BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agree?

youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Post by youjustcomplain »

aks3n wrote:They are going to be putting in housing for the homeless in Kelowna on Enterprise by Leathead.
I do not have an issue with homeless people, however, business owners in that area were not notified. Nor were the residential community across the highway thru to Ben Lee Park.
There was/is constant issues already in that business area with break-ins and vandalism.
There were dog walkers and trail walkers getting robbed by homeless people on the trail by the creek along Enterprise rd.

Whats going to happen now? Businesses are just going to get more security patrols? So, where are they homeless people going to start roaming? Towards our homes and residential community's in Rutland?

We already have enough issues in this area with car break-ins, theft from properties, among many other things.
What do we do now? Pay extra for home security/cameras? Extra private security patrols?

Just my humble opinion/discussion.

Whats your take on this? How does this make you feel?

PS. Again, I'm not in anyway against homeless people, they need a place to live, but what about the bad apples (sort of speaking) that will effect all of us in this area and can't protect our homes because we are at work during the day, or (now) worrying at night if their is a higher risk of property theft.

I'm only posting this because this got approved, and from what I understand, was not discussed with the community?

You say you're not against homeless people. I'm not sure what that means. You're ok with them being homeless? Or you don't mind the people despite their homelessness? Regardless, say you're not against them, but you seem to feel that businesses should be notified of housing being built for them. Why? Are they sex offenders? Why should business and/or residents be notified of this? Then you bring up crime in the area as if these people will contribute to it. Why do you feel that way? Where will the homeless be roaming? Why do they need to roam once they have housing? Maybe they will. Maybe they'll all be criminals. Maybe they're all drug abusers. How about we give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe, just maybe, some of them just need a chance to fit into society again.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

vinnied wrote:update. looks like the old A&B sound building will open immediately.
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#213028

That'll make the grey goose happy.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

A guy i know applied to the John Howard Society on St Paul St back in February 2015 in regards to housing as he was homeless and trying to get it together despite is severe alcoholism.He had a meeting with them in February 2014 and they told him that rather then putting him in Cardington ( St Paul St ) he would be better suited for New Gate Apartments ( Rutland Road ) since he was making a valiant effort to straighten his life around.He was ecstatic however they did tell him that it could take upwards of two years to obtain residency yet stranger things have happened and one becomes available sooner.He was a happy guy and kept going down the right path and every few months he would check in with them just to remind them that he's on the waiting list and they would say again " could take up to two years" After about eighteen months this guy started getting frustrated yet he soldiered on and kept checking in with them even after he found out that people who signed up after him had already been placed in housing.After two years and seven months later he emails the person he had the meeting with on September 12/2017 and this is her response below.

Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2017 3:50 PM
Subject: RE: New Gate Apartments Inquiry

Hello,

Our process to obtain residency within JHSCSO residential services has changed.
I have attached a BC Housing Supportive Housing Application Registration form that is to be completed and submitted to BC Housing (Interior Region) as you have expressed interest in the John Howard Society of the Central & South Okanagan’s residential services. Said application will also provide housing options through alternative organizations such as, BC Housing and CMHA.
Once said application has been received, you will be contacted via BC Housing in order to engage in a Vulnerability Assessment Tool that will provide us the opportunity to determine your needs and potentially match you to housing.
As you know, the demand for affordable housing far surpasses the supply. In addition, not all housing sites available will meet the needs of everyone who applies.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me utilizing the contact information below.

*removed*

So after two years and seven months they couldn't get ahold of him to let him know that policies have changed and that he needs to reapply? Talk about a kick in the teeth ( as you can see i extracted his email address for privacy purposes )
Last edited by ferri on Dec 1st, 2017, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Name removed
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

so much for cleaning up leon ave, hope they give the beds to the real homeless and not the homeless criminal junkies
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

the truth wrote:so much for cleaning up leon ave, hope they give the beds to the real homeless and not the homeless criminal junkies

I agree and give them to the people who are truly trying to clean themselves up
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

This is a good location for it as it is right by the highway. They need to be dispersed equally though. So I think they need to start thinking to include Kettle Valley, the Mission, and Dilworth Mountain.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bjsilent wrote:A guy i know applied to the John Howard Society on St Paul St back in February 2015 in regards to housing as he was homeless and trying to get it together despite is severe alcoholism.He had a meeting with them in February 2014 and they told him that rather then putting him in Cardington ( St Paul St ) he would be better suited for New Gate Apartments ( Rutland Road ) since he was making a valiant effort to straighten his life around.He was ecstatic however they did tell him that it could take upwards of two years to obtain residency yet stranger things have happened and one becomes available sooner.He was a happy guy and kept going down the right path and every few months he would check in with them just to remind them that he's on the waiting list and they would say again " could take up to two years" After about eighteen months this guy started getting frustrated yet he soldiered on and kept checking in with them even after he found out that people who signed up after him had already been placed in housing.After two years and seven months later he emails the person he had the meeting with on September 12/2017 and this is her response below.

Hello,

I have attached a BC Housing Supportive Housing Application Registration form that is to be completed and submitted to BC Housing (Interior Region) as you have expressed interest in the John Howard Society of the Central & South Okanagan’s residential services. Said application will also provide housing options through alternative organizations such as, BC Housing and CMHA.
Once said application has been received, you will be contacted via BC Housing in order to engage in a Vulnerability Assessment Tool that will provide us the opportunity to determine your needs and potentially match you to housing.
As you know, the demand for affordable housing far surpasses the supply. In addition, not all housing sites available will meet the needs of everyone who applies.
If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me utilizing the contact information below.

*removed*

So after two years and seven months they couldn't get ahold of him to let him know that policies have changed and that he needs to reapply? Talk about a kick in the teeth ( as you can see i extracted his email address for privacy purposes )

the people in charge if you want to call it that, [icon_lol2.gif] know nothing or do not care, your story and many others prove that, they are not in the caring business they are in the making $$$ business
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Scrobins94 wrote:This is a good location for it as it is right by the highway. They need to be dispersed equally though. So I think they need to start thinking to include Kettle Valley, the Mission, and Dilworth Mountain.

not in are life time, sucks to be businesses in that area they will have extra security , and once again close enough to rutland area
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Post by MalaPropina »

the truth wrote:so much for cleaning up leon ave, hope they give the beds to the real homeless and not the homeless criminal junkies

At least it's in on an already sketchy block. They could have put it elsewhere and ruined another area instead.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Placed right in the middle of a circle of 4 hotels within a direct view. There goes 25% of room sales for each and everyone of those tourist accommodation suites. What tourist would return to such a view while visiting "Beautiful British Columbia" and you can be sure that they will not recommend these hotels to their friends. This location will kill these hotels' business.
Bring back the LIKE button.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

alanjh595 wrote:Placed right in the middle of a circle of 4 hotels within a direct view. There goes 25% of room sales for each and everyone of those tourist accommodation suites. What tourist would return to such a view while visiting "Beautiful British Columbia" and you can be sure that they will not recommend these hotels to their friends. This location will kill these hotels' business.

Hence why the Prestige on Harvey suffers,imagine waking up in the morning and drawing the curtains back just to see the back side of the Homeless Shelter and homeless/transients loitering around.
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

alanjh595 wrote:Placed right in the middle of a circle of 4 hotels within a direct view. There goes 25% of room sales for each and everyone of those tourist accommodation suites. What tourist would return to such a view while visiting "Beautiful British Columbia" and you can be sure that they will not recommend these hotels to their friends. This location will kill these hotels' business.

Last I heard hotels are 100% full during tourist season.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

bjsilent wrote:A guy i know applied to the John Howard Society on St Paul St back in February 2015 in regards to housing as he was homeless and trying to get it together despite is severe alcoholism.He had a meeting with them in February 2014 and they told him that rather then putting him in Cardington ( St Paul St ) he would be better suited for New Gate Apartments ( Rutland Road ) since he was making a valiant effort to straighten his life around.He was ecstatic however they did tell him that it could take upwards of two years to obtain residency yet stranger things have happened and one becomes available sooner.He was a happy guy and kept going down the right path and every few months he would check in with them just to remind them that he's on the waiting list and they would say again " could take up to two years" After about eighteen months this guy started getting frustrated yet he soldiered on and kept checking in with them even after he found out that people who signed up after him had already been placed in housing.After two years and seven months later he emails the person he had the meeting with on September 12/2017 and this is her response below.

Hello,

*removed*

What you have described and provided us here IS the REAL issue. People blame the homeless for not trying to change their lives, they do try. The system fails most of them most of the time. I have MANY MANY stories that match this story above.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Would you like to know who REALLY fills up the Gospel Mission, at least during the summer months?

Backpackers from Quebec and Montreal! not REAL homeless people.
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Scrobins94 wrote:This is a good location for it as it is right by the highway. They need to be dispersed equally though. So I think they need to start thinking to include Kettle Valley, the Mission, and Dilworth Mountain.

Transportation is available up these two mountains?

I think its nonsensical to put housing for homeless in any area in which they require transportation, they clearly cannot afford anything but by foot.

Return to “Central Okanagan”