BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agree?

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby bjsilent » Jun 5th, 2018, 8:23 am

Had to laugh when Gaelene Askeland ( executive director of John Howard Society) said " this isnt a homeless shelter, there wont be people coming and going, this is their home" lol ya right people will be coming and going all day and night regardless if they live there! Be prepared for the onslaught of crime, drug dealing and vandalism to neighboring businesses

2 people like this post.
bjsilent
Board Meister
 
Posts: 431
Likes: 126 posts
Liked in: 478 posts
Joined: Mar 8th, 2013, 9:34 am
Location: Kelowna

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby the truth » Jun 5th, 2018, 11:42 am

and that's a fact.sad but true
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18614
Likes: 13791 posts
Liked in: 7869 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby Anonymous123 » Jun 5th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:Today was groundbreaking day for the Commerce Ave location of the homeless shelter. There was a tent over the pulled pork buffet that was feeding the dignitaries in attendance. Not one homeless person was invited. All the pomp and pageantry could have been avoided and the money used to help feed some of the homeless. What a crock.


Jason34 wrote:Maybe, but how about all the money that could have been saved had first building been approved? But, oh wait, it didn't look good so it shouldn't be built. Money saved from that could have been used to house more people, and you are complaining about their food, really?


Congratulations on your first post, and welcome to the forums. Did I strike a nerve? You must have been one of the "dignitaries in attendance" that needs to be noticed. If they really wanted to save money, why didn't they open up the old RCMP station for the homeless? Too close to City Hall?
We See
We Judge
User avatar
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2849
Likes: 2359 posts
Liked in: 1692 posts
Joined: Feb 8th, 2013, 5:02 pm
Location: The fine line between reality and fantasy

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby Jason34 » Jun 5th, 2018, 2:35 pm

[quote="Anonymous123"][quote="Anonymous123"]Today was groundbreaking day for the Commerce Ave location of the homeless shelter. There was a tent over the pulled pork buffet that was feeding the dignitaries in attendance. Not one homeless person was invited. All the pomp and pageantry could have been avoided and the money used to help feed some of the homeless. What a crock.[/quote]

[quote="Jason34"]Maybe, but how about all the money that could have been saved had first building been approved? But, oh wait, it didn't look good so it shouldn't be built. Money saved from that could have been used to house more people, and you are complaining about their food, really?[/quote]

Congratulations on your first post, and welcome to the forums. Did I strike a nerve? You must have been one of the "dignitaries in attendance" that needs to be noticed. If they really wanted to save money, why didn't they open up the old RCMP station for the homeless? Too close to City Hall?[/quote]

Thank you for the welcome! Also no, but I wouldn't have minded trying the pulled pork! Though I think you miss the point, I have been following this for some time and there was an initial design which didn't get approved, so money and time has been wasted to get to this building designed, isn't that a bigger problem then a day of photos and speeches? Is the problem addressing the homelessness issue in town or is it that we just focus on what they eat? I actually am glad that this project is going ahead.
Jason34
 
Posts: 3
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Jun 4th, 2018, 10:54 am

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby TMBOkanagan » Jun 6th, 2018, 3:18 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:
Congratulations on your first post, and welcome to the forums. Did I strike a nerve? You must have been one of the "dignitaries in attendance" that needs to be noticed. If they really wanted to save money, why didn't they open up the old RCMP station for the homeless? Too close to City Hall?


House the homeless in jail cells?

Jflem1983 likes this post.
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling
 
Posts: 226
Likes: 721 posts
Liked in: 144 posts
Joined: Aug 8th, 2016, 2:02 pm

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby alanjh595 » Jun 6th, 2018, 3:29 pm

TMBOkanagan wrote:
Anonymous123 wrote:
Congratulations on your first post, and welcome to the forums. Did I strike a nerve? You must have been one of the "dignitaries in attendance" that needs to be noticed. If they really wanted to save money, why didn't they open up the old RCMP station for the homeless? Too close to City Hall?


House the homeless in jail cells?


Why not? Cells are just a room. There are segregation rooms for females and "quiet rooms" for those that are detoxing. They would be safe, secure, and have security available. There is also the shooting range for any overflow. They are clean and can be easily sanitized after move out. All come complete with heat, light, private bathrooms, and 3 meals a day.
I don't see a problem with that.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
alanjh595
Guru
 
Posts: 9945
Likes: 3879 posts
Liked in: 4863 posts
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby Scrobins94 » Jun 7th, 2018, 8:23 am

This is what the city needs. To spread out the burden of homelessness a bit. It is way too concentrated in Leon Ave now. Maybe they should build one of these in each of Kettle Valley, Lower Mission, Upper Mission, Ellison, Kelowna North, Glenmore, Dilworth, etc... Make them look decent, like this one. The more spread out the more difficult for the dealers. Oh and lock up the dealers if they are caught. They are scum.

By the way, anyone know what happened to the case of the Duke and Duchess store owners?

the truth likes this post.
Scrobins94
Board Meister
 
Posts: 575
Likes: 1261 posts
Liked in: 447 posts
Joined: Jan 15th, 2017, 5:42 am

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby Jim Dixon » Jun 7th, 2018, 10:04 am

KelownaCrackinCrew wrote:.........do what it takes by any means to keep a full belly and a roof over your head.


and that is just what a lot of homeless people feel they need to do..."what it takes by any means to keep a full belly and a roof over" their heads...

{SIDEBAR}
Trolls: I'm not saying it's right, but when one is addicted, can't get work, and need to eat and get drugs, they will resort to and do what KelownaCrackinCrew said [it] was raised to do and that is to do what ever it takes - including theft and robbery.
{/SIDEBAR}


Housing-for-the-homeless is not and has never been the answer here or anywhere else in the world. Had council and 'staff' looked outside their little Kelowna bubble, they would have realized this. They are not inventing anything new. The so-called homeless support groups get big, need a big money for 'administration costs' (born by the taxpayer) and end up being just another agency full of people under a different welfare flag. No where has there been a fiscally and socially responsible solution to homelessness. This foobar will come back to haunt the next council, and taxpayers.

As I see it, there are four types of homeless people.
  1. Those that have lost their jobs, can't afford to move, can't find another job and need temporary assistance to get back on their feet including those that have lost a partner, running from abusive relationships, at-risk youth, or single parents, or seniors that have, as they say, fallen through the cracks.
  2. The junkies. Those that knew better, but elected to enter the drug world and become an addict; stealing, robbing, conning and milking the system.
  3. The mentally challenged that were tossed out of care and on to the streets by our governments and us.
  4. Then there are the very few that choose the homeless lifestyle... and leach off the system.

There is no magic brush that can paint a solution that fits everyone.

just sayin...

j
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context and used against you in a Court of Social Media.
User avatar
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 731
Likes: 68 posts
Liked in: 84 posts
Joined: Aug 29th, 2005, 9:19 am
Location: Earth - but that too is temporary.

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby Jflem1983 » Jun 7th, 2018, 9:12 pm

Jim Dixon wrote:
KelownaCrackinCrew wrote:.........do what it takes by any means to keep a full belly and a roof over your head.


and that is just what a lot of homeless people feel they need to do..."what it takes by any means to keep a full belly and a roof over" their heads...

{SIDEBAR}
Trolls: I'm not saying it's right, but when one is addicted, can't get work, and need to eat and get drugs, they will resort to and do what KelownaCrackinCrew said [it] was raised to do and that is to do what ever it takes - including theft and robbery.
{/SIDEBAR}


Housing-for-the-homeless is not and has never been the answer here or anywhere else in the world. Had council and 'staff' looked outside their little Kelowna bubble, they would have realized this. They are not inventing anything new. The so-called homeless support groups get big, need a big money for 'administration costs' (born by the taxpayer) and end up being just another agency full of people under a different welfare flag. No where has there been a fiscally and socially responsible solution to homelessness. This foobar will come back to haunt the next council, and taxpayers.

As I see it, there are four types of homeless people.
  1. Those that have lost their jobs, can't afford to move, can't find another job and need temporary assistance to get back on their feet including those that have lost a partner, running from abusive relationships, at-risk youth, or single parents, or seniors that have, as they say, fallen through the cracks.
  2. The junkies. Those that knew better, but elected to enter the drug world and become an addict; stealing, robbing, conning and milking the system.
  3. The mentally challenged that were tossed out of care and on to the streets by our governments and us.
  4. Then there are the very few that choose the homeless lifestyle... and leach off the system.

There is no magic brush that can paint a solution that fits everyone.

just sayin...

j



As usual i agree with some of your post. Where i differ . I think its better to get people off the street. I support forced rehab and work camps. Some people call that facist. I say. Ok fine. Its facist. Lets try it
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"

5 people like this post.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Guru
 
Posts: 5785
Likes: 12256 posts
Liked in: 3276 posts
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 11:38 am

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby the truth » Jun 8th, 2018, 8:58 am

nothing else is working, so why not, :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Jflem1983 likes this post.
User avatar
the truth
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 18614
Likes: 13791 posts
Liked in: 7869 posts
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby whattaday » Jun 8th, 2018, 10:17 am

There won't be any shelters in the mission, as we're a conservative riding.
cool story, bro
User avatar
whattaday
 
Posts: 16
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 10 posts
Joined: May 11th, 2016, 11:50 am

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby Anonymous123 » Jun 8th, 2018, 11:02 am

It doesn't matter how many shelters are built. When they are full the problems downtown will still exist as more people arrive.
We See
We Judge

Deean likes this post.
User avatar
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2849
Likes: 2359 posts
Liked in: 1692 posts
Joined: Feb 8th, 2013, 5:02 pm
Location: The fine line between reality and fantasy

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby Anonymous123 » Jun 8th, 2018, 4:24 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:
Congratulations on your first post, and welcome to the forums. Did I strike a nerve? You must have been one of the "dignitaries in attendance" that needs to be noticed. If they really wanted to save money, why didn't they open up the old RCMP station for the homeless? Too close to City Hall?


TMBOkanagan wrote:House the homeless in jail cells?


Why not? The building is up to code.
We See
We Judge
User avatar
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2849
Likes: 2359 posts
Liked in: 1692 posts
Joined: Feb 8th, 2013, 5:02 pm
Location: The fine line between reality and fantasy

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby Jim Dixon » Jun 8th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Anonymous123 wrote:
..............why didn't they open up the old RCMP station for the homeless? Too close to City Hall?


At first read, I thought you said 'To close city hall' - my slight lexicdys had me all excited for nothing. But why not close city hall, and use that? No one seems to be doing anything there anyway, and move council and staff to the streets and alleyways.

just think'n s'all...

j.
WARNING::: Anything you say can and will be taken out of context and used against you in a Court of Social Media.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Jim Dixon
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 731
Likes: 68 posts
Liked in: 84 posts
Joined: Aug 29th, 2005, 9:19 am
Location: Earth - but that too is temporary.

Re: BC Housing for Homeless for Kelowna okay'ed! Did you agr

Postby JayByrd » Jun 9th, 2018, 12:39 pm

Jflem1983 wrote:As usual i agree with some of your post. Where i differ . I think its better to get people off the street. I support forced rehab and work camps. Some people call that facist. I say. Ok fine. Its facist. Lets try it


If you knew what rehabilitation is, you'd know you can't force people to do it.
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3641
Likes: 705 posts
Liked in: 1667 posts
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Central Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], Grandan, madadam and 7 guests