Restaurant waste regulations...

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Restaurant waste regulations...

Post by GordonH »

Bman wrote:Lets feed all the homeless day old doughnuts when we can vaccinate them for diabetes.
Otherwise it might be cheaper to feed them broccoli and chicken.

AlienSoldier wrote:If that's the case there should be a tax on donuts due to the affect it creates on our health system. Although you might contribute to through taxes I am sure it does not take this into account.

If thats the case then add a tax to every fast-food joint out there then, oh yes don't forget all the candy as well.

Added later: I'm aware both get either or both PST & GST, just another junk food tax
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
mnprochnau
Banned

Post by mnprochnau »

Timm Hortons food is pretty much garbage before they serve it to you so to just through it directly into the garbage seems fair right and just. What blows me away is that you people care enough about such a lame and trivial issue as to waste your time writing about it here
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Couple of month ago marketplace on CBC had a story on this issue. They went to Walmart, same thing. Next thing you know the garbage bins were placed behind a fence so no one could get at it.
The fact is that we live in a waste society. That includes food. And yes its a shame to throw good food out while we have people and children going hungry.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

mnprochnau wrote:Timm Hortons food is pretty much garbage before they serve it to you so to just through it directly into the garbage seems fair right and just. What blows me away is that you people care enough about such a lame and trivial issue as to waste your time writing about it here

And you cared enough to join in. Eating fresh vegetables in a sandwich isn't garbage btw.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Fancy wrote:
mnprochnau wrote:Timm Hortons food is pretty much garbage before they serve it to you so to just through it directly into the garbage seems fair right and just. What blows me away is that you people care enough about such a lame and trivial issue as to waste your time writing about it here

And you cared enough to join in. Eating fresh vegetables in a sandwich isn't garbage btw.

Eww..I take the vegetables out... [icon_lol2.gif]
spooker

Post by spooker »

*removed*
Good use of resources is never a lame nor trivial discussion ... you can go back to 1833 where it was introduced as "Teh Tragedy of the Commons" ... still missing a solid answer that can be applied to today's society and we've had almost 200 years to figure it out ...
Last edited by ferri on Nov 29th, 2017, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Nov 29th, 2017, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

Just wondering what you guys propose for the logistics of carrying this out? Who pays for and coordinates pickups at dozens of restaurants on a daily basis? And then who pays for doing this? Who pays for the expansion of cooler facilities and storage space at the foodbank as well (if they even have room)?

Has anyone even asked the foodbank if they want this old food?

A lot of you are assuming that we should just feed the homeless anything because we think they need it and should be thankful for scraps and throwaways.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Where are the food banks going to throw away the 2 day old stuff?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

The first part of this post is so true.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Gee I like their soups and sandwiches.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Jonrox wrote:Has anyone even asked the foodbank if they want this old food?

A lot of you are assuming that we should just feed the homeless anything because we think they need it and should be thankful for scraps and throwaways.

If other areas do it, why not the Okanagan?
https://www.foodbank.bc.ca/our-programs/food-recovery/
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Starbucks says it's "looking into" formalizing a national Canadian program to eliminate food waste through food donations, but a spokeswoman said a timeline for such a program isn't available. Still, some of Starbucks' roughly 1,300 Canadian locations already donate food to local food banks.

And this is over a year ago:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/starbuc ... -1.3505816
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

Okay so a few things people are ignoring;

Day old food is definitely edible
There are a lot of food types that are most definitely consumable after a day, but there are exceptions.

Nutritional
Tim Hortons food isn't necessarily nutritious so while the idea of handing it out for free is a great idea it is not a good strategy.

Legality
Companies are liable for the food they give away, any situation that may arise of given away food can come back to bite the companies. The issue is worsened as you may have individuals who are already not in the best of health so the likelihood of something happening increases. To be clear I still feel it would be better to give away the food at the end of the day.

The Cause
We are the cause for food being thrown away. Now this is a broad statement and mostly based on opinion so bare with me.

We have come to react quickly and publicly about any small misstep companies make. From a bad coffee, to a bad burger we tend to advertise the issue not just to our close friends but to everyone damaging the businesses. Should they have to improve? Most definitely, but this can be achieved by talking to them and discussing the issue.

The Chicken Burger story is a prime example. Now I agree that the idea of uncooked chicken on a burger is not only disgusting but a serious health issue. This for one was clearly a mistake and should have been addressed with the establishment and company. To then go to the news about one "bad burger" seems to be rather ludicrous (but again that is my opinion). So now we damaged that business' reputation even though they are likely taking steps to train and do more QC.

Could awareness have been raised without putting the establishment/franchisee into hot water? Very likely. So now you can bet the company is going to take further steps to insulate itself from any public backlash or potential lawsuits. This will likely (if it wasn't before) result in the destruction of edible food.

Now to address the whole Tim Horton's throwing out of food, I am sorry but this story isn't highlighting any thing that wasn't readily known, just a little while ago Walmart was called out for the same thing after a massive power outage. The public outcry was huge but in reality what if you had to consume that food? What if you got sick of it? (these are just simple what ifs) Would you be upset and again point peoples attention at having consumed day old food?

The individual who brought this to light, based on her experience should actually know all this which is also a bit telling by the way. Being in Fitness and Marketing she was pretty aware of what this "find" would do. Now that doesn't mean it was self serving but it also was pretty clearly a roundabout way of shaming a company on a subject which has been covered more than once.

Return to “Central Okanagan”