city is wprried about greenhouse gases. Maybe the city ought to do something. Punishing the citizens for doing what they need to do to get around is ridiculous. Bus service needs to be 24 / 7. 365. Every ten minutes. City wide. Or it is useless to most . This council all need to go. Hodge can stay

No Transit?
I swear that I rode in a bus just a week ago.
Just the odd cab trip across town costs less than maintaining and insuring a car for some people.
Try moving to Nelson, or Mission ( the city ) if you want to see hills. Both cities have more cyclists per capita than Kelowna. Get rid of 50% of the cars and the streets would be safer for cyclusts.
I could go on, but won't.

In my case, I do need a car to visit and help out my mom living out of town, and to bring stuff to and from work ocasionally.
Since I often park my car for several weeks at a time I am thinking of getting a electric car soon, along with a solar power.
Plus taking transit or riding my bicycle whenever possible.
Last edited by stuphoto on Nov 27th, 2017, 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

spooker wrote:

How do you think they're paying for the widening of Hwy 97? More roads == more taxes come out of our pockets

well no chit Sherlock my point is adding a gas tax to cover something our tax dollars are already supposed to cover isn't the answer time to manage what they steal from us already better. The city city just happened to have 20 plus million laying around for the rail trail and now suggest taxing us more to pay for transit fugdat I pay enough tax thanks.
christopher
Board Meister

Post by christopher »

spooker wrote:

The tax on gas was always to go on road's and public transport. If the tax's collected did go on roads there is not enough road builders in BC to do the work. So wheres the money going?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

stuphoto wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:
The whole thing stinks to high heaven. Kelowna is one of the most vehicle dependant cities i have ever lived in. There is no transit. Cabs are really expensive. Tons of hills make cycling less enjoyable. Even if u did want to cycle. There are no bike routes. Just shoulders of roads to ride on. I notice no one ever cycles on my road. I wonder why not ? Oh ya cuz they would get hit by a truck . I litterally have to run just to cross my street to the neighbors . If the city is wprried about greenhouse gases. Maybe the city ought to do something. Punishing the citizens for doing what they need to do to get around is ridiculous. Bus service needs to be 24 / 7. 365. Every ten minutes. City wide. Or it is useless to most . This council all need to go. Hodge can stay

No Transit?
I swear that I rode in a bus just a week ago.
Just the odd cab trip across town costs less than maintaining and insuring a car for some people.
Try moving to Nelson, or Mission ( the city ) if you want to see hills. Both cities have more cyclists per capita than Kelowna. Get rid of 50% of the cars and the streets would be safer for cyclusts.
I could go on, but won't.

In my case, I do need a car to visit and help out my mom living out of town, and to bring stuff to and from work ocasionally.
Since I often park my car for several weeks at a time I am thinking of getting a electric car soon, along with a solar power.
Plus taking transit or riding my bicycle whenever possible.

Well u go ahead taking the bus and cycling. No one is saying u shouldnt. I am saying it is not even a consideration for me . I think i am in the vast majority .

Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

The tax on gas was always to go on road's and public transport. If the tax's collected did go on roads there is not enough road builders in BC to do the work. So wheres the money going?[/quote]

This is the truth. Billions must be being stolen every day . Look at Golden and the mess of a hwy thru there. The federal government has put money up at least 3 times in my lifetime to fix it. It never gets fixed.

Taxes go up by the minute with property values. The city must have a lot of extra money these last few years .
Maybe they could use the money saved by not building a tourism office. To improve some arterial roadways

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Here is the thing, each resident needs to look at the overall cost of having & maintaining a vehicle i.e wear & tear maintenance, insurance, fuel cost (blood pressure due to other drivers, lol) etc... etc..

If using transit fills the day to day needs & lowers your day to day cost then go for it. Meanwhile if you need vehicle for an out of town trip, checkout rentals.

Now a large portion of population will never give up their vehicle, I more then likely fit into that group (but live styles change).

No one has a gun to anyones head over this, okay.

Added: to pedestrians & cyclist please wear reflective clothing & have a light on your bike.... thank-you
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Ferri says its ok to post the article. http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/ ... 73c5b.html

WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Just what we need - a civic think tank making decisions based on supposed GHG emissions with "facts" like this to back up their decisions:

"So-called community emissions - exhaust from private vehicles, for example, and by-products from the heating and cooling of privately-owned buildings - represent 99 per cent of GHG emissions, and form the target of today's report to council."
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

T7 sure when its -20 force people to switch off their engine that's providing heat and safety from the bitter cold.

Idiot hippies. This isn't California.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Why would they declare war on drive thru. Its the most efficient form of service for banking . Pharmacy. And fast food. In fact it likely cuts down on vehicle use. People tend to hit up a drive thru when they are already out and about. It is plausible that taking away this fast service will only result in more cars on the road going to and from .

Return to “Central Okanagan”