Free homes for the homeless....

fz6adventure
Board Meister

Re: Free homes for the homeless....

Post by fz6adventure »

dogspoiler wrote:The more worthless someone is the more they bellyache that no one is doing enough for them. They are their own worst enemy.

Maybe they just don't want to be on the wheel? Maybe they don't want to be forced to live another persons rules? Maybe they don't want anything other than they just want to be left alone? If they are not harming anyone, why not just leave them alone?

The people choosing to live in tents in Vancouver really aren't hurting anyone in Kelowna. There are literally millions of refugees through out the world that are living in tents and they are not a problem in our backyard either. Why does one think that the only proper way to live is in a house paying property taxes for a bunch of stuff you never get the benefit of?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

And the more provided, the more show up.

Build it and they will come.

Do very, very, little for them (not nothing) be labeled heartless heathens.

Communities that do the most (for them), will be destined to have the most (homeless)
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

dirtybiker wrote:And the more provided, the more show up.

Build it and they will come.

Do very, very, little for them (not nothing) be labeled heartless heathens.

Communities that do the most (for them), will be destined to have the most (homeless)

Exactly. Those that qualify for one of these NDP government supplied suites and removed from the streets, will be replaced by others that will take their place and wait in the que for the next available unit.
Just like the "mission" and "Inn from the Cold" facilities, they will have rules. The ones that remain on the streets will be those that choose to opt-out because of those rules.
They want it their way or they won't make any attempt to improve their own situation.
Bring back the LIKE button.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

fz6adventure wrote:
WalterWhite wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/214197/Violence-at-homeless-camp

Homeless camped out in Vancouver and refusing to move from city owned property slated for development as - social housing. Oh the irony. Homeless are complaining because they say "the housing is inadequate and comes with too many rules." I'm sorry, but where does it say the homeless get to dictate the quality or requirements to access handouts provided to them? Kind of like saying you don't like the soup of the day at the soup kitchen.

I think there is a bigger story to this ...... as informed by the Pivot Legal team.

It appears that the City of Vancouver tried to have the people evicted but were unsuccessful in their attempts because the land was public. Then, behind the scenes the City executed a lease of the property to a third party effectively removing from the designation as public property. I don't believe there is even a building permit issued let alone a development permit so it will be a long time coming before anything is done with the site. The City just wants to evict them for Christmas to show them they will make their lives as difficult and miserable as possible - Merry Christmas, peace and love to all!

Just a wee bit slippery by the City of Vancouver ...... only a tricky manuever one would expect from the City of Kelowna?

While I'm sure there likely is much more to the story than Castanet reports - even the CTV link provided yields significantly more info - I highly doubt the City of Vancouver
wants to evict them for Christmas to show them they will make their lives as difficult and miserable as possible

The CTV story indicates that in fact, there was room at shelters made available for each and every one of them, which they chose not to take advantage of:
In a statement, a spokesperson said city outreach teams were at the lot last Friday to ask residents to move into a shelter where space was being held for them. The shelter welcomes couples and pets, and has space to store belongings, communications manager Lauren Stasila said.

So far, alternative housing options have been secured for a dozen people living on Franklin Street, and another 18 have accepted shelter beds. She said the city estimates approximately six people are still living on the site, and there is shelter space available for them.

Return to “Central Okanagan”